Rega or SME IV on restored Garrard 401?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by JohnMak, Dec 20, 2004.

1. JohnMak

JohnMak

Do any forummers have experience with these two arms?

The SME IV is around three times the price of an Incognito wired RB300 and I wonder if the difference in sound between the two is worth the cost.

I have a chance to buy either at a discounted price (brand new) but without audition. So any advice is welcome.

JohnMak, Dec 20, 2004
  2. JohnMak

JohnMak

Whoops,
    Sorry I forgot to add that I plan to use either Dynavector 17D or Denon 103R with the arm. Some enthusiast tell me this makes a big difference in which arm to choose.

JohnMak, Dec 20, 2004
  3. JohnMak

Mr.C

The 17D has a VERY short cantilever and is not best matched to the SME - I know from experience as I used a 17D with my 309 for a short while. I now use a Denon DL304 with my 309 with much success. However, the 17D is well matched to the Rega arms - apparently...I have no experience of this myself. Nothing beats an SME for sheer quality of engineering though - they are a joy to own in many respects (they reproduce music pretty damn well too :) )

Mr.C, Dec 20, 2004
  4. JohnMak

Mr.C

By the way, I forgot to mention that I use my SME/Denon combo on a custom build Garrard 401, a set-up which has never given me anything less than pure musical pleasure.

Mr.C, Dec 20, 2004
  5. JohnMak

JohnMak

Mr C,
    Many thanks for the response and the info re the Dynavector and is short cantilever.
    These forums are a great asset in being able to benefit from others experience and knowlege in these things.

Many thanks.

JohnMak, Dec 21, 2004
Ask a Question