[Review] Musical Fidelity A5 Dab / Analogue Tuner

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by DaveHiFi, Jul 19, 2007.

1. DaveHiFi

DaveHiFi Seeking Nirvana

Musical Fidelity A5 Dab / Analogue Tuner

Well having purchased one of these a month or so back it has now had a good run in. I bought the tuner from Nando who contributes to the forum and I would like to say what a great guy to deal with. We spoke on the phone and I can say he is a genuine HiFi enthusiast and can whole heartidly recommend dealing with him. Anyway the tuner which was new came boxed and with a remote control plus all the warrenty and manual stuff.
    The setup was easy it sef tuned all the Dab stations in, which where I live in Bradford managed 50 of them mind you a few really are not my taste.

My system is currently a 150x naim power amp, 122x pre amp with micromega stage 6 cd player. The interconnect for this and my new tuner is 2 pairs of Audioquest Ruby's. All this feeding a pair of Linn Keleigh's on the special bases.

Putting on the tuner and choosing Planet Rock the sound was a little thin to say the least. It was clear at the top end but no bass so I used it on a regular basis over the next fortnight.

The aspect of burning in a piece of hifi equipment is frustration, well more the wait I would say. Anyways the sound over this period took on a whole new dimention as the sound softened and the soundstage actually widened. Just like when I first got the naims.

Now weeks down the line I love it on both the Analogue and Dab. I would say on a good analogue broadcast on FM it seems to have a slight edge. On the Dab I cant tell wether the upsampling has an effect because you cant turn that off but seeing the influx of upsamples in the hifi market place I assume it does.

Would I recommend this tuner, the answer is yes without reservation. The only gripe I have is with the moving between the stations on Dab........you have to press the select button on the remote pretty damn sharpish. The remote by the way is split into three section for other MF gear and its pretty naff.

Dave

ps hope your keeping well Nando thanks once again for a great bargain.....my friend

DaveHiFi, Jul 19, 2007
Ask a Question