Replacement Suggestions? - Technics SA-GX770

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by baumgrenze, Feb 18, 2017.

1. baumgrenze

baumgrenze

I'm looking for a replacement for my Technics SA-GX770. I inadvertently fried the power supply when I sent an inaudibly high frequency sine wave signal to it and increased the volume hoping to hear it.

I know I want something that still offers 2 speaker channels, A & B. The amplifier needs sufficient power to drive a pair of AR-2AX speakers on one channel and a pair of AR-5 speakers in combination with an infinite baffle in-the-wall speakers on the same channel. That is, it needs to provide at least as much power as the Technics. I have an 'open-plan' post-and-beam house with 2 basic listening areas, one is 24' x 20' (with the 20' dimension partially divided with a short wall dividing living room from at 12' on the 20' dimension, the other area is 23' x 15'. The latter houses both sets of AR speakers.Another desired feature is a decent AM/FM tuner with external remote antenna inputs. I'd also like to be able to hearthe audio from my DVD player (LG BP255) through the receiver as well. I don't need fancy 'surround sound' features.

Is an equivalent still made?

thanks

baumgrenze

baumgrenze, Feb 18, 2017
  2. baumgrenze

danielwritesback

If you decrease the reliance on an amplifier to survive that usage, then I think that results would be easier to achieve.

I think this: source (perhaps also source selector) -> preamplifier -> cables to rooms -> favorably reviewed amp (economy amp amazon reconnoiter) located in same room as speaker.
    That reduces amplifier loading, which makes the amplifier's job easier, work in scenario similar to expected/tested, and last a lot longer.

OR

A plug and play replacement involving a separate tuner (as one of the options on your source selector) and a purpose made PARALLEL amplifier (those can survive powering more than one set of speakers). It looks possible with the neurochrome.com parallel amplifier. You could increase the gain a little, which will make the resolution fall ever so slightly, and that's not a real problem because it has the finest specs to start with. The gain boost would do nothing other than give it a chill-pill so it stays stable with all those long cable runs and excessive loading. You can't chill-pill (over-stabilize) a good amplifier, a bad amplifier or even a fair amplifier because the resolution would fall audibly, but you can do that to an excellent amplifier that has more than enough specs to spare. A gain boost on a low-gain high-spec amplifier would eat up some of its capacity; but, had that been done on purpose to guarantee stability with all those cable runs and multi-speaker loading, then it has been a goodly use of the excess capacity. They do exist! Well, the gain boost would do one more thing--pretty tone despite harsh use. It is possible to custom make an amplifier to perform well in and even survive the situation that you describe. Perhaps the most important thing I have to say in this paragraph is that amplifiers are NOT ready made to do that job.
    Unfortunately, and this news isn't any surprise, most amplifier designers are expecting a (1 as in ONE) pair of 8 ohm speakers with 7~11 foot cords. Other applications will probably require an extra sturdy and extra stabilized amplifier. Quite likely that one will have some DIY to it although you could get an easier trip via a considered choice of where to start.

Kind of saying that supporting the topology error is not straightaway the easiest fastest way to go. If you want it easier and more doable, scroll up, up more, to that part where I said to preamp and then pipe the Small Signal (sometimes called line level) to the rooms with their own, individual amplifiers. Sure would be convenient because you'd also have volume controls actually in the room where the listening goes on. That's when most amplifiers work well. Otherwise, you need an amplifier rigged for sturdy&stable and that is uncommon.

SO

It is either abuse one amplifier or use multiple amplifiers (per each room) normally (as expected by amplifier designers).

I have no personal problem with either way you'd want to go even though I opinion that one way might be easier to do.

danielwritesback, May 8, 2017
Ask a Question