Rega 3 vs Myryad MI120 vs. Arcam AVR200

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by msageryd, Jul 7, 2004.

1. msageryd

msageryd

I have to make a decision before noon. Thought I might get some extra decision info from you guys. I thought I had HiFi before, but I now realize that there is no end in HiFi. What I had before cannot match either of this machines. I suppose that I'm only in the beginning of the HiFi-path.

- Rega Mira 3
    - Myryad MI120
    - Arcam AVR200

I have tried all with the same CD player (Myryad MCD200). Speakers are Tannoy Revolution R2.

Right now it stands between Myryad and Arcam. I'm a bit surprised that I didn't like the Rega amp. Have I treated it wrongly? Doesn't it mate well with the Myryad CD?

In my opinion the rega sounds kind of "dry". I like it when everything is exact and detailed, but the Rega seems to be too exact. It's nearly harsh. Could this be true?

The Myryad seems to be the "livliest".

The Arcam is very close to the Myryad, but maybe a bit more boring. I don't know how to express this. Boring is not the right term... I'll try to illustrate with an example:

Music: Anastacia, loud and clear voice. Firm and cool guitarr playing, fast beat.

Her voice:
    - Rega: a bit harch in the high tones
    - Myryad: I really like it.
    - Arcam: Same as Myryad, but less lively

Guitarr playing:
    - Rega: Exact. But lacks something (don't have a clue of what it is)
    - Myryad: Also exact. Feels very fast (can I say that about an amp?)
    - Arcam: meybe even more exact, but also lacking something (something else)

After writing the above I realize that I will probably not be understood at all..

As you can see, I'm really leaning towards the Myryad. But I have read almost the oposite of what I think. People say that Myryad is boring. I will for sure base my decision on my own listening. But I'm worried that I have missed something in my tests. Why does others think the oposite?

Well.. If you can contribute to my decision based on the above text I'd be happy. But If you cannot, I fully understand you. The above text feels like a mess. The same goes for my head after trying to figure out which machine to get.

/Michael

msageryd, Jul 7, 2004
  2. msageryd

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

I have a Mira 2; it tells it like it is - Anastacia's voice IS harsh (I can hear this on midi systems and discmen as well - based on her album "Not that kind"; the Rega is telling it like it is, the Arcam is muffling it (it IS an AV amp!) and the Myryad I can't comment on, as I've not heard it :)

That said, if you like the Myryad over the Rega, go for it - it's your ears and taste, and AFAIK Myryad are fairly well respected.

The Rega stuff will DEFINITELY be "drier" than the Arcam stuff - which to me sounds muffled and slow - based on an Arcam A85 I demmed when I tried the Rega (amongst others such as the Naim NAIT5 and Rotel and NAD stuff).

domfjbrown, Jul 7, 2004
Ask a Question