[Review] Behringer 2496 vs Bel Canto DAC2

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Mr_Sukebe, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Behringer 2496 vs Bel Canto DAC2

I recently bought a 2496 to have a play with the functionality following some rather positive comments on here and the PF forums.

Last week I thought I'd conduct a straight side by side comparison between the BC DAC2 and the 2496 used purely as a DAC, and without any of it's functionality enabled.

Each was sat between my Meridian 500 transport and Bel Canto Evo2i amp.
    The DAC2 was using a Zanash digital interconnect via SPDIF, with a Coherent RCA terminated cable to the amp.
    The 2496 was using Zanash XLR terminated cables for both the AEWS/EBU digital input and also the balanced output (the amp and 2496 supporting balanced connection - my thanks again to Zanash for knocking up some cables).

And the results (IMO):
    At a macro level and at first glance, there wasn't much between them, though the DAC2 did have a slightly wider soundstage and also treads the same path as the Evo amp by doing a wonderful job of placing instruments into a mix with little blurring over other instruments. For those differences, not really worth the money difference. However, the DAC2 then added something that probably does justify the cost difference, which was that once you'd stopped listening for "hi-fi" differences, that it simply did a better job of helping me picture a live band infront of me. Don't ask me to describe that better, as I'm not sure I can, it was simply more "there".

Please bear in mind that the DAC2 is around £1300 new, and the 2496 £225, meaning that the 2496 really is shooting at a target well out of it's price bracket. More importantly, that's without using any of the technology and functionality that the 2496 is really designed for, and with zero mods. I think I'll be investigating this some more. Hopefully Tenson can give me some advice.

Mr_Sukebe, Jun 19, 2006
  2. Mr_Sukebe

Tenson Moderator

Have another listen with the 'Noise Shaping' disabled (under the second page of the I/O menu). Also put in a 2ms delay on the last page of the I/O menu, this enables buffering like the DAC64 and Benchmark. MAke sure the delay is set to the Main outputs not Aux. I'd be interested to see what you think.

The difference you describe sounds a lot like the difference between digital filters more than anything.

Give Rob a few $quid for 4 of those large, green paper in oil caps he has (he knows the ones). Then I can show you how to upgrade the DAC. They are all you need for a pretty decent upgrade.

Tenson, Jun 20, 2006
  3. Mr_Sukebe

zanash

I'm going to have to get one of these things to play with ....

Glad the cables worked ....

Sounds like interesting advice from Tenson too.

zanash, Jun 20, 2006
  4. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Thanks for the comments Simon. I'll have a chat with Rob in the near future.

Mr_Sukebe, Jun 20, 2006
  5. Mr_Sukebe

anon_bb Honey Badger

I have just bought a dac2 and will be comparing with my deq as well as Tensons modded unit in the very near future.

anon_bb, Jun 20, 2006
  6. Mr_Sukebe

anon_bb Honey Badger

Hmm the dac2 is a long way ahead in my system...

anon_bb, Jun 21, 2006
  7. Mr_Sukebe

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Having both, I have no doubt about that whatso ever BBV (My god I'm agreeing with him) :eek:

wadia-miester, Jun 21, 2006
  8. Mr_Sukebe

anon_bb Honey Badger

Something strange and beautiful has happened here today.

anon_bb, Jun 21, 2006
  9. Mr_Sukebe

Something very mechanical about the 24/96, a quick look inside is all thats needed.
    To be fair, there is only so far you can polish a turd imo
    If you system isn't capable of really telling the difference, then don't blame the dac or cdp.

10. Mr_Sukebe

anon_bb Honey Badger

Awful opamps and psu no doubt. Straight from the dac things are much better ... but still a bit rough around the edges. I look forward to hearing Tensons "fully loaded" deq in the near future.

anon_bb, Jun 21, 2006
  11. Mr_Sukebe

RobHolt Moderator

I heard a DAC2 in my system a few weeks ago and I struggled to hear any overall benefit over my integrated (but bodged) Sony player. Slightly different presentstion but that's all.

