Records Recently Heard of music composed after 1791.

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by alanbeeb, Nov 11, 2005.

1. alanbeeb

walnut Burrrr....

Hi Pete,

I was thinking of getting this CD as I'm a sucker for a piano concerto! I already have several of this series (Litolff, Saint-Saens, Pierne). While they are good performances and recordings, overall I find the acoustic a little bit 'dead' in comparison with, for example, the Rimsky-Ks' Piano Concerto (Tozer) tucked onto the end of the 3rd Symphony (Chandos 7029[2]) and many other piano recordings. I was wondering if you were aware of any other CD releases of the Balakirev, as I don't seem able to find any? Many thanks.

walnut, Oct 12, 2006
  2. alanbeeb

PeteH Natural Blue

Hi walnut,

It is an excellent series isn't it :) . If the Chandos / Tozer / Medtner recordings are anything to go by, it's likely that pretty much anything will sound 'dead' by comparison with the Chandos version! There is a Chandos version of Balakirev's 1st, and if you search on MDT you'll find a few others too.

FWIW I think there's room for both approaches - the close-up / explicit / clear / dry kind of sound is for me a valid alternative to the distant / spacious / reverberant / indistinct approach Chandos often seems to favour; there are advantages and disadvantages with each.

PeteH, Oct 12, 2006
  3. alanbeeb

walnut Burrrr....

Hi Pete,

I'm not familiar with the Chandos / Tozer / Medtner recordings. Unfortunately I've got the Naxos / Scherbakov / Medtners' which really are vague and indistinct. They are a great disappointment and I wouldn't recommend them.

Regarding the Hyperions http://www.the-woods.co.uk/ (an 'unusual' site composed mainly of lists) have an offer of 3 for £9.49 each until the end of the month. I shall be treating myself to some!

Thanks for pointing out MDT. I don't know why I've overlooked it as it is a very useful source of information and hopefully a few CDs. :D

walnut, Oct 13, 2006
  4. alanbeeb

walnut Burrrr....

Yesterday I picked up a s/h 'Mendelssohn Complete String Symphonies (Vol.1)' Broughton / ESO / Nimbus NI 5141 from 1988. This is wonderful. The performance is engaging and the recording offers a full, rich and sonorous sound that I find very seductive. Even better, the Vol.1 bit implies that there are more. :D

walnut, Oct 15, 2006
  5. alanbeeb

tones compulsive cantater

Sorry, Richard, only just noticed this. I don't go out actively hunting for replacements, but when the opportunity to get a CD version of an old LP favourite arises, I grab it. The records? I keep them out of a misplaced sense of nostaglia and a well-placed sense of smell. Smell? you ask. Well, they stink. They were in storage for quite a while when we moved to Switzerland, and mildew got in. I have them all in individual Ziplock bags! If someone knows how they can be deponged, I'm all ears.

tones, Oct 18, 2006
  6. alanbeeb

Just rediscovered an old friend. About a million years ago, Stanley Black recorded an LP of Russian favourites with the Royal Philharmonic and called it "Sputniks for Orchestra". I think it was on Decca originally (mine is World Record Club Australia). This includes the best version of Tchaikovsky's other patriotic piece, the "Marche Slave", I've ever heard. It builds up at the end to an awesome roar as the Tsarist National Anthem reaches its climax. Marvellous! Must play it again...

tones, Feb 11, 2007
  7. alanbeeb

[​IMG]
    Very enjoyable! (Ditto "Toot Suite", written for Maurice André).

tones, Feb 17, 2007
Ask a Question