Question about ordering from the states...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, Oct 15, 2003.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I am considering importing a pair of Sony MDR-CD3000 headphones from the United States. I believe that the cans are ordered from a site called "Audiocubes", but the cans themselves are actually shipped from Japan.

Can I expect to pay some kind of duty / tax when they get here, and how much. The current exchange rate price for the CD3000 works out at being something like £226, so if I did have to pay tax, how much could I expect to pay?

PBirkett, Oct 15, 2003
  2. PBirkett

penance Arrogant Cock

Hi Paul
    Yup im afraid you are meant to pay tax, they can charge you VAT on the value of the goods and also i believe import duties. I got caught for VAT but never import.
    It seems dependent on delivery method (well in my case) seems that if it goes thru the mail system your more likely to get caught. The Royal mail will hold the parcel untill you go and pay, they also add a percentage admin charge for the pleasure. But every time ive had stuff delivered by international courier ive had no charge at all

penance, Oct 15, 2003
  3. PBirkett

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Paul, you will pay VAT on the total price including shipping & Carriage (17.5%) + 4% import tax oh and a handling charge of between £8-12 from either Parcel Farce/Royal mail/UPS or DHL. Wm

wadia-miester, Oct 15, 2003
  4. PBirkett

cookiemonster

There are plenty of sites which will ship those cans internationally Paul? E.G.

http://www.compare4price.com/Sony_MDR_CD3000_Digital.htm

Why are they only distributed in the States BTW?

EDITED TO ADD : Actually i believe they are distributed in Europe too - but not in the UK? Would it be easier to get them from the 'mainland' somehow?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2003
    cookiemonster, Oct 15, 2003
  5. PBirkett

penance Arrogant Cock

no VAT when purchased from the EU;)

penance, Oct 15, 2003
  6. PBirkett

cookiemonster

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2003
  7. PBirkett

penance Arrogant Cock

i think you pay the VAT in the country you purchase from, German VAT is 16.5%

penance, Oct 15, 2003
  8. PBirkett

cookiemonster

Well go for a weekends boozing in Munich then, and smuggle 'em back in yer suitcase:)

9. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

So, the price could be nearer £300 then do you reckon? Where might be the best country to order from?

PBirkett, Oct 15, 2003
  10. PBirkett

cookiemonster

Why is it that certain products are not globally available, especially in the case of a massive international company such as Sony. And the MDR-CD3000, as far as i am aware, are one of THE headphones. Are they not selling themselves short by not distributing them in the UK? What's the reason for it?

Can you not buy them privately through punters on headfi Paul - may be cheaper and less hassle?

11. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Might well be mate, but the CD3000's seem to last a matter of minutes on that forum before they are sold, but it sure seems like it might be the best option.

PBirkett, Oct 15, 2003
  12. PBirkett

batfink

Nope, the seller can reclaim VAT on exports and you have to pay the UK input VAT (17.5%). I think anything over and above £17 is susceptible for VAT. Also, you do have to pay input VAT when ordering from the EU (although you are more likely to get away without doing so compared to ordering from the states). If you get charged UK VAT, you will have paid VAT twice (the export VAT from the source country and the input VAT from the UK) and can in theory claim relief on the VAT paid overseas, although it is likely to be very difficult to do so.

It is very dependant on who delivers the product as to whether they check it and charge you VAT etc.

batfink, Oct 15, 2003
  13. PBirkett

penance Arrogant Cock

yup

over £500 of stuff from germany, paid german vate wich negated payement of UK VAT

penance, Oct 15, 2003
  14. PBirkett

Paul Ranson

I think you will pay the vat in Germany but not in the UK. If you're VAT registered then the German supplier can charge you the net price and you account for the VAT at UK rates on your next return.

Free trade and all that.... Except in cars, tobacco and alcohol, and probably a million other things.

Paul

Paul Ranson, Oct 15, 2003
  15. PBirkett

batfink

£25 worth of stuff from France and I was charged UK VAT (only once with Amazon.fr though and have ordered from other French sites many times)

batfink, Oct 15, 2003
Ask a Question