[Review] Getting animated

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by zanash, May 11, 2007.

1. zanash

dehavillandrfc Enrico and The Fermions

D) comes after C) :D

This is, regrettably, the blind reading to the deaf. It seems no matter how many times we try to explain, you just don't get that you don't need to know how something works to tell that it does.

dehavillandrfc, Jun 20, 2007
  2. zanash

I wonder what the world record is for the number of posts on any one forum thread. We could make the Guinness Book of Records!

:MILD:

3. zanash

aquapiranha

Lol, my glaring alphabetical mistake aside, are you telling me that you do not even care what is in this mystical box of magic power? ffs, people really are that bloody thick?

aquapiranha, Jun 20, 2007
  4. zanash

Joe

The longest (non hifi) forum thread I was involved in got to 5,500 posts! PFM's 'What is your current system?' thread has well gone over the 1,000 mark.

Joe, Jun 20, 2007
  5. zanash

ShinOBIWAN

It appears your just as quick to judge and lecture on others opinions and words as anyone else in this thread. Quite hypocritical considering your waffle about judging products on value and how this indirectly undermines the decision an individual made when they bought the item in question.

It seems you think unless people agree with you then they don't have a "grip on the plot". Fortunately the world doesn't revolve around you and people have differing opinions.

Not only are we dealing with a product that has no explained mode of operation but is also very expensive. This requires a lot of faith on my part. I build and design my own stuff and I can almost quantify every area of performance up until the realisation and I find that that realisation closely relates to the quantifying that goes before it. Without the science I find it hard to muster up the faith. So, sorry but a few subjective opinions from Pete and whoever doesn't change a thing for those who haven't heard it and the fact remains that £750 is a fair amount of money. I can think of 100's of audio related items that someone could go with and, at the same time, feel confident that they will provide a definite performance boost because they're proven. All I see here is opinions, on both sides, being increasingly polarised by the attitudes of the opposing camp. I can gleam nothing from that.

Don't agree with that? Maybe you should just move on and respect the fact that people have differing opinions.

ShinOBIWAN, Jun 20, 2007
  6. zanash

Thanks. How about the longest hifi non-sticky thread?

OK, I'll get my coat...

7. zanash

aquapiranha

It comes as no great surprise to me that the two main protagonists of this device are also heavily into the cable market.

8. zanash

Joe

Almost certainly one involving discussion of ATC speakers.

Joe, Jun 20, 2007
  9. zanash

Would I like to know how it works, am I curious? Of course, it's quite frustrating to have really no idea what physical phenonema we are observing. But as has been noted before I'm sure with the right know-how and gear measurements could be taken to show the effect and from that we might be able to reverse engineer what it does. But that in my mind that is a different issue from does the box do anything at all, if it does do I like it, and if I like it do I like it enough (and have enough spare cash) to cough up £750 for it?

In my case the answer is no as my speakers only cost £350 a better spend would obviously be on some better speakers. Personally I would only contemplate buying the animator if a) I was pretty happy with my system b) any significant upgrade would cost very serious dosh and c) I had the money. So I won't be buying one.

But can I hear it make a difference? Indutiably so...

10. zanash

Effem Cable manufacturer

Then don't. Nobody is forcing you to accept it works, even less to purchase it. The irony is, if you did actually know how it worked then you still wouldn't buy it.

You know what, it might actually be TRUE?

I'm Donald Ducked if I know.

When? Never done or said any of that. You been on the "home brew" again? ;)

To be absolutely honest I couldn't give a rat's petootie what the unit is claimed to do. If you really do want to know all of those things, then do the intelligent thing and ask it's maker the who/what/why/when/where/how of all it's functions - he sells it not me.

What I saw before me the day before yesterday was a silver metal puck shaped object with a blue LED in the top, sat on my carpet between the speakers and a cord leading to a wall wart power supply plugged into my mains supply. When it was active it made my music sound 'orrible, it gave me a stiff neck and a pain in the sinuses above my eyes. That's it, there is no more.
    If it achieved that effect by being filled with blackcurrant jelly, then so be it.

