Resurrecting a dead CD63 KI

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by clogman, Mar 18, 2006.

1. clogman

lauriemills

Hi,

It just shows "Disc" on switch on, and the tray opens (it shouldn't do of its own accord). The error code shows 2 (focus error). I am going to put the old one back in and see what happens then, and if it still works as it did (ie, the tray does not open of its own accord) I will return the mech to Grandata. I will get a refund under distance selling regulations, or get a replacement.

lauriemills, Dec 9, 2010
  2. clogman

felix part-time Horta

Sadly I have to agree with Sonusthree.

But the CD43/53/63 in all its guises is a pretty sloppy bit of kit. In particular - before you write-off the new laser - do please re-check that all the ribbon connectors are re-seated properly/firmly; the one from transport daughterboard to main board was particularly troublesome IME.

Flick -up the brown collar on each connector, press-down the cable and re-engage both ends firmly... I hope it helps.

Failing that, check the internal fuses near the transformer: but since this architecture uses one +5v rail for everything important (a major failing for sound quality!) - if the rest appears to power up ok including the self check, I would not expect an easy fix here...

felix, Dec 10, 2010
Ask a Question