RCA less IC's

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by zanash, Apr 12, 2004.

1. zanash

zanash

I have to thank (?) Kit for this. As he has been using RCA less IC's It got me turning the grey matter over.
    So the Qestion was how to make an RCAless IC that would be easily unplugable and stay put where you wanted it.
    So here goes, I used silver as I had it to hand but copper will work as well.
    Cut two equal lengths of 3.1mm and 1.91mm PTFE sleeve, cut two lenghts of wire that are at least 20%longer than the sleeves. I used 1mm dia and 0.5mm dia solid core silver wire.
    Thread the thin wire through the thin sleeve place the thin sleeveand wire next to the thickwire and thread both through the bigger sleeve.
    Slit the outer sleeve 10mm at both ends and exit the thicker wire from the top of each slit. Cut the thiner wire so that about 15mm protrudes from each end, then bend it back over both sleeves by 3 - 4 mm wrapping the remainder back overitself. You have now made the centre pin, this should with a little effort slide into the hole in the RCA socket, if not you need to cut a wedge from the outer sleeve where you made the slit, alternatively make the slit sleeve overlap its self .....this is not an exact science !
    Take the thick wire and wrap it round the rca socket's ground contact. In effect your making a spring, the end of the wire then needs to be bent inward to make contact , this will effectively tighten the spring making it grip the outer collar of the RCA socket. Just repeat at the other end. It took me ten minutes to get one made. How do they sound ......well I'm still smileing !

Happy tweaking .......

zanash, Apr 12, 2004
Ask a Question