Replacing the optical pick of a Marantz cd67

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by zanash, Sep 2, 2006.

1. zanash

zanash

Having aquired a dead cd67 [thanks mate!] ....I took a guess that it was the laser that had expired.

On the side of the laser assembly you can read the philips part number and the generic part number cdm12.1/15

I huntede round the web and found 'dalbani' who were not very forthcoming with info but were easily the cheapest at about £23 inc p&p. The Unit arrived the next day.

To get at the optical pick in this unit you undo the three screws holding the draw to the chassis, by part extending the draw and a little inginuity you can remove the mechanism from the player. You need to click off the front of the draw too.

The pickup is attached to the draw via rubberry suspension gromits and six hair like wires. The best thing is to take a digital hoto of the wire positions and the unthread them. Then desolder the from the old unit. I could not decide if I should resolder before mounting the optical pickup or after, in the end I mounted the unit first.

This is a pig ......as the gromits are soft and do not want to go back in the holes of either the pickup or the draw frame....I fitted them to the pickup first .....an hour latter I had the unit fitted to the draw [ I'll not desricbe the skinned fingers or the cursing as the last gromit pops out whilst your fixing the next !]

The wires are then resoldered with the quickest of touches from the hot iron .....and I failed to melt any of the plastic frame to!

revese the process of removing the draw mech and fix ...not easy as the gaps are small you need a widget on the end of your screw driver to hold the screw...I don't have one !

The moment of truth ...drop a disk in, press play and viola it reads the disc and starts to play !

I've no idea if the pickup affects the sound .....or if you can get better pickups ..but the unit sounds typically marantz ....

The question is do I sell it or do I us it as mod test bed........

Actually thats not a bad idea .......

zanash, Sep 2, 2006
  2. zanash

leo

Nice one Pete, personally I'd sell it on, I've modded quite a few of these and listened to plenty of others modded and none modded, they are not bad but their clock circuitry and layout is poor so unless your willing to sort that out I wouldn't bother to be honest, sure you can improve on it by doing the usual like better caps,diodes etc

leo, Sep 2, 2006
  3. zanash

zanash

I think I may use it as an example when I get our local meet set up.

zanash, Sep 3, 2006
  4. zanash

zanash

I've carried out a case damping excersise ......this has transformed the sound ....all I can say is the case work is dreadful!

I used bitumen roof flashing and added about 3m of it to the players bottom [inside] side back and inside the lid. I aslo added a bit to the draw but theres not a lot of room before it fouls the mechanism.

cymballs, an instrament that always seems to creat problem for cdp's now sound much better....... The player has taken on a real full bodied sound that was missing before.

Its shottky's next ......

zanash, Sep 4, 2006
  5. zanash

leo

Nice one Pete, the CD63/67 responds well to schottkies;)
    Its also worth beefing up the main psu cap, I'm sure Marantz fitted a smaller one there compared to say the CD63 range.
    I wouldn't use a too low ESR one though before the regulation

Look on page one of cd63 hacks, http://www.acoustica.org.uk/ that is a very nice and worthwhile mod for these units, infact theres quite a lot of nice stuff on there

leo, Sep 4, 2006
  6. zanash

zanash

Ok today I mostly been .............fitting an Iec socket to trhe cd67 very simple as a hole almost the right size is provided.

I then covered all the chips with copper foil and grounded to the ground plain close to the chips. More bitumen sheet covers the chips and a wad around the crystal ........

Not a huge change this time, may be just an edge taken off the sound ..with a bigger sound stage and a tad more depth.

Adding the IEC has allowed swapping power cables which shows up there differences very well.

zanash, Sep 5, 2006
Ask a Question