Repair or replace Micromega DAC?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by wobler, Nov 20, 2004.

1. wobler

wobler

Dear all

Current system assembled in mid 90s:

Micromega Stage3 (as transport) & Micromega DAC
    Audiolab 8000Q and 2x 8000P
    Castle Howard S2
    Van den Hull Cables & Interconnects

I auditioned lots of players before buying the Micromega and very much liked its sound.

This week the Micromega DAC died (no output on left channel).

Have not kept up with HiFi market in recent years so any advice would be much appreciated.

Where can I get the DAC repaired (in the UK) without sending it back to France (expect cost to be prohibitive)?

If not -

What would be a comparable, contemporary replacement for the DAC?

What contemporary replacement would be a significant improvement over the Micromega DAC but would be a good fit with the Audiolabs/Castles (say up to £3k)?

I would consider either a DAC or a combined player.

Thanks and regards.

wobler, Nov 20, 2004
  2. wobler

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

Sending it back to france won't help much since micromega went tits-up long since.

There's a few people here who could take a look at it for you, but no guarantees.

For a replacement... what sort of sound are you after?

I-S, Nov 20, 2004
  3. wobler

sideshowbob Trisha

sideshowbob, Nov 20, 2004
  4. wobler

wobler

Re: replacement - Not good at describing sound - liked the Micromega really - non digital - easy to listen to for extended periods. . Would like more low-level detail, better staging, perhaps a little more dynamic.

wobler, Nov 20, 2004
  5. wobler

julian2002 Muper Soderator

have a listen to the audio synthesis range the older dax-2 and dax decade are very good and the discrete may be arround for within your price range. also the 47 labs / audio note style no oversampling / no filter dacvs seem to be in vogue at the moment so may be worth a listen. personally i think beefy dual mono psu's on the output stages give a more solid bass end but as ever these things are personal.
    cheers

julian.

julian2002, Nov 20, 2004
  6. wobler

adam

I had a system similar to yours,Audiolab with Micromega transport and DAC,Micromega have never gone tits up,just pulled out of the UK,they continued with the concept range and Minum,which now seems to have been dropped for the latest and very nice range.

Strange the the DAC is giving problems its normaly the transport,but mine is fine even though 9 years old,just needs the disc to be perfectly clean.I would send it back to the latest UK importer,and get a qoute,I was always very happy with the sound of the Micromega,very smooth,non fatiging or harsh,I think it would still be as capable soundwise today,I sold mine for a CAL audio DAC,but stil use the transport till it dies.

adam, Nov 20, 2004
  7. wobler

andrew1810

andrew1810, Nov 20, 2004
Ask a Question