[Review] Densen DeMagic demagnetising CD

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by tones, Nov 29, 2003.

1. tones

tones compulsive cantater

Densen DeMagic demagnetising CD

Although I don't believe a word of it, I bought one of these and tried it in the spirit of scientific inquiry. The label reads as follows:

"The DeMagic cleans the entire signal path of magnetism which has been built up during playback, due to DC leakage and other influences on all the parts used in the audio components. This magnetism results in magnetic introduced distortion (MID), where the magnetic fields distort the audio signal. By removing the MID with the DeMagic you get a much clearer, more dynamic, detailed and transparent sound".

With the greatest of respect to Densen, who appear to make quite good equipment, the abovementioned quote constitutes (IMMHO, of course) a quantity of spherical equine waste product that stops just short of the orbit of Neptune.

You shove the thing in for three minutes at normal volume. At the start, you get this warbling, throbbing sound sounding like a refugee from "Dr. Who", and which quietens down over the three minutes, eventually petering out. I played my favourite test record (Pinnock's Handel's Water Music, also my oldest CD (1985)). After the DeMagic, it sounded absolutely marvellous. Problem was, it sounded identically marvellous before the DeMagic. Hi, ho, another myth bites the dust.

So, anyone want to try a DeMagic? Yours for EUR20, including p&p. I have enough problems with space for CDs without accomodating this bit of good-for-nothingness. Inside you get a nice little book showing off all their hi-fi boxes, although, after this bit of applied humbug, I wonder whether they can really be trusted.

P.S. Oops! Got my sums wrong, let's say EUR15 ono. Personally, I think it has a value of precisely zero, but I realise that there are believers out there.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2003
    tones, Nov 29, 2003
  2. tones

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

My word, tones doesn't believe in it! There's a surprise!:eek: :p :rolleyes:

I-S, Nov 29, 2003
  3. tones

I hate to disappoint my many fans.

tones, Nov 29, 2003
  4. tones

I-S Good Evening.... Infidel

You keep it up mate! How boring would life be without the guaranteed sceptic point of view?

I-S, Nov 29, 2003
  5. tones

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Tones, you are my inspiration, in that knowing one day you will 'sucombe to admitting something actually works :D and when that day happens, I will be there to capature it for all prosperity. Tone

wadia-miester, Nov 29, 2003
  6. tones

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Good on you for trying it!

I dont know if you get ''audiophile candy'' magazine where you are (they are on the net at www.hififorsale.com or www.audiophilecandy.com I forget which).

Anyway, the mag is full of widgets gadgets and assorted fidgets like the Densen disc.

I read it on the bog, - my favorite game is trying to find something that I'd actually want!

NB Call me a pessimist, but I dont think the sales enquiries are going to come flooding in after your review!! :D

Chris

bottleneck, Nov 29, 2003
  7. tones

Just don't hold your breath, fella...

tones, Nov 29, 2003
  8. tones

Steven Toy

15 Euros is a bit of a rip-off. I only paid a tenner for mine.

Tones,

You are the guy who can't hear unsubtle Mana differences. ;)

Steven Toy, Dec 2, 2003
  9. tones

Yep, that's me, but then, I'd argue that it's difficult to hear unsubtle differences that aren't actually there. Your Mana differences might well have been unsubtle, mine were subtle to the point of total inaudibility

According to my currency converter, 15EUR is £10.4993, and I pay the postage and packing too. Moreover, I did say ONO - I'm open to offers.

P.S. Does

"15 Euros is a bit of a rip-off"

imply that the thing isn't worth very much? On that, we are completely agreed!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2003
    tones, Dec 3, 2003
  10. tones

Steven Toy

It's a rip off because you can pick up a new one for 14.2 Euros.

Steven Toy, Dec 3, 2003
  11. tones

But you paid a tenner, Steve, so you were ripped off! There was no intention to rip anyone off (it cost me 20-something Euro), so if anyone wants to make me a lower offer, I'm completely amenable. But then, perhaps I scared folk off by telling them the truth about it. Hi, ho, them's the breaks.

You don't want a matched pair by any chance, do you?

tones, Dec 3, 2003
  12. tones

Steven Toy

I could then do A/B comparisons between the two :D

Steven Toy, Dec 3, 2003
  13. tones

Brilliant! Why don't you sell the idea to Densen? They'd make twice the money. There surely must be a cut in there for you...

tones, Dec 3, 2003
  14. tones

eisenach

Tones, I completely disagree with you - as long-time champion of cd-str5, you would surely expect no less.
    In all seriousness, the Densen DeMagic disc has many uses. My favourite use is to scare the cat - or the wife - depending on which has the most potential entertainment value at the time.
    Maybe I could do with a second disc for the downstairs system. I'll think it over!

eisenach, Dec 5, 2003
  15. tones

stebbo

I believe this product wa originally sold as a way of de-magnetising the CD itself.
    But too many people realised that there was nothing remotely magnetic about plastic and aluminium.
    Now it de mags the whole system... woo hoo.
    Even those parts that arent ferro-magnetic. like the plastic and paper and Mylar. Wow what a product.

I wonder if they will be putting this up for the Noble prize for Physics? All the research I have done over the years has never shown that these materials can become magnetised.

This is without doubt the biggest load of tosh I have heard this side of the Green Pen scam.

BTW Hello everyone, I have just registered. It is my misson to debunk snake oil in all its forms. Audio and none audio.

Yeehaa Bring it on.
    :p :p

stebbo, Dec 5, 2003
  16. tones

tones, Dec 6, 2003
  17. tones

Robbo

Stebbo,

Have you used the demag disc? My view is that until one has actually tried products in their own system, they are not really qualified to comment one way or another. I have not used the demag disc, but quite a few of the flat earthers on pinkfish use it and say it works. These guys are usually quite cynical about such products so I reckon there may well be something in it.

The green pen works in my system and every system I have heard it tried in btw.

I guess you think mains conditioning, equipment supports and cables are a load of bollox too!

What system do you run?

Robbo, Dec 6, 2003
  18. tones

Well then, Robbo, this is your big chance! Low mileage (to be precise, used once), one owner, never raced or rallied! Great Chrissie present to yourself! Otherwise the worthless #**@!?!!4%6!!?! thing is going to sit here forever. One thing's guaranteed - I'll never use it again. How about 10 Euro?????

P.S. Note how everyone is falling over themselves to buy it from me - if that's a measure of its efficacy, 'nuff said.

tones, Dec 6, 2003
  19. tones

Robbo

Thanks for the offer Tones, but a demag disc is not really on my list of things to buy at the moment. I have other things I am interested in:)

Robbo, Dec 6, 2003
  20. tones

TonyL Club Krautrock Plinque

I hate to be the one who sticks his head out first for ridicule, but I do actually find the thing to work quite well! I find it has the most effect the older the gear is that it is played through, it certainly considerably livened up an old A&R A60 (about 25 years old) I have knocking around as a spare amp. It also had a very beneficial effect on either the Nait 2 or Kans (both about 10 years old) I used until recently, its hard to tell which or whether it was both as I did the system as a whole. This all kind of makes sense as the older the gear the more 'magnetically buggered' or whatever they are claiming it is likely to be.

When it works the effect is one of improving clarity and control; a similar effect sonically to seriously cleaning all the plugs on a system (something everyone should be encouraged do quite regularly).

I'd quite like to work out how the Densen CD actually works – I have a half decent synth (i.e. wave generators / filters etc) and can record digitally so could possibly emulate it and then make it available for free download at pfm!

Tony.

TonyL, Dec 6, 2003
Ask a Question