[Review] I borrowed a Nordost Shiva..

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by midlifecrisis, Apr 11, 2004.

1. midlifecrisis

midlifecrisis Firm member

I borrowed a Nordost Shiva..

..off a friendly dealer and I've spent a good few hours today and yesterday listening to it. Given all the recent kerfuffle here and much purple prose in HiFi+, I thought I'd see what the fuss was about. Some of the time I simply listened, then I spent an hour or so on a completely unscientific (so don't start on the methodology..) comparison against a Kimber high current powercord. Took a number of tracks with which I'm very very familiar and simply listened to each with each cable - about a 20 second lag to swap and play. Kit is Krell SACD Standard, Michell Orca and Alecto amps, B&W Nautilus 802s, with VdH Furst and Trichord Pulsewire interconnects and VdH Revelation speaker cable. An RA powerblock with Kimber lead from the mains was already in place - used the Shiva from the powerblock into the Krell.

Individual test tracks used were:

Master Musicians of Joujouka - Taksim – a Moroccan oud solo
    Smoke City - Giulietta
    Suzanne Vega (Cerwin's sister?) - the Queen and the Soldier
    Royksopp – the one off the advert..
    Nirvana – teen spirit

Given the recent animated threads on cables, I thought I'd write one review for each camp. One of them is true (to me) - you decide which!!

A The lavishness of the HF+ initial review had intrigued me but the constant advertorial style plugging in subsequent issues had made me very sceptical. Although having Kimber cables (some kosher, some home brewed) I've never honestly found night and day differences from them. I stuck the Shiva in and played without any critical listening – and was brought up short by the fact that there was an obvious difference. I was listening to a tabla track off Master Musicians – and there was considerably more bounce and impact to the sound. I went through a whole bunch of familiar CDs and heard a positive improvement on most. Spent a day listening to stuff before wondering whether I was kidding myself into hearing what I wanted to hear; which is when I started the swapping. On Taksim, the Shiva sounds more vibrant – literally; there is a resonance and bite rings that was not there with the Kimber. Smoke City's Giulietta brought a more relaxed and natural quality to Nina Miranda's trouser-disturbingly breathy Brazilianisms, plus more clarity to the background detail (parrots, actually) – the Kimber had a touch of resonant bloom to the voice that could grate at times. On Suzanne Vega there wasn't much in it on the voice, but the Shiva gave better distinction of the instrument melody lines. Nirvana – Kimber had a bit more body but the Shiva had more slam – couldn't decide which I preferred. Royksopp – more tangible deepest bass line on the Shiva; forget about listening, I had my hand on the sofa and could actually feel stronger vibrations. It's not a miracle – some rough CDs still sound rough – but there are definite improvements here.
    Will I keep it? You bet. I've tweaked with the best of them but mostly been disappointed in the scale of difference – but to my ears, this is the scale of change that you get from a component change rather than a bit of snake oil.

B My system sounded excellent with the Kimber cable in – and continued to do so with the Shiva. When I first put it in I thought I could hear more bass and better thwack/slam/impact, but grew to think that this was wishful thinking and I was just listening myself into agreement with the HF+ reviewer. When I started swapping around and trying hard to hear and note down differences, I came unstuck – there really wasn't a difference to be heard. What I thought was a difference – for example a detail I'd never heard before on a particular track – turned out to be present when I swapped over too. I think when we put new components or tweaks in, we listen harder and more analytically than usual, so are more likely to find differences or come across unnoticed details – but once noticed they can be reproduced in the 'old state'. In summary – can I hear a difference? Not really. Would I shell out £220 for it? Not a hope – I'd rather plough it into CdWow. Thank you dealer, but you can take it back.

midlifecrisis, Apr 11, 2004
  2. midlifecrisis

Mart Smog Dodger

Re: I borrowed a Nordost Shiva..

I completely agree and have come across this a few times.

I once borrowed a micromega dac from a friend and listened for a while, I thought there was a small change but not enuff to warrent buying it, and took it back.

When I got home I wired the cd back to amp and sat down with a book, 5 mins later Im sat wondering why the system sounded flat and lifeless.

My mate thought I was nuts as I was back on his doorstep sayin givusitbackwillya.

Mart, Apr 11, 2004
  3. midlifecrisis

..just to conclude on this, my real option was A and I've just handed the dosh over...:D

btw I was going to try double blind testing, but digging the first eye out hurt like hell so I stopped there...

midlifecrisis, Apr 15, 2004
  4. midlifecrisis

Ultrasonic Bo selecta!!

I think in the context of your system, 220pounds on a powercord is quite reasonable:p and im sure the Shiva is marketed at people with pretty high end system coz u can get fairly decent amps and cdp's at around 220pounds nowadays! I wonder if it would make such a massive difference to mid-range gear?

Ultra

Ultrasonic, Apr 19, 2004
  5. midlifecrisis

I must admit I didn't pay much more than that for the Marantz 7200 amp I have in another room - I'll try the lead on that tonight and see if I hear a difference (can't try it on the cdp which has a poxy figure of 8 socket..

midlifecrisis, Apr 19, 2004
  6. midlifecrisis

tones compulsive cantater

Re: I borrowed a Nordost Shiva..

And what did it say to you?:D

tones, Apr 24, 2004
  7. midlifecrisis

Re: Re: I borrowed a Nordost Shiva..

it said 'buy me but don't tell the wife'

midlifecrisis, Apr 26, 2004
  8. midlifecrisis

tones compulsive cantater

Re: Re: Re: I borrowed a Nordost Shiva..

Clearly a highly astute cable - I guess it didn't want to be relegated to being your means of suspension 'twixt heaven and earth.

tones, Apr 26, 2004
  9. midlifecrisis

Alex S User

Maybe all you've proved is that the Kimber's crap?

Alex S, May 2, 2004
  10. midlifecrisis

danudanu

wait till you hear the valhalla power cable:)

danudanu, May 28, 2004
  11. midlifecrisis

michaelab desafinado

Are you Roy Gregory in disguise? :D

Michael.

michaelab, May 28, 2004
  12. midlifecrisis

Sgt Rock

Do they have a volume control :D

Sgt Rock, May 28, 2004
  13. midlifecrisis

danudanu

who be "Roy Gregory "?:confused:

however " Do they have a volume control " : no but they do have a clear control over the sound that you get and probably,you'd turn the volume up as there'd be less distortion

but we all have our own way of spending money

;)

danudanu, May 28, 2004
  14. midlifecrisis

michaelab desafinado

The editor of that esteemed journal of high fidelity called HiFi+ ;)

He never lets an issue go out without at least one shameless plug for Nordost products and it's to be assumed that Nordost pay a good chunk of his wages (indirectly via advertising revenue).

He absolutely creamed himself in his review of the Nordost power cables.

Michael.

michaelab, May 30, 2004
  15. midlifecrisis

greg Its a G thing

I heard the full Valhalla setup courtesy of Nordost. It was interesting but I remained unconvinced by their concept to be honest.

I heard a Shunyata Hydra 8 on a relatively basic system and that was more impressive to my ears (for different reasons though). All overpriced if WM's gear is as good as I'm told.;)

greg, Jun 1, 2004
  16. midlifecrisis

blakeaudio

i'm told that the nordost cables actually work particularly well with the shunyata power filters.

blakeaudio, Jun 26, 2004
  17. midlifecrisis

Crustyloafer

Would it not be rather difficult to try the Shiva on your PM7200 given given that it has a captive power lead buit in to it.

Crustyloafer, Oct 1, 2004
  18. midlifecrisis

Not at all; I docked the captive as soon as I bought it and fitted a male iec so as to be able to use other cables with it.

midlifecrisis, Oct 1, 2004
  19. midlifecrisis

blakeaudio

i now have two shiva and one vishnu in my system, and i am amazed at the improvement these things bring. i am now thinking about another vishnu into a power block and based on the performace of these two cables, i'm starting to consider being a little extreme and going for a valhalla to the power block instead. i've been told that the cable to the block is by far the most important, and that the cables following it retain most of the benefit of the cable to the block....
    the only problem is that i'm having trouble finding a block that has a normal iec plug.... can anyone help on this?

blakeaudio, Oct 11, 2004
Ask a Question