Repacement transport for a Marantz CD63 KI Sig?

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by LeonV, Dec 12, 2003.

1. LeonV

LeonV

Guys,

Well, I'm new here so I'm not sure if this is the right kind of thing to ask...

I have a Marantz CD63 II KI Sig which has served me well for many years. Unfortunately it started skipping recently so I had at it with the screwdriver (taking care not to strip the copper screws :). I found that the top of the motor, which grabs a captured "grab plate" above the CD had disintegrated and wasn't holding the CD properly.

I've "fixed" that (audiophiles may not want to know how... let's just say it cost 10p) but a new transport would be a good idea. I suspect the CDP is interpolating more than it ought to...

AFAICT this KI SIg used the Phillips CDM12.3 transport. I can see a new 12.4 on Ebay but I'm wondering if this is compatible. Anyone have any knowledge or experience of swapping transports? Or is a call to Marantz in the offing?

Cheers for any help,

Leon

LeonV, Dec 12, 2003
  2. LeonV

felix part-time Horta

No it's a CDM12.1 you need, available in the UK from Grandata for £16 + P&P+ vat. This is the suspended tray, with sled, laser and ribbon cable that connects to the daughterboard on the loader mechanism

It's easy enough to fit once you have stripped the mechanism right down - but be very careful to observe anti-static precautions (and only remove the shorting clip form the ribbon cable at the last possible moment) or you could blow the photodiodes.

Have fun!

felix, Dec 13, 2003
  3. LeonV

robs

I've had a CD63 & 53 that have skipped. Cured both times by cleaning up the cogs & rails & regreasing. The original grease gets dark brown & sticky. Might be worth a try before buying a new mech? Alcohol, a tooth brush & cotton buds..
    Then more alcohol....;-))

robs, Dec 13, 2003
  4. LeonV

Andrew L Weekes

Marantz supply the VAM1201 as a service replacement, this ones mine, all mine ;)

Take a look the the RF eye pattern (if you have a 'scope) it will tell you a lot about the laser condition. A lot of skipping problems with the CDM mechs are caused by mechanical / lube problems, which a clean will fix, as Rob has pointed out.

Andy.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2003
    Andrew L Weekes, Dec 16, 2003
  5. LeonV

LeonV

Thanks for the advice guys. The mech is pretty clean for a 5 year old player in a dusty house. I'm pretty confident the skipping problem is due to that gripping "plate" (which you can see in that image in fact).

The silver metal looking part on the top of the CD hub has disintegrated on my mech and theres ferrite exposed which didn't grab the top plate firmly. I've "fixed" it at the moment by weighting the top plate with a 10p piece (which just happens to fit nicely on the top) and balanced it with blu tak. Like I say, not very audiophile, but effective in stopping the skipping.

Any hints on a price for the Marantz replacement part?

Cheers,

Leon.

LeonV, Dec 16, 2003
Ask a Question