The DEQ is far from being a 'turd' Tony. Even in standard form it's effects when inserted into the tape loop are fairly benign and screw around with the music far less some some 'audiophile' stuff I've suffered over the years. I've yet to try it on DAC duty but will soon.

RobHolt, Jun 21, 2006
  12. Mr_Sukebe

anon_bb Honey Badger

Yes the turd bit is a little bit too far. However in my system the difference was very pronounced.

anon_bb, Jun 21, 2006
  13. Mr_Sukebe

Sorry here guys, it just gets a bit like empours new clothes thing again.
    The nos dac/tvc pre are good pieces of equipment, they just fall short of target imo
    Now back to the DEQ, I'm purely talking dac section here of the 2496
    I have personally give quite a few of these a serious shot in the arm, still find them lacking (better yes for sure, but fundimentally not right in music stakes).imo
    Rob, I'm not talking about comparing it with silly $££$ equipment at all, and I do agree that a lot of so called 'audiophile products' so completely "spannerise" the music in no short order. You just have to look and listen about for products that have some quality traits that can be made to sound good, then capitiase on those. imo.
    If the unit gives you want you look for music, then your mission has been achieved.
    We all have different perseptions of the finished sound, for myself its just too mechanical and contrived, lacking fulidity and natural presence.
    In the same way you chaps all back up the tvc unit, my choice is to pass over it. Nothing more.
    This is not a dig, merely a point of view. Tony

14. Mr_Sukebe

anon_bb Honey Badger

I look forward to your presenting me with a better alternative - I am still open concerning my pre and phono. What did you object to about the tvc?

anon_bb, Jun 21, 2006
  15. Mr_Sukebe

Nick,

To me its just not right simple as that, it is far better than the usual passives agreed.
    As I said earier, we all look for different things I don't find the things in either of the nos dac or tvc, or for that matter the Kondo (yes really) sure that will cause great rucksions in the hallowed halls of the upper eshelons of the hifi mafia.
    But then be same if we all liked the same things.....................

16. Mr_Sukebe

anon_bb Honey Badger

Actually I thought all that kondo gear was overrated too. I expect more than "nice" for £200k.

Can you be a bit more specific about what you thought was wrong and I will listen out for it?

anon_bb, Jun 21, 2006
  17. Mr_Sukebe

Very easy really, a sense of correctness, cohesion, tonal quality & fulidity to the music, if these are 'right' all the other traits are there in spades.
    Music is not just about sleepy jazz, barque, coral and female voclists. Its about all forms and genre's from Monk/Mingus to death metal thrash, from Aha to stone roses and everything inbetween.
    To design kit that sounds superb on one of 2 styles of music is crime and an afront to everyday music lovers. It should be accessable to the masses imo
    Strong words for sure, and I'm sure I'll get 'Kondo'd ' in a lift at a hifi show for being disrespectful possibly.
    But to me music is about not being nice or polished or MBL'd. Its about being truthful to the performer and their perseption on music, who ever that is Hyden/Lyndon/Cave/Holland or Blackmore.
    I'll get off my soap box now...........

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2006
  18. Mr_Sukebe

anon_bb Honey Badger

I absolutely agree and my taste encompasses exactly all of those genres. Which is why my opinions often are at odds with those that have more restricted interests.

The tvc seems to play all types of genres even handedly but I am of course open to being shown to be wrong.

I dont think the kondo system I heard could have played half of my record collection so from that point of view their approach is a resounding failure to me.

I am right behind you pushing you back on the box WM!

anon_bb, Jun 21, 2006
  19. Mr_Sukebe

Mikeb

Behringer 2496

After reading your posting I thought I would have a go at using the dac in the Behringer rather than my usual Benchmark dac. I carried out the adjustments as suggested ie using the main outputs and a 2ms delay, the results were excellent.
    Thanks for the suggestion

Mikeb, Jun 21, 2006
  20. Mr_Sukebe

anon_bb Honey Badger

The bel canto still cant hold a candle to my sadly defunct PT De capo though :(

anon_bb, Jun 21, 2006
Ask a Question