RB250 Sumiko set up to stop the skips

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by doctor-bond, Dec 3, 2006.

1. doctor-bond

doctor-bond

Hi - I've just stepped back into the warm world of vinyl, but am having some problems setting up, and could do with some experto advice. [I've searched the forum without much luck].

Turntable is a Systemdek IIx with an Origin Live fully modded RB250.
    I've just added a new Sumiko BLue Point Evo III, and playing through my Audio Innovations 800 and Neat Petites the results are stunning .... but only on the outer tracks of an album!

Get to the inner third and regardless of record quality, it starts skipping [backwards repeats].

Cartridge alignment is set so the cartridge front is at 90 degrees to the tracks at the middle of the record.

Tracking weight is set at the top end of the recommended allowance. Going any higher will defeat the suspension, so I'm loath to do so.

The sumiko aparently isn't overly affected by skate, and regarless of setting, it still skips.

The arm moves freely and is unobstructed by the raise/lower mechanism.

The only adjustment I havent made is VTA: the arm sits slightly lower than parallel at the counterweight end; I haven't fiddled as the sound when not skipping is a great mix of glittering transients and whopping bass [the kettle drums on Peter and the Wolf are awseome].

Could it be that it just needs running in [clutches at nearby straw]? Or do I need to get busy with VTA tinkering.
    What effect does moving the cartridge back or forth in its headshell have [it's right at the front at the moment]?
    How do I test if the anti-skate is working properly?

Sorry for all the questions - any advice greatly appreciated as I'm loving the valve/vinyl marriage, but many of my fave tracks are near the middle!

cheers

Jon :)

doctor-bond, Dec 3, 2006
  2. doctor-bond

penance Arrogant Cock

What anti skate do you have set?
    Also I think you need to realign your cartridge with a protractor.

penance, Dec 3, 2006
  3. doctor-bond

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

How much clearance is there beneath the rear of the arm and the edge of the record when playing? I've seen arms knocked by record warps before now - it can be an issue with a shallow cart and a 'down at the back' VTA setting. Failing that, and assuming that the VTF and bias are correct and the deck is level, it sounds like either your cart or arm bearings are toast.

Tony.

TonyL, Dec 3, 2006
  4. doctor-bond

RobHolt Moderator

Check the little black curved platform that lifts/lowers the arm.
    If this is bent or incorrectly seated - and they often are - it will start to lift the arm as it nears the inner tracks.

RobHolt, Dec 3, 2006
  5. doctor-bond

Ant

Set the arm so it floats and check the free running side to side. My OL1 used to bind sometimes.

Ant, Dec 3, 2006
  6. doctor-bond

doctor-bond

Thanks all - I think I've neglected the cartridge geometry. I'll get a decent protractor then reassess.

doctor-bond, Dec 3, 2006
  7. doctor-bond

Mark P

You can adjust the height of the arm lift with an allen key. Check that the arm isn't catching the arm lift horizontal bar as you traverse the record.

This has caught me out before.

Mark P, Dec 14, 2006
  8. doctor-bond

zanash

look at the pivot point to spindle distance.....

but the geometry sounds off to me

zanash, Dec 15, 2006
Ask a Question