Rectifier diodes

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by ChrisPa, Aug 19, 2005.

1. ChrisPa

ChrisPa

I want to replace the rectifier diodes in my Marantz CD6000 (amongst other things, but let's concentrate on one bit at a time). I'm about to fit an Audiocom Superclock 2 and thought it was worth attacking at the rectifier diodes while it's in bits.

Any reason why I shouldn't use 11DQ10 Schottky's (as suggested by Zanash)? They seem highly affordable. Anything better while I'm making the effort?

Thanks as usual

Chris

ChrisPa, Aug 19, 2005
  2. ChrisPa

zanash

They are the biggest bang for your bucks..............

If you have the standard 1n400x type diode.....you should notice a big lead forward ask rsand about his copland !

zanash, Aug 19, 2005
  3. ChrisPa

ChrisPa

Audiocom have told me that hexfreds are even better than schottkys. I understand (some of) the theory about soft recovery.

Anyone have any experience?

Chris

ChrisPa, Aug 25, 2005
  4. ChrisPa

zanash

Well the would .....wouldn't they !

If you get the 11DQ10's from RS at about a £0.75 each against the Hexafreds [I can't find audiocoms price]

nice thread here explains the difference.
    http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=8683

penny for penny schottky's can't be bettered, In the fifteen or so bits of kit I've fitted these to inc....cdps, phono pre's, minidisc's, tuners, and others everyone made a leap forward in sound quality do soley to the lack of noise injected into the following stages by the psu.

zanash, Aug 25, 2005
  5. ChrisPa

ChrisPa

Thanks. I'd already skimmed through that thread, hence my comment about understanding some of the theory.

No, I haven't got a price back from Audiocom yet. I've won one of their Superclock2's on fleabay and decided (based on your article as well as many other comments/discussions I've read over the years) that schottkys were the way to go, and therefore I might as well order them at the same time. Audiocom suggested I hold fire until he has some hexfreds in stock. I guess if they're cheap enough I'll give them a go. If not, then at 70p each I'll definitely fit schottkys. They're certainly easier to fit, as I don't believe hexfreds come in axially leaded packages.

Thanks

Chris

ChrisPa, Aug 25, 2005
  6. ChrisPa

zanash

the 11DQ10 are certainly wortha punt and are a straight swap........if yu have problems sourcing anything give me a bell.

I can get most of the stuff in my article less than cost.......

just picked up a load of really sweat sounding vishay resistors on ebay......anyway that for another day.

zanash, Aug 26, 2005
Ask a Question