Qucik stylus/advice wanted

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amazingtrade, Apr 22, 2005.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

The shops shut at five and some how I am having problems concentrating on my work so I have a little bit of spare time.

My records are getting quite crackely and my slytus needle is not as long as it was when it was new this time last year a bit of ware is evident.

Also my cartridge is now 5 years old so I think it will be replaced. I can't find my protractor or anything so if I was replace my cartirdge I would want to get pretty much the same one I have already got.

Is it worth me getting the OM10 cartridge? I have the OM5 at the moment?

My stylus is now 1 year old and has probably had about 300 hours of play.

Last time I didn't notice my stylus had gone until all the records were slipping but I noticed a major increase in sound quality when I replaced it.

What should I do? Replace it now or wait till the stylus has completly gone?

Thanks.

amazingtrade, Apr 22, 2005
  2. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

300 hours is low on a stylus. Clean your records instead, or check VTF etc..

penance, Apr 22, 2005
  3. amazingtrade

Could it be the cartirdge that has gone? Since that is 5 years old, the records are clean I have just cleaned them, whats VTF?

4. amazingtrade

Markus S Trade

If the stylus really shows visible signs of wear, by all means replace it. But penance is right, 300 hours is nothing for a modern diamond stylus, the alignment would have to be seriously off to cause appreciable wear after such a low mileage.

If you really need a new stylus, don't just drop it in in place of the old one, set up the cart right.

VTF = vertical tracking force

Markus S, Apr 22, 2005
  5. amazingtrade

Miss alignment may well be the problem my settings have not been touched since the deck left Czech in 2000.

The needle is about 1mm thick but I am sure when it was new it was more like 2mm.

Just inspected it closely and it really does look badly warn :(

6. amazingtrade

Its with out a doubt waren the needle is only just about visible to to the eye. I am not sure what to do though. I am confused :(.

Should I change the cartridge and stylus and then check the settings?

Just compared it to one on the ortofon website and mine is well warn is comparison, I am going to the shop now and I will ask them for advice to what the problem might be. The shop are good like that.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2005
  7. amazingtrade

Anex Thermionic

Check all your settings first before you buy anything new.

Anex, Apr 22, 2005
  8. amazingtrade

The damage is done though the needle is not visible even 50cm away.

9. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

I doubt it would be :rolleyes:

Seriously AT, get the settings sorted before wasting cash. You cant really tell if a stylus is worn by eye.

penance, Apr 22, 2005
  10. amazingtrade

Joe

It sounds like you need a new stylus (or a new cartridge if the stylus isn't interchangeable). You should set up the cartridge using a two-point protactor, (if you haven't got and can't borrow one, you can get one for the cost of postage via http://www.enjoythemusic.com/freestuff.htm). Set the tracking force using a stylus gauge (Shure do a basic one for about £20), and adjust the vertical tracking angle if this can be adjusted (on some arms/decks it can't be).

Properly set up as described above a diamond stylus should be good for a couple of years assuming reasonably frequent use. Clean it frequently and it'll last longer and won't damage your records.

Joe, Apr 22, 2005
  11. amazingtrade

Anex Thermionic

AT: The needle (cantilever- metal bit) doesn't wear out as it doesn't actually touch the playing surface, its the diamond tip that suffers wear and like Penanace says, you can't check that properly by eye.
    Check your settings, you might be suprised.

Anex, Apr 22, 2005
  12. amazingtrade

Its just when its new it was clearly visible but maybe this wear is just normal.

I will wait a bit longer though before wasting my money. I do have a protractor some where but I have no idea where it is.

I should really be doing my work anyway rather than going into town in rush our.

13. amazingtrade

Yep by the needle I meant the diamond tip.

With regard to settings I have no idea what I am supposed to be checking for.

14. amazingtrade

Anex Thermionic

Anex, Apr 22, 2005
  15. amazingtrade

Ken

Maybe it the eyes that have worn not the stylus ;)

Ken

Ken, Apr 22, 2005
  16. amazingtrade

Thanks I will have a read of that, I am watching the record spin now and the is clearly enough diamond tip so I think people were right here when they said its probably not warn.

There seems to be little settings on my deck, the arm weight seems to be screwed into position so it can't come moved out of place. The counter weight however may be the problem.

I've adjusted this a bit and seems a little bit better the treble seems a tad high.

I might just leave it till I can afford a new deck.

17. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

AT, if you dont have scales how have you adjusted?
    Dont mess unless you have the kit to set it up properly, if you get it wrong it can screw the cart.

Also, what is 'warn'?

penance, Apr 22, 2005
  18. amazingtrade

Joe

Anex has given a link to the long answer. the short answer is that there are two settings you definitely need to check:

1) Is the cartridge aligned properly in the headshell? (check using an alignment protractor)

2) Is tracking weight set within the range recommended by the cartridge manufacturer? (look on manufacturer's website for recommended weight if you haven't got documentation for the cartridge; check the tracking weight using a stylus gauge)

Joe, Apr 22, 2005
  19. amazingtrade

I mean't worn, there is 3 notches on the counter weight, I moved it one notch, the arm weight cannot be adjusted, the cartirdge has the same alignment when it did when it was new, I have never touched this, the only thing that can be wrong is the counter weight as its just a little weight on a piece of string, the string goes into 3 notches. Its a very very basic and simple arm.

20. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

er, i think a weight on string will be anti skate force. The counter weight (which is the arm weight) will be adjustable when you undo the grub screw.
    It makes no difference whether you have changed alignment, it can still go off if the screws are not so tight (dont go trying to see if they are tight or not!)

penance, Apr 22, 2005
Ask a Question