Replacement for Audiolab 8000C???

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Matt D, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Matt D

Matt D

Hello Forum,

Current Setup:

Meridian M20 Active Speakers
    LinnSondek LP12
    Denon CD
    Denon Receiver

I am looking for a pre-amp to replace an Audiolab 8000C which has stopped working. It would have to be at least as good as the Audiolab, but ideally better!

As it's my partner's system I know nothing about separates. My budget would be around £250 for a secondhand pre-amp. Any suggestions? I was thinking about an Audiolab 8000Q or entrry level TagMaclaren.

Thanks Matt

Matt D, Dec 16, 2006
  2. Matt D

Snoo

What's up with the C?

Would be a shame to bin it. If that's your plan then I'd be interested in taking it off of your hands. :D

Snoo, Dec 16, 2006
  3. Matt D

RobHolt Moderator

You'll want something with a decent built in phono stage and such things are becoming rather thin on the ground.

If buying new, the Rega Cursa would suit and can be supplied with mm or mc phono cards.

Otherwise, one of the older Meridian designs with phono stage would do the trick, and match the speakers. Also consider the Linn Pre amps such as the Wakonda and more expensive Kairn.

All three brands have a good reputation for producing reliable, stable and fuss-free electronics.

RobHolt, Dec 16, 2006
  4. Matt D

Spenny

Matt

What is exactly wrong with the 8000C?

I would suggest sending the 8000C to Kevin Green at

http://www.theaudiocellar.co.uk/

Kevin is an expert on fixing audiolab products and has been praised for his service and keen prices on another hi-fi forum many times.

If you describe the symptoms to Kevin in a phone call he may be able to give you an idea of likely problems and costs to fix.

Although a little more expensive than entry level Tag McLarens I have owned a DPA32R and now have an AV32R which are both fabulous preamps.

Best of luck!

Regards.

Spenny

Spenny, Dec 18, 2006
  5. Matt D

maddog 2

I had a C for a while. Changed to a Densen B200 pre which was much better. So much better I immediately realised the C was overrated, thin and hard (IMO).

Still have the Densen. Much more natural.

maddog 2, Dec 20, 2006
Ask a Question