Question about Marantz CD5400

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tebbs, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Tebbs

Tebbs

Hello all,
    Have recently made my first steps into hifi after years in the darkness that was an aiwi mini system...
    I bought a Cambridge Audio A5 amp and CD36 but the transformer on the CD36 was obscenely loud and I took it back and the replacement was the same. So I upgraded it to a Marantz CD5400. Now Im not too sure that the Marantz is A1 as on almost every CD I own it stops for about half a second after playing for a little while, Spins up to speed as if its searching quickly then starts again. Needless to say this spoils the music somewhat and I wonder if this is a fault with scratched CD's or the CD player or what. It sounds like on a PC when the cd player has run out of buffer and its having to go back and get more music before continuing.
    Any ideas people? Is it bust?

Andrew Tebbs

Tebbs, Dec 18, 2003
  2. Tebbs

MartinC Trainee tea boy

Take it back to the shop. That sounds like a faulty transport/laser to me.

MartinC, Dec 18, 2003
  3. Tebbs

Tebbs

Ok, Thanks for the reply. Its funny though, It hasnt done it today in the 2 albums Ive listened to. Is it the kind of thing that could for whatever reason wear in?
    If it does it again I'll take it back and be on my 4th CD player in 3 weeks :rolleyes:

Tebbs, Dec 18, 2003
  4. Tebbs

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

All the current Richer Sounds CD players seem to have that problem. I bought a CD32 for my sister for christmas that hummed, the one I bought before that Accustic Solutions hummed so bad it I exchanged it for the Cambridge.

To me the Cambridge Audio CD3x range seems to be poor quality crap.

amazingtrade, Dec 18, 2003
  5. Tebbs

cookiemonster

Does it have a noisy transport? I have one which i thought was too noisy. Never skipped or anything like that though. Plays perfect.

cookiemonster, Dec 18, 2003
  6. Tebbs

Tebbs

I read your thread about the noisy transport a bit earlier and you say you can hear it from 8 ft. yeah? What kinda sound level are we talking from the speakers that you can hear the transport above. I can hear the transport when Im about 8ft away if the volume is right down extremely low so its a strain to hear it but apart from that its pretty quiet. Some CD's seem noisy (mostly copys, I guess its the artists getting there own back but I was once a poor kid without an allowance and a love of not working) whereas other CD's seem very quiet so that I have to get within a couple of feet to hear it at all.

Tebbs

Tebbs, Dec 18, 2003
  7. Tebbs

cookiemonster

yes - the music was basically silent to be able to distinguish it at 8ft. but once i knew it was there i couldn't get it out of my head. my new transport is inaudible though, even with your ear up against it. So i was using silence as a benchmark, and unfortunately, the marantz just whizzed too much for me (others i asked never saw what the problem was though - so best not to take too much notice of my observations). It will be in someone else's possession soon.

cheers

8. Tebbs

Tebbs

im afraid I also have this affliction of noises once heard angering me. What transport did you replace it with and how much did it set you back? Im cool with it just about at the moment, Its nowhere near as annoying as a transformer buzz but just wanna think for the future.

Tebbs, Dec 18, 2003
  9. Tebbs

cookiemonster

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2003
Ask a Question