It didn't clean my windows, it didn't strip the wallpaper, it didn't sterilise the neighbour's cat, or keep the pigeons off my guttering, nor did it repair the fence panel busted in last winter's gales. I noted AN EFFECT, no more, no less.

Now you tell me if any of that was promoting the abundance of wondrous sonic benefits this mysterious device unleashed, have I urged anyone to rush out and part with their hard earned money? Nope, I kept an open mind and reported only what I observed first hand with no assumptions, no speculation, no second guesses. I do have my own theory though which needs more research.

To me this thread isn't about this device any more and hasn't been for quite a while, it is a about attitudes. So far in this entire thread there has been one posting and one posting only that mirrors my own personal opinions from using the evidence available of how this device actually works. I am constantly amazed that this one pragmatic stab at what this thing purports to do has been ignored by all the naysayers, made by a naysayer. Why? Because it's the argument itself and the points scoring that is so attractive, not the relevant facts.

Effem, Jun 20, 2007
  11. zanash

aquapiranha

Ok, I can accept your explanation of why you might consider buying one, and I apologise if I came over a little as a little obtuse - but what I and others would without question want to know before considering purchase would be how it works.

12. zanash

larkrise Sheepdogs prefer red wine

Bugger the money - do you hear an improvement or not?

If not - forget it - if yes then result.

If everyone agreed on what sounds best in hi-fi there would be no forum - discussion forum is about helping out not arguing about kit, surely, I've had some real help here and sometimes zilch? We are close to one of the great philosophical definitions of religion: "what man does with his solitaries" - A N Whitehead if if I recall my Professor's notes correctly (S G F Brandon).

Now was that easy? But hey let's go for the longest thread record!

larkrise, Jun 20, 2007
  13. zanash

Joe

Hell, I don't know how my TV, computer or camera work. Didn't stop me buying them though.

Joe, Jun 20, 2007
  14. zanash

ShinOBIWAN

Of course you don't need to know how something works to appreciate it. But a big step in any judgement of a product is knowing something about the technology its based on rather than just accepting a few subjective opinions from complete strangers on a rather curious box who's manufacturer makes, let say, colourful claims. It all just adds to the confusion and suspicion. Its human nature to question and with understanding comes acceptance. You need to look deeper than just the words written to start to understand why someone wrote what they did.

Having said that, maybe the subjective effects, once you've heard this box, are strong enough for you to dismiss your preconceived notions and usual train-of-though so as you stop questioning and just accept it for what it is despite no real idea of what is going on.

But from what I've read so far, the subjective opinions have mostly been luke warm and certainly leaning towards poor value for money, which is part of my argument.

ShinOBIWAN, Jun 20, 2007
  15. zanash

aquapiranha

Sorry, you said "undiscovered", undiscovered? So this is an unknown branch of science then? that explains why no-one knows how it works...silly me...

16. zanash

Don't cloud the issue with facts...

:MILD:

17. zanash

ShinOBIWAN

Those item are part of society and accepted lifestyle products. Even if you've never used or owned one before there's hardly much faith needed to invest in such things because you know, by definition of common acceptance, that they work.

We're not dealing with that here or at least I don't believe we are and until I've heard it then I'm sticking to my guns.

ShinOBIWAN, Jun 20, 2007
  18. zanash

Effem Cable manufacturer

I don't fundamentally disagree with any of the sceptics that have expressed an opinon.

I dislike the claims being made by the manufacturer.

I too have grave doubts over what makes it work.

I too believe it is overpriced for what it is.

If it does have a beneficial effect for some, it didn't work at all for me - even more reason for me not to buy it. Others have got benefits from it, good luck to them if the cost/benefit ratio pans out for them

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2007
    Effem, Jun 20, 2007
  19. zanash

Only 322 to go boys...

20. zanash

aquapiranha

ok, that is enough for me, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Apologies to all for getting a little heated, as I always do when a smell a rat. Lastly from me I will say that over the many years I have had an interest in this hobby, various wonder products come and go, and this will always be the case - wehre there is money to be made there will always be chancers.

Ask a Question