Replace dead QED A240 SA amplifier

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by ilaymyheadonthesand, Sep 27, 2023.

1. ilaymyheadonthesand

ilaymyheadonthesand

Hello,

My ancient, venerable and beloved QED A240 SA has been declared dead by my audio repair guy. I have had the amplifier since about 1988. It’s been in more or less constant use since then.

My question is what modern amplifier would be about equivalent to the QED in terms of sound quality. I know nothing about modern HiFi gear and I am reluctant to visit a HiFi shop as I will probably be talked into some ludicrous and inappropriate purchase.

I prefer it to have a phono input although I believe the youngsters are using phono pre-amps these days.

…in anticipation

ilaymyheadonthesand, Sep 27, 2023
  2. ilaymyheadonthesand

ilaymyheadonthesand

Answering my own question but I bought a Cambridge Audio A1 Mk2. Sometimes things can happen unexpectadly quickly.

Perhaps too quickly. I spent a while wondering why i could only get a tiny little sound out of my record deck. Opening the thing up i turns out there is no phono stage. This is despite it having a phone input. In fact there is a large gap in the case with a label stating that you can add one should the fancy take you. Doh!

After picking my self off the floor I ordered this thing off eBay. Its not the same vintage as the A1. Its brand new and designed to fit the A1.

"Phono Preamp Module for Cambridge Audio A series amplifiers. e.g. Mike Creek A1"

Actually i am quite looking forwards to seeing how it sounds.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2023
    ilaymyheadonthesand, Sep 29, 2023
Ask a Question