Radulescu's Bach organ integral

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by bat, Sep 21, 2004.

1. bat

bat Connoisseur Par Excelence

Is this too good to be true?
    Michael Radulescu has recorded a 20-CD "L'oeuvre d'orgue" with the Ahrend organ of Porrentrey.

bat, Sep 21, 2004
  2. bat

pe-zulu

Dear Bat
    Yes it is almost too good, but where did you read this?
    Cheers

pe-zulu, Sep 21, 2004
  3. bat

4. bat

Pe-zulu, what do you know about Radulescu? i like his Clavierübung III a lot (the final record that I ever bought).

bat, Sep 24, 2004
  5. bat

pe-zulu

Dear Bat
    Michael Radulescu was a pupil of Anton Heiller and became
    afterwards one of the first historically informed organists in Europe. He should in that respect be mentioned along with Marie-Claire Alain, Lutger Lohmann, Wolfgang Rübsam among others.
    He is well known and respected as a teacher and composer.
    My former organteacher took part in some of his mastercourses in Denmark in the 1980ies and spoke of him as a wery inspiring teacher.
    He has -as far as I know- only made 2 recordings (except for the 20 CDBach-set) and these are
    Bach:Clavierübung III 1992 for Deutsche Harmonia Mundi and
    Muffat: Apparatus Musico-Organisticus 1994 for Ars Musici.
    I know both, and would describe his Bach-playing as informed and reliable but also cautious and a bit pale in expression. From an artistic and tecnical point of view he cannot compare with the abovementioned names. He does better in the Muffat toccatas where the competition is
    less strong, but he is still a little lacking in artistic autority, and does not manage quite to show the inner coherence of the individual toccatas. Howewer the complete Bach (inclusive Die Kunst der Fuge) for about 260 Euro may still be attractive as a supplement to other
    recordings. But if I were allowed to chose only one recording, I think the Wolfgang Rübsam set for Naxos
    is the sovereign second to none.
    Venlig hilsen

pe-zulu, Sep 26, 2004
Ask a Question