[Review] Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by alanbeeb, Jun 3, 2004.

1. alanbeeb

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 21 DAC

Someone on another thread that was questioning MFs critical reputation asked if anyone had a chance to review this product yet.

I owned this DAC for just over a month and have just sold it this evening to a good friend who I am sure will be very happy with it. It has ended up costing me £100 for the pleasure of having this DAC for a month but I don't quite see it as money down the drain.

The fact that I have sold this DAC probably gives the game away about where this review is going... but remember this is my own subjective experience and I am increasingly sure that above a certain level there is not very much poor kit, just subjective differences to choose from.

I bought the DAC without having a chance to audition it. Oh dear, I really should learn not to do that again. The dealer was unable to offer a demonstration or loan as MF were selling them so quickly and had no unit to lend out for demos, due to the demand raised by the superb reviews. Egged on by those reviews and by the thought that ultimately I would probably be able to sell it on without too much of a loss, I decided to take a flyer on it. Two months after ordering, I finally received it at the end of April.

I have a Sony SCD-XA3000ES SACD player which I am already very happy with. I chose it in January after auditioning the Cyrus CD8, Sugden CD master and Meridian G07. I prefered its slight warmth and superior depth to the Cyrus and Sugden, and decided at that time that the Meridian was too expensive although I thought it was extremely impressive in several regards. The Sony has 2 other advantages - its considerably cheaper and it plays SACDs which I have become quite keen on.

Anyway, I then started reading about the amazing MF Trivista 21 DAC, found I had a bit more money available and persuaded myself to buy it.

But when I got it, and after leaving it for most of a week with CD playing on repeat through it, what I found was that it didn't really sound much different from the Sony playing by itself.

Whether listening through my Headmaster & HD600 phones, or through my Lavardin IT/Quad 988s, what I found was that the Trivista DAC sounded almost identical to the Sony SCD XA3000ES but with about a 5% increase in volume. Seriously - that was the only obvious difference.

After a few weeks critical listening I began to notice (or persuaded myself to notice, not sure which) that there was a very slight improvement in resolution of detail and a slight increase in soundstage depth, with a slightly increased impression of height. But notice the repeated use of "slightly" - I am talking of tiny improvements, maybe subjectively 1-2% better.
    Not much of a return for an outlay of £1200!:(

I was not able to discern any difference between using the DAC at 96KHz or 192Khz upsampling modes. The DAC was connected to the CD player using a Nordost Silver Shadow coaxial interconnect. I also tried a van den Hul 'the First' cable. Again, could not tell them apart.

I also tried my old Pioneer DVD-717 as a transport. There was a slight loss of body to the sound but only really apparent when listening on headphones.

Based on the reviews I had read, I was expecting much more from this DAC. There is nothing wrong with the way it sounds - it does sound superb, managing to be exciting, spacious and involving, but it is only a very small improvement on the Sony player I've already got.

Maybe its the case that the Sony CD/SACD player is the real hero here, and the hifi press should be raving on about it - after all it can be bought for around £600 online.

After pondering for a week while away on holiday I decided to sell, looks like there is considerable demand whipped up by the magazine reviews and so I've managed to recoup 11/12 of my outlay.

My next move now will be to re-audition the Meridian G07, and probably try the G08 too. I clearly remember the sound of the G07 as having a bigger soundstage, more depth and impact than the MF Dac. I will also possibly try other seperate DACs, possibly Bel Canto and Audio Note. On the other hand I might stop where I am as I have renewed respect for my Sony!

Lessons learned - Never buy without an audition. Reviews are just reviews. Avoid hype.

I'm sorry if my own personal review disappoints anyone. I am sure that for many people this DAC will represent a clear and significant improvement on their CD replay. However, it did not justify itself in my case.

alanbeeb, Jun 3, 2004
  2. alanbeeb

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

Hiya

Just a quick plug for the DAC 64. Worth an audition, and available second hand for the money you spent on the trivista.

If I were shopping at that pricepoint, Id be trying also the benchmark model (I think thats what its called) that Ya-boo and Wadia meister talk about a lot. Havent heard it myself.

:)

bottleneck, Jun 3, 2004
  3. alanbeeb

What I've heard about the DAC 64 so far leads me to think its not what I'm looking for - I prefer depth and imgaing. The reviews of it tend to talk in terms of forward, exciting, bright etc. If there is a convenient dealer I may give it a try though.

alanbeeb, Jun 3, 2004
  4. alanbeeb

michaelab desafinado

The DAC64 has superb soundstage depth and imaging but it's main attribute is the way it connects you with the music in a way very few other digital sources I've heard can do. Some people interpret that as forward and exciting, or even bright :rolleyes:

I can say that it categorically is not bright allthough I'll go along with forward and exciting but it certainly isn't "in your face".

I really would suggest a listen if you can.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 3, 2004
  5. alanbeeb

Will try to find one locally - problem is that if there is not one in Edinburgh then finding time to travel elsewhere is difficult. :(

alanbeeb, Jun 3, 2004
  6. alanbeeb

ditton happy old soul

would you like me to return the favour and let you have a home demo of the Dax Decade?

ditton, Jun 3, 2004
  7. alanbeeb

SCIDB Moderator

Hi Alanbeeb,

You could try a trip to Glasgow and check out Glasgow Audio. They do Chord plus Meridan & Wadia. I have no idea what they are like as a dealer but it's worth further investigation. The next nearest dealer is in Wakefield, Yorkshire.

