Reducing DC voltage

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by locky, Feb 3, 2006.

1. locky

locky

Hi There,
    I'm about to start another project - this time a 300W D-class amp from 41hz. I have located a SMPS which will give me 48vdc and the required wattage but I also need a 5 volt regulated supply for part of the circuit. What's the standard way of taking the 48vdc to about 9vdc? It will then pass through a 5 v regulator with the appropriate caps etc... On the last project I took a seperate ac/dc tX from the 240vac and rectified and regulated it, but this time I would rather take it rom the dc out of the SMPS so that it starts up at the same time.
    Any advice appreciated...

locky, Feb 3, 2006
  2. locky

felix part-time Horta

How much currentdo you need? Dropping 40v means you're going to dissipate quite a lot of heat... 40V is also too much differential to use an LM317 or similar.

One good way would be to use'd look at using a zener on the base of an emitter-follower (transistor) on a heatsink. This would also provide quite a lot of noise/ripple filtering before the local reg, no bad thing at all.

EDIT: see the 'zener + follower' section on this page: http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/regulators_noise3_e.html

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2006
    felix, Feb 3, 2006
  3. locky

spev

I've got a similar setup inside my amp here - +-40V dc reduced to +-16V by a zener setup, which then goes through a basic 317/337 to give me +-10V out the other side.

Got to be careful your zener resistor can supply enough current for whatever regulation/load you have after it

spev, Feb 3, 2006
  4. locky

zanash

Might just be simpler to add another transformer and rectify to your desired voltage.

zanash, Feb 3, 2006
  5. locky

locky

You may be right. My only concern is whether they will be a problem with the 5v supply starting up at a different time to the 40vdc from the SMPS. As far as I can see the 5v supply is for the section of the amp that converts the analog into digital before it reaches the Tripath chip. It is the AMp 2 from www.41hz.com

locky, Feb 3, 2006
Ask a Question