Racks (not again). Ideas?

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Speedy381, May 28, 2007.

1. Speedy381

Speedy381

I know there is a lot of traffic about equipment racks, but I am trying to figure out the best way around my number of boxes.

On re-discovering the hifi bug i promised my wife that the box count and visual impact would be kept to a minimum. This has graduated from an SB3 and small power amp to an SB+, very large power amp, pre and phono stages. Oh, and the LP12 and Lingo. Luckily the silent linux box hides behind the sofa to feed the SB+.

Anyway, I now need to rack a full width+ Korato power amp - needing plenty of free space above (total 260mm shelf height) and 7x 300mm (well, 6 and a Lingo 1) wide boxes. Plus hang the LP12 on top, or wall shelf. All this in a corner, preferably only 750mm wide at the most.

If anyone can picture the solution in their head, or better still in the flesh, I would be most grateful. At the moment I have in mind a low 750mm trestle, over the power amp, with two tripod structures onto that, with 4 shelves each (for balance) side by side.

Ian

Speedy381, May 28, 2007
  2. Speedy381

DavidF

Hi Ian,

I see this is your ist post....welcome!

I'm currently looking into this myself.....there would appear to be 101 diifferent ways of doing it....

for example (aesthetically) do you want metal or wood?

from persoanal experience , the ability to isolate your kit from external resonances is a good thing to look for..

ie spiked feet etc.

eg check out the "hold the music" web site for some nice ideas. (is that alright Mark?...could n't copy a link or would have done)

David

DavidF, May 29, 2007
  3. Speedy381

Knightshade

No problem David, by the way, take a look at y last post on the zero cost isolation thread, let me know if you fancy having a play.

Knightshade, May 29, 2007
  4. Speedy381

Speedy381

Thanks David,

I am following the bearing thread as well, and will try to incorporate shelves on bearings as well if possible. I may end up TNT'ing, but trying to resist that route.

The Hold The Music style is what I am now thinking (and was before I looked at the website, honest), but with one rear leg and narrower, doubled up on top of a trestle. It is starting to sound messy now.

Ian

Speedy381, May 29, 2007
  5. Speedy381

Knightshade

Hello Speedy,
    I don't mind anyone getting inspiration from what's on my site providing they build it themselves. If you're good enough to do it then i'm not going to get your money anyway!
    However, I don't want people using the designs and giving them to a local chippy to knock up!
    If you need any advice then feel free to ask away and I'll see if I can help.

Cheers

Mark

Knightshade, May 29, 2007
Ask a Question