Repair Teac HD-1 Radio

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Wayne88ny, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Wayne88ny

Wayne88ny

The tuner on my Teac HD-1 radio is not working. I know the amplifier section is OK because I can plug a device into the aux port and it works fine. I'm good at fixing things. I have limited knowledge of electronics, but I do know how to solder. I'm hoping the tuner chip will be easy to find once I open up the case. I have contacted Teac about the possibility of getting a schematic and/or a repair manual. I am awaiting their reply. ST Electronics makes several HD tuner chips and I was wondering if I could fix the radio by soldering in a one of those chips.

Wayne88ny, Sep 15, 2021
  2. Wayne88ny

Sergeauckland

I wish you well in your endeavour, but would be very surprised if you manage to repair it.
    Firstly, are you sure it has anything to do with the tuner chip itself? There are many peripherals that have to work correctly for the chip to work, so the fault could well be elsewhere. Secondly, pretty much all these devices use Surface Mount components, so although you may be able to solder well, surface mount reworking needs totally different tools and skills.
    One reason why such items as the HD-1 are so cheap is that they're assembled by automated means, and there's no provision made for repairs other than throwing away a board and replacing it, which may well cost more than buying a new item.
    Finally there's the question of firmware and operating software. Many of the chips used need custom programming, so even if you identify the faulty chip and source a replacement, you'll have to obtain the software and have the machine to reprogram a blank chip.
    All in all, unlikely to be successful, but if you are, I and I'm sure others on here would be pleased to read of your success.

S.

Sergeauckland, Sep 15, 2021
Ask a Question