Receiver/Amplifier Matching

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by RisenWarrior, Feb 22, 2024.

1. RisenWarrior

RisenWarrior

so im building my first home theater/stereo system and while im no stranger to stereo systems, its mainly been car stereos so there are a lot of things im not sure of and just want to make sure i do right to the best out of the brands im wanting to use. so to start out im gonna be using the Yamaha V4A for my receiver. just something a little above entry and has all of the features im looking for especially since im opting out of using an external EQ (ive also heard that external EQs dont really make sense anymore considering what modern receivers are capable of)? for my speakers i was looking in to the Cerwin Vega XLS series. the 12's for my mains and the C6 and XLS 6s to fill the rest out. here is where things get a little tricky for me personally being new to all this. im wanting to run an external amplifier (i was looking at the Emotiva BasX A2 to only run amplification to my 2 mains) and try bi-amping the speakers. from what i have read, bi-amping allows me to use the internal amp power from the receiver as well as the external amplifier (if im wrong please correct me lol) to power my speakers. the receiver is rated at 80 watts per channel @ 8 ohms and the amplifier is rated at 140 watts with 2 channels driven @ 8 ohms. the XLS 12's are rated at 300 watts and while i would not be pushing them to their max, i feel like 240 watts is good power for what kind of speakers they are. i just want the max and best performance out of these speakers and if im wrong on any of this and there are better ways to power this system to its full potential, i would appreciate the advice and help. thank you!

RisenWarrior, Feb 22, 2024
Ask a Question