Quad FM3

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Paul V, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Paul V

Paul V

Hello guys and gals

I'm tempted to pick up a decent version of the Quad FM3 off ebay to compare to my FM4. I feel the FM4 is lacking something in my system - a little flat, airless maybe. Has anybody got/heard both and if so could you give me a rundown of what the differences in presentation are, if any ??.

If I didn't like it I could always sell it on again, but would like an idea of whether I'd be getting more of what I want from radio b4 I splash out if possible...

I'd listen mostly to radio 3 and 4. Will probably invest in a set-top box to run to DAC64 for pop stations.

Paul

Paul V, Jun 16, 2005
  2. Paul V

lordsummit moderate mod

Does it have to be a Quad, my Sansui 717 sounds great, as does the Pioneer 7500 I heard, older Kenwoods (trio) sound fab too. I'd be tempted to try on of those

lordsummit, Jun 16, 2005
  3. Paul V

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

I've got a FM3 boxed up in the basement. I bought it second hand in 1979, it's the only item I still own from my very first system. Whilst I love the thing aesthetically and would never sell it, it is not in all honesty an especially great tuner. IIRC the tuning front end is only a three gang which probably accounts for it's quite remarkable lack of sensitivity / selectivity. The other thing it has going against it is a very low output, it is DIN, not line level in specification, so with a normal modern amp you end up with the volume knob cranked up very high indeed. Given a good roof aerial in a good location it is a nice sounding little tuner, though it is pretty obvious it was designed when the FM band was far less crowded – it can be hard keeping it locked to a stereo station.

Personally I'd buy a nice big 70s Japanese tuner if I were you – I currently use an old 1975 Pioneer TX 7500 that cost me just 43 quid on eBay. The TX 7500 is definitely better than the Quad sonically and is a joy to use with it's heavy weighted tuning knob etc. Many of the big 70s Japanese tuners are worth a look; check out www.fmtunerinfo.com

Tony.

TonyL, Jun 16, 2005
  4. Paul V

zanash

The FM4 is one of those bits of kit thats time less.....what are you running it into ?
    I presume you have a decent aerial. It's not the very best tuner ever built but you will need to go a long way to get better. IMO its open and natural therefore relaxed. I run the 77tuner via digital cable [analouge feed ] It is just short of the best aerial signal but all the stations avaiable are of equal signal quality...except the compressed pop chanels that I don't listen to much.

zanash, Jun 16, 2005
  5. Paul V

Paul V

Tony - thanks vm for the advice and link.

Zanash - am running it into Border Patrol amps, Living Voice speakers. The aerial's good and roof-mounted. It could well be that by upgrading my amp and speakers I've shown up the Quad to be not quite the best.

I'm not sure whether I need/want to spend loads on a Magnum Dynalab/Troughline so I will think further. Are there any other old tuners out there, valve especially, apart from the ones Tony's suggested, which will give modern ones a run for their money but don't cost a bomb ??.

Paul

Paul V, Jun 16, 2005
  6. Paul V

zanash

and your cables ?

zanash, Jun 16, 2005
  7. Paul V

lordsummit moderate mod

Have a good trawl through www.fmtunerinfo.com

The best ones are Kenwood (Known as Trio in the UK), Sansui, Pioneer, and Marantz. You're looking for as many gangs and filters as possible. I picked my 717 up for about £65 a couple of months ago. Looks lovely and sounds even better!
    [​IMG]
    The Marantz ones are brilliant with a 'magic eye' but you have to be careful, one or two of them are low spec, but tricked out, and they still fetch a premium on Ebay. They were the hardest to sort out when I was looking.
    Have a good look through the site, and see what you fancy.
    If you must have valves, the emporium has a stereo troughline 3 for £120, and one of the best toughline/decoder combo's at £350.

lordsummit, Jun 16, 2005
Ask a Question