SCIDB.

SCIDB, Jun 3, 2004
  8. alanbeeb

There's also Connoisseur Audio in Fife.

Their stock has changed a lot since the new owner took over, but they used to do Chord at any rate.

Chris

bottleneck, Jun 3, 2004
  9. alanbeeb

amdworld

interesting and glad your honest about all this,i also recently auditioned the MF DAC and pretty much came to the same conclusion it was doing very little to enhance any sound.I ran it alongside a ARCAM CD93T.MF 3.2 CDP. and came away with a 93T.I HAD TESTED IT in use with a ARCAM CD82 and a low cost Marantz model ,at no stage throughout that long afternoon in my local store did the MF 3.2 do anything to make me part with my ccard.
    to the next point as regards to reviews ,most reviews we see with kit like this is a one man review and probably has the options of keeping the gear for a very long time.so an element of the final outcome is governed by perhaps a promise or a polite gesture without being blatant also a previous released review may well influence the writers thouhts!
    I know having spent 3 years writing articles about computer hardware some PR reps like to see there products shine.Also unless you get an exclusive on a product it is so easy to be influenced by someone elses view.
    Im not knocking the review/magazine scene it has it purpose in terms of awareness and product release.If you ever see the comment if the hardware is not up to standard we wont write about it,yet you may still find it in your local store. Who's kidding there!

just my thoughts tell em if im wrong i can take it

:cool:

cya brian

amdworld, Jun 17, 2004
  10. alanbeeb

Lt Cdr Data om

I agree with your sentiments entirely, I think the problem is the hype in the mags., cultivated by sexy attractive looking gear, and peoples hopes are raised.
    Then you get it home and find out its no better than regular kit.
    One has to remember, these reviewers sometimes get bits free, and also don't have to shell out hard earned cash on it.
    the blame lies at the mags. who really need to moderate their hyperbole.
    And at some of us for constantly being taken in. Not that that's a crime.
    Lets get wise to these tactics, and see through the hype.

Lt Cdr Data, Jun 19, 2004
  11. alanbeeb

Ken

Hi,

I am new on here so be gentle with me!

I have purchased a MT Tri Vista 21 DAC.

I know exactly what you mean when you say that you don't understand what all the fuss is about.

But, and it is a big but (no not mine).

I brought it home on loan over a long weekend, plugged it in and left it for a couple of hours. Went in and listened to a few favourites and was underwhelmed.

Nothing special, neither good nor bad, certainly no better than what I was using, (Krell KPS 30i) or what I had a couple of years ago (various transports with a Wadia 64.4 DAC).

I listened on and off for a couple of days, it was "different" still not better or worse.

Then I realised that I could understand more of what was going on in the music, passages that were always muddled or confused were clearer, multi instruments were audible instead of just a passage that was difficult to listen too.

CD's that I had played for years were more understandable.

I would listen to a passage or a track then play it on the Krell, on the Krell it was all still there, but it took a play on the Tri Vista for me to first understand the music.

I even tried it the other way, Krell first then Tri Vita then back to the Krell, resulted in, could not fully understand it, then could, then still could.

The Tri Vista does not have the bottom end power of the Krell but I can live with that, I am keeping it.

I hope some of this makes sense.

I could not hear the difference between 96 & 192.

The rest of my gear is quite good, but not latest state of the art stuff, all between 8 & 12 years old.

Ken, Jun 22, 2004
  12. alanbeeb

Ted

Further to Ken's note, I wanted to post my views about the Tri-Vista DAC. I picked mine up about two weeks ago, to run with my MF X-Ray player. I use MF pre-amp / power amps running through ATC SCM35 speakers.

I would echo many of Ken's comments - it has only been over extended listening sessions last weekend that I have really begun to get to grips with this DAC's sound. The best way I can describe it is that I am hearing more of the CD - for example, I listened to Britten's Turn of the Screw (Phillips AAD recording made in early 80s - Colin Davis conducting) and this disc simply came alive. Obviously it's a chamber orchestra and mainly female voices - I think in the past I have found it very difficult to capture the true essence of the opera, whereas now I feel the sound is so much more complete.

I'm still making conclusions about the sound, and will post further comments another time, but so far I am happy.

Ted, Jun 23, 2004
  13. alanbeeb

I wondered for a while if the Trivista DAC 21 might be delineating inner detail more clearly - but after a while put this down to wishful thinking as I could get the same effect by simply turning up the volume a touch while playing my current player.

My feeling is that if you cannot immediately notice some effect from changing a component then there may not be any. Certainly when I tried the other CD players - meridian G07, G08, Cyrus CD8 etc the difference was immediately obvious.

In meantime I am still looking for other things to try..... would like to give the Chord DAC64 a go but cannot find one on demo anywhere in Scotland.

alanbeeb, Jun 23, 2004
  14. alanbeeb

Ken

Hi again,

I have been searching for the "perfect" system for