Reducing transmission of bass waves from sub to downstairs

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by PBirkett, Oct 12, 2005.

1. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Is there anything (however small) that would help make the bass from a subwoofer less troubling to those downstairs. The subwoofer is already on its minimum level (which I have to admit, is certainly adequate still in terms of output), but I am just after hints that might help, even a little.

I had thought of a slab underneath, but is there anything else I can do?

PBirkett, Oct 12, 2005
  2. PBirkett

Tim F

I believe pulling up the floorboards and putting very dense foam or other material in may help.

Tim F, Oct 12, 2005
  3. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Ack, I dont think that will be an option since its not actually my house.

I've done a teeny bit of reading on google so far, but its already beginning to look as if i may have my work cut out for me already.

I would certainly consider changing from my sub / sat combo to a bookshelf active speaker system as I do have a large desk, and would forgo some bass, if needs must.

I'm sure some guy called Andrew used to sell this kind of thing, and he lives near me, I wonder if he still comes on here...

PBirkett, Oct 12, 2005
  4. PBirkett

adam

You could try GRAMMA from Auralex,or better still contact Matty at RPG,and he will point you in the right direction.

adam, Oct 12, 2005
  5. PBirkett

Heuer

Echo that about Auralex Gramma. I have a Velodyne DD15 on one and it isolates the sub almost completely. You feel the bass but no resonance through the floor. Only costs £50 - you can get it from Cinema Experience http://www.cinemaexperience.com/

Heuer, Oct 12, 2005
  6. PBirkett

ditton happy old soul

I have some Gramma. it certainly tightens up the bass on what is otherwise a wooden floorboard.

ditton, Oct 12, 2005
  7. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Might be worth a try I guess... I've also just been reading about those Tannoy Reveal monitors that someone posted a review of on here - that looks interesting too -wonder how they compare to what i've got now...

PBirkett, Oct 12, 2005
  8. PBirkett

Rory satisfied

why not wall mount the aego sub on a wall bracket?

Rory, Oct 12, 2005
  9. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

The sub would fit on my desk too - but the monitor does not seem to like the vibrations it causes, and i get a slight strobing effect on it.

PBirkett, Oct 12, 2005
  10. PBirkett

penance Arrogant Cock

Paul,
    If you want to try cheap, i would suggest a B&Q patio slab with foam underneath. No scientific reasoning but id give it a go.

penance, Oct 12, 2005
  11. PBirkett

Tenson Moderator

Paul, if you are thinking od active speakers do try out the Alesis M1 Active. I have heard the Tannoy Reveal and I think these Alesis things are a good bit better. A lot better controlled, though as a result not so warm. Best sound you can get for £200 IMO.

Other reasons they may suit you better is they are front ported so you can place them next to a wall. Also look at the Tannoy.. it doesn't even have cooling fins for the amp, can't be very powerful ;)

I might have to try those Gamma things. There are a few points in my system where the floor resonates more than others. It sounds fine but it’s a tad annoying and if It means I can play louder with more bass and still not annoy people… then great! Especially as I am thinking of a subwoofer in the near future. How well do they work under main speakers?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2005
    Tenson, Oct 12, 2005
  12. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Thanks Tenson, I'll keep a look out for them. The other one I am quite liking the look of is the M-Audio BX8, but I gather nobody has heard these, but the specs look quite good - bi-amped drivers, each driver getting 65 watts of power, and a meaty 8" midbass driver, that somehow, seems overkill for nearfield listening, but hey, i could be wrong about that.

The Gramma looks interesting, but somehow, I am wary of buying something that costs £50 that may or may not work, for a set of speakers that itself was less than £100 !

Penance, I did try slabs under my speaker stands before, but that didnt really make much difference to the transmission of the noise IMO.

PBirkett, Oct 12, 2005
  13. PBirkett

Tenson Moderator

The BX-8 are good speakers, they have some points that are better than the Alesis such as stronger bass, but its not quite as tight and the Alesis ones go just as low. They have nice treble but seemed a little coloured and boxy in the midrange. I think the best way to sum them up is nice and full, but a little boxy. The Alesis are very clean and tight but maybe a but thin in comparison.

Tenson, Oct 12, 2005
  14. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

I've just had a look at the Alesis speakers and they do look nice!

As for the "thin" sound, well I'm guessing being nearfield thats not going to be too much of an issue really, and I was really rather happy with my Ela's when I had them, so its not as if i'm after tons of bass anyway. They're slightly cheaper than the BX8's too.

PBirkett, Oct 12, 2005
  15. PBirkett

mosfet

I owned a pair of the original passive MKI Alesis monitor ones and can't say I was too impressed Paul; the build quality was poor and the bass poorly defined. How the newer MKII's in active compare I don't know but I'd suggest you post on the Sound on Sound forums for a broader range of opinion if you're planning to go with active monitors. Also remember active studio monitors tend to take an XLR line level connection (some have additional unbalanced RCA inputs).

As you previously suggested you were looking for monitors with low frequency adjustment have a look at the Tapco S5 active. These monitors aren't particularly large ('desktop' size) but they are designed by Mackie who, arguably, make some of the best studio monitors around.

For the money (especially if you can still source a discounted MKI version) the Tannoy Reveals are excellent. Again if you search the Sound on Sound website you should be able to find some reviews. I wouldn't part with my MKI passive Reveals. :)

mosfet, Oct 12, 2005
  16. PBirkett

Tenson Moderator

Interesting! Do you mean the original ‘Monitor Ones’? I didn’t think they were too great, but I did like the MK2 Actives. I don't think much of the Reveal though, very bland. I don't think Mackie make very good studio monitors for music either, but they were surprisingly good in a surround setup! I heard the HR824.

The XLR is no problem, just pull the cold line to ground.

Tenson, Oct 12, 2005
  17. PBirkett

PBirkett VTEC Addict

Thanks for the opinions... XLR is not a problem BTW, my soundcard luckily features XLR outputs, although they are digital outs IIRC...

PBirkett, Oct 12, 2005
  18. PBirkett

bemcsa

I have tried lightly inflated inner tubes under slabs and it does help a bit (although the speakers do sway in the breeze :eek: ). I would be interested if anyone has compared this with foam.

bemcsa, Oct 12, 2005
  19. PBirkett

ditton happy old soul

I would be happy to loan mine for an extended trial. have to sort postage/delivery/collection details.

ditton, Oct 13, 2005
  20. PBirkett

Tim F

Hi Bemcsa,

I've tried this inner tube approach with my speakers and the bass sounded terrible. Not sure why though!

Tim F, Oct 13, 2005
Ask a Question