[Review] A/Z Hollogram II V's Audience Au24

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by wadia-miester, Sep 22, 2003.

1. wadia-miester

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

A/Z Hollogram II V's Audience Au24

Haven't written a review for a while for reasons relating to finding something good enough to interest me
    Ok, here we go, About 3 months ago I changed my speaker cable (main system) from Towshend Isolda DCT to Acoustic Zen Hollogram II (Bi Wire 2-4 configuration) differenices imediately obvious, more detail, slam went up a 3 notches or so, bigger and deeper stage, in essence plain more of the same, and one serious big bouns, the speed of this cable is well, just up there with the very very best, dynamicaly too I haven't heard anything to beat it yet, valhalla in my system is an equal score on the S & D depts.
    However over the past months, I've been honing the system, through various mains power mods and cable upgrades, the system has become faster/cleaner more dynamic and natural, however it was getting some what 'Stark' at the upper frequenices, Not hard, but stark, the only drawback with this cable I've found.
    GrahamN, also had this 'feature', he preferred a different cable as opposed to the H II in the tweeters, and I' feel he'll be telling me, I told you so
    Ok, I recieved my Audience AU24 today, completely different construction to the A/Z, with is a big Purple headed monster :D quite thick too, about 30-35mm, more than mildly heavy also, with a 2-4 bannana plug split, the Au 24 is just single run with spades, but man is it small 3mm diameter max I reckon :eek: , looks well seriously pissy, and about as capable of dealing 360 watts as Timpy is of keeping speakers for more than 2 weeks :D
    The jumpers are matching, with z/plugs & spades, ok the 'Book says' not much running time required, so a quick trip to burn in land via the audioharma cooker, and we up and running.
    First off I tried just the jumpers, with the A/z 'doing' the bass :) hummm, ok I'll buy it, jumpers are definately worth the effort, the stage is more open, the starkiness has disappeared, the vocals are way more nautral, however the music is some what disjoined and plain not as I'm used to it, (IE not right to me)
    Ok, time for the main event, laying the Au 24 over the A/z is like comparing the exhuast pipe from a Fiat panda (pee shooter) to that of a full metal helmet Scooby elephant shagging back box (you think us hifi guys spend a lot :D ) the A/z totaly dwarfs the Au 24.
    Ok, first impressions, usual test music tracks, Eric J, Manhatton, Crowded house 'Four seasons', Jimmy Whitherspoon, 'Operator', Alanna Miles 'Black Velvet', Propellar heads OHSS theme and Deep purple 'Sometimes I feel like screaming Live' Bonnie Rait ' Something to talk about'
    My main worry was, I could be going on a dynamic downward shift, and speed dropping off, like the acceleration a rover 820 gives (Ie backwards)
    Wow, serious surprise here, it's very very close to the HII, 95-95%, the dyanmics are there all the way, the starkiness has disappeared , to be replaced with an open natural detailed and netural sound, stage has more with to it, depth has incresed too, now he drum thwacks, still have the ultimate snap, but now with added decay and 'real skin feel', lower region bass definition is further enhanced (how??? I don't know), total bass body is less, but again it's close to call, certain passages in 'Black velvet', have such a deep, rich textural feel, with out loss of bite and attack, the overall sound is slightly more forward, No starkness, but detail a plenty, and it has a far more natural quality, that I just haven't heard in this system before, it is belgiling, without going soft , and they have a little way more to run in. I am quite taken a back by this cable, It has a very good reputation in the states, but for more a 'hifi' thang. however it can rock and roll too
    All this from a 3 short hours of ear wigging, well yes, the A/z still has the edge in the total speed and ultimate dynamics, and a touch more bass weight too. So there so far a tale of 2 great cables. How do you like yours :) WM

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2003
    wadia-miester, Sep 22, 2003
  2. wadia-miester

GrahamN

Re: A/Z Hollogram II V's Audience Au24

:newbie: :club:

:D

GrahamN, Sep 22, 2003
  3. wadia-miester

Crickey you were late :D bit disappointed there, I lost me bet :(
    Really not hard, just stark, but only after ditching the silver ref's for some different stuff, did it become apparent, no more problemo, and I saved a few bob :) but lost that £10 I won off Ian, oh well easy, come easy go :)

wadia-miester, Sep 22, 2003
  4. wadia-miester

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2003
    wadia-miester, Sep 23, 2003
  5. wadia-miester

More time with the 'Audience' this afternoon with Lilolee & the cookie monster crew, this is a wonderfully neutral & great flowing musical cominicator, that does so much, from such a small cable, but I'm afraid, I'm still living on a dynamicaly NTh degree of thwack planet, and the Au 24, is far too 'Natural' a cable for me, it doesn't quite have the speed, the depth and scale of dynamic attacks and swings, the H II has, however it presents a better upper frequency picture, than the HII's, so a compromise, The AU 24 jumpers on the Tweeter and the H II doing the bass duties, Now I have finialy sussed the replacement.
    The Au24 is a top cable without question, both are in the own ways serious big money cable upsetters, for sure, the AU24 will appeal to more people than the A/Z Hollogram II I feel, but then I aint most people.
    Check them both out, the promise much and deliver even more, in spades (or Z-plugs :D ). It's a shame, but life goes on, but now very nearly there :) WM

wadia-miester, Sep 24, 2003
  6. wadia-miester

cookiemonster

The HII's should have a 'no handbags allowed' safety sticker on their substantial carcass. Although the piss puny AU24 ain't the ***** it looks - quite remarkable. The latter is certainly less aggressive and a bit 'nicer'. I think the compromise of mixing them both in this way is a good one - a bit like taking your meat medium rare, bloody, but not intoxicating. Thought it worked well. Its hard not to like the A/Z, but i think long term, they would certainly have me on migraine pills.

P.S. jumpers are working nice :cool: :) and i've asked the missus for some of them cheese cracker jobbies :D

cookiemonster, Sep 25, 2003
Ask a Question