[Review] Marantz CD7

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by merlin, Dec 6, 2004.

1. merlin

Stax DMA-X2

Dear Arlequen:

Sorry for not getting back to you before now, but I am rightfully excused since I just been seduced by the sound of my CD-7, but Yes I am sure the Holland Chips are better and some day I would like to hear them. But tell me Arlequen, do you have one or two of these S1 (Double Crowns) installed in your DAC 960??

Hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely Stax.

Stax DMA-X2, Jan 16, 2009
  2. merlin

Arlequen Vinyl Addict

On the Philips DAC 960 there is only 1 (one) TDA1541 S1 Double Crown Holland

Arlequen, Jan 16, 2009
  3. merlin

macnow

Serial

Inspired by this discussion I took a short trip to the back panel of my CD7 only to discover serial number 001!

It won't change my attitude towards the player hovewer. It gave me already countless hours of ultimate pleasure for couple of years, so I could't respect this marvel of audio design more.

Cheers

System

CD7, BAT preamp VK 5i, Electrocompaniet 250R, Hales Revelation 3, MIT balanced interconnects

macnow, Feb 13, 2009
  4. merlin

macnow

I just took long hard look at your sample of S1 double crown, and as much as I'm trying not to be paranoic I can see that bottom crown has somewhat different shape than the upper one. Both should be exactly the same If marked on the production line I guess, as in your example of S2 DC.

Cheers

macnow, Feb 13, 2009
  5. merlin

Papa Lazarou

I've heard the Marantz CD7 countless times. It's a good player for sure but I think people get carried away when they say how good it is.

Papa Lazarou, Feb 14, 2009
  6. merlin

tda

The Dutch TDA1541 S1 one or double crowns are not better then the ones produced in Taiwan.
    I have this 'stereosound - all about marantz' book, it says this:

Read more on my website:
    http://www.dutchaudioclassics.nl/the_evolution_of_dac_the_digital_filter/ :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2011
    tda, Oct 25, 2009
  7. merlin

RobHolt Moderator

Nice website - thanks for the link!

RobHolt, Oct 25, 2009
  8. merlin

brokenwrist-1

Hi, If you would ever decide to sell this player, please contact me, I would be very interested! And of course I would give you a very good price for it!

Cheers

brokenwrist-1, Nov 23, 2009
  9. merlin

tda

I have a CD7 too. Before that i had a CD15. I traded the CD15 for a CD12.
    When i first heard the CD15, i was suprised by it sound. It sounded lively, musical and entertaining. Then i got the CD7. It was a dreamplayer for me, i read many good things about it so this had to be a play with a beautiful sound. But i was disapointed when i first heard it. It did not suprise me like the CD15 did. But i thought it needed time, i thought i had to discover the sound of the CD7.
    Then i could get my hands on the CD12 LE. Again, i was suprised by the sound. Beautiful, very very musical, and above al entertaining. Like a childrens music box, it has a beautiful sound.
    With that player i know the sound of the CD7 was not my sound. to me the CD7 sounds to 2D, to upfront and to analytical. It doenst have that rich edge like the CD15 or CD12 has.
    For now i am going to enjoy the CD12 for a while, then i will connect the CD7 and will try to hear what the CD7 does to me.
    But that CD12 LE, what a special and wonderful player it is!! :)

tda, Dec 11, 2009
  10. merlin

tda

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2011
    tda, Dec 12, 2009
  11. merlin

crispy98007

cdm-1 mech

Hi all,

I have a Philips LHH-1000, the identical North American version of the European CD-12LE CD/DAC.

Does anyone know of any CDM-1 drive mechanisms available anywhere in the world? Mine is shot.

DAC blew up 6 months ago too, the DACs need replacing. TDA1541S1s are impossible to find, likely I'm getting S2 replacements which seem to still be around.

Any help is appreciated.

Chris

crispy98007, Feb 9, 2010
  12. merlin

Tweedle-Dee

Chris,
    Sorry to hear about the problems with your classic player. There is a Philips CDM1 mechanism currently listed on ebay Germany and Taiwanese S2 DAC chips are available from a seller in Australia also through ebay.
    Tweedle-Dee

Tweedle-Dee, Apr 9, 2010
  13. merlin

tda

Ask a Question