[Review] Mark Levinson NO.390S

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amir, Dec 26, 2004.

1. amir

amir

Mark Levinson NO.390S

In one word is 'Analog sound from one digital player'.
    I think for 16 bit digital this is end of resolution and transparency.
    I listened it with wilson speakers and patus amplifier.
    amplifier for this test was not good but player ability in producing music with superior transparency was evident. it's focus and image was the best i heard and so smooth and free grain high was it's difference with all digital players.
    about tonality it was so neutral in frequency range and if you use it's pre section to an organic power amp like krell with high resulution speaker like dynaudio, sound is on dream side. i love this player for it's long listenning session. no fatigue during long listenning and very easy on ear. about bad recorded music there is no expect for making good music and you just listen to truth. bass had definition and was extended with bloom. mid was excellent with low coloration. high was smooth and integrated.
    about player weakness i couldnot detect any problem but many prefer SACD for it's better resolution and in comparison with krell SACD when krell play SACD disk you hear more information.
    for CD playback levinson is a bragin but keep in mind you need highend amp and speaker to match it.

amir, Dec 26, 2004
  2. amir

Garmt

I'm demoeing the 390S at this moment, I am letting it settle for a few more days and then will start listening seriously. First impressions are: controlled, very transparant, every technical aspect very good, but 'dead' sounding, no fun...

Garmt, Aug 16, 2005
  3. amir

eric_audio

Even with the fixed connections, Garmt?

eric_audio, Aug 16, 2005
  4. amir

Garmt

Yes, Eric... :) :JOEL: Compared to my CEC+Ack, it sounds superior in technical terms, but not musical... Will have to listen some more, because maybe I need to adjust to the new sound.

Garmt, Aug 16, 2005
  5. amir

JackOTrades

Has any of you heard the Reimyo? I know they are not the easiest thing to get hold of but they are worth the effort if you have a very high end system (imho).

I heard one a few months ago (the CDP-777) and the detail and soundstage were simply breathtaking.

Jack

JackOTrades, Aug 18, 2005
  6. amir

midlifecrisis Firm member

if you're demming in this league, recommend you also have a listen to the newly released DCS p8i, which I just bought to replace a Krell SACD. this is a CD+ SACD player which upsamples everything to DSD. can also drive power amps direct, though that's not how I'm using it. it's hugely detailed but still engaging. I didn't hear the Levinson, although Ive heard similar comments to yours about it. I demmed the DCS agains the popular Audio Research CD, which I thought it bettered in every way bar soundstage.

midlifecrisis, Aug 18, 2005
  7. amir

eric_audio

I never heard the thing (quite frankly I had never heard of Reimyo), but I found a nice review of it:

http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/combak2/cdp_3.html

eric_audio, Aug 18, 2005
  8. amir

eric_audio

I heard the p8i a few months ago. The rest of the set was: Spectral DMC-30 SL pre, Spectral DMA-250 power amp, Avalon speakers (Opus or Eidolon, can't remember exactly) and MIT Oracle cabling. That sounded very refined and detailed, with an extended and well defined soundstage.

eric_audio, Aug 18, 2005
  9. amir

Snoopdog

I have had the Reimyo CDP-777 as my CD source for the past 10 months and it is a lovely machine.

Build quality is exceptional and the sound in my system is sublime.

Pictures here:-

http://photobucket.com/albums/y76/crystalref/

Snoopdog, Aug 18, 2005
  10. amir

boy_lah

other options

guys, i just went thru my CDP search myself. heard 390S, AudioAero, BlueNote Stibbert (valve version), Shanling Omega, Audiomeca Mephito (IIx and transport/dac), Shanling, ARC CD3 Mk2...and i'm sure others...

for my taste, i prefered and bought the Audiomeca. very musical and affordable second hand. if people are interested in a longer post/comparison etc...let me know and i'll post. but pls let me know what you're trying to do/rest of your system as it's all very personal/different not necessarily better.

most impressive thing i've heard digi wise is EMM Labs Dac and Transport. Blows DCS away and if i could afford it, why bother with vinyl!

boy_lah, Aug 31, 2005
  11. amir

Garmt

That's some search... :)

I would love a more descriptive post! I crave a sound thats fluid, natural, homogenic and gives could musical insight. To give you an idea: I don't like the sound of the 390S and I don't like most tube output players. I currently use a non-oversampling DAC and CEC transport, they sound very 'analog' together, which I like. I have a Lavardin IT amplifier and Wilson Benesch Arc speakers.

Garmt, Aug 31, 2005
  12. amir

wadia-miester Mighty Rearranger

Hello Clinton :)

wadia-miester, Aug 31, 2005
  13. amir

boy_lah

just my thoughts....

ML 390S - like you said. sounds big! solid, heavy, full but transparent. Not my taste but some of my friend love it - those that have ML gear already. If you like the AMERICAN sound and BIG/deep soundstage. This is the ticket!

Shanling Omega/Audio Aero Capitole Mk3 - both 'lush' sounding ie. slight emphasis on the mid band. Colours most music you play in a nice way. Great on vocals/jazz, but can get annoying on classical which prefer things more balanced across the band. These would be a good match for some systems that's a bit dry or looking to boost up the musicality factor. I owned the Shanling CDT-100 for years and love it for long time but in the end found everything started sounding the "same".

Between the two, the AA was more hifi whilst the Omega was more musical but both had a sound - pick your choice.

AA's pre is only good if you can't stretch the budget. A stand alone is still still better budget permitting. And I prefer a good valve pres anyway.

ARC CD3 Mk2 - very 'acurate', clinical? do no wrong, but do nothing great either? if you already love the sound of the rest of your system, esp a musical one, a pure "disc reader" with little color/personality could be a good match.

Gamut CD1 Mk2 - good all rounder...leans more on hifi than musical. presentation is more ARC CD3/AA than Audiomeca/Stibbert. But not on par with either of these. Opus21 and maybe Stibbert terrirtory (but diff presentation)?

Opus21 - a nice, reasonably transparent player, good price, on the laid back soundstage but never clinical. Some may find it boring as it doesn't WOW you but just plays music nicely. Good for system that's after a generally neutral musical player and the laid back/unimpossing/milder presentation isn't going to hurt.

Audiomeca Mephisto Transport/Dac - wonderfully musical. gives me the incrase in resolution i was after (above my stock shanling CDT100) but wasn't too etched, too spotlit, didn't impress with big soundstage, etc.. etc... it has enough hifi qualities so your forget about hifi and focus on music. More sophisticated than the Opus21 and more 'right' than the Opus21. AM definately has a milder presentation than say the AA but it doesn't stand out like the Opus21. If you prefer more forward presentation - try AA Capitole/Gamut/ARC?.

Bluenote Stibbert (valve) version - my next favourite. Less coloured than the AA or Shanling Omega, with less 'hint' of lushness. it's floating design meant lots of air and lovely deep and big soundstage - more middle/back hall presentation. it reminds me of a good player when suspended on e.g. voodoo airtek or townsend air bladder platforms.

Oh, and EMM Labs DAC/Transport - well out of my range and if funds permitting, worth it. Wow!

Summary
    At the end of the day, my view is it's all about system synergy. If your system is too hifi and you're looking to make it sound more enjoyable - try the lush players - but note, they do presents all CDs in a certain 'nice' colour. If your system is already musically satisfying then more lush maybe too much of a good thing? Try Bluenote or maybe Opus21 or even ARC CD3. ML 390S - if you already buy ML stuff, then no debate. Audiomeca as you gather is my favourite. Its not perfect but for my system, i figure it'll be a good fit.

pps - hi Tony. :D

boy_lah, Aug 31, 2005
  14. amir

KUB3 ciao

I listened to the 390s and nearly bought one as I had a good ex demo deal lined up for £3800. However I thought the chord64 dac was just as good for £2000. A lot of the extra money is spent on the nice ML box. However, the Benchmark DAC1 is indistinguishable against the Chord, so it represents phenomenal value indeed, new for 800! As nice as the ML box is, I couldn't justify the wastage.

I also demo'd the opus 21 btw. I agree with others that it's very smooth and unassuming. I think I prefer a little more detail personally. However it's a great little product to rival the 390s in an equally nice looking box, although not as heavy.

KUB3, Mar 1, 2006
  15. amir

teancake

I have peviously owned both the ML 390S, Chord DAC 64 (with a DVD player as transport) and now the Opus 21. The levinson I found to be very transparent and detailed with slightly dark sound, too much mid bass energy I think. Be VERY cautiuos if buying one of these used as the transport is the players achillies heel. Its is not a bought in item sourced from Sony or Philips but a bespoke item built from the ground up. It is expensive to repair when it goes wrong and its not that reliable in the first place. Several times I was caught out as the draw started to shut as soon as it had opened, resulting in a trapped disc and jammed draw. The DAC64 initially impressed with detail and dynamics. It also had quite a profound effect on the soundstage resulting in a much taller and wider sound which was impressive. Tonally however its not so good, bass notes in particular sound synthetic. The Opus 21 I have had for a little while and would agree that via its RCA outputs it can be a little safe sounding. Recently I was advised to try the DIN output as this bypasses the pre-amp section of the player, the result? a significant improvement in detail, transparency and dynamics. Tonally it remains the best I have heard.

teancake, Apr 1, 2006
  16. amir

Lexluthor

...some facts and easy fix

Not true - it is a modified Philips CDM 12 IND (similar to the one used in Philips CD PRO) but without the original Philips transport clock. The transport is fed by a unique main clock developed by Madrigal.

Unfortunately some ML 37, 39 and early 390S have had problems with the lubrication grease which could become sticky after several years. However, it is fairly ease to relubricate the mechanical parts of the drawer, such as pulleys and shafts with e.g. Electrolube SPG or similar long term lubrication. If you are capable of installing a new DVD-ROM in a PC you will have the skill for this as well.

A new and improved driving belt for the drawer motor should also be replaced. This synthetic rubber band is an inexpensive part.

The drawer in my player is foolproof - if a disk is inserted improperly the drawer closes partially and reopens with in slow motion – quite fascinating.....

Lexluthor, Aug 31, 2006
Ask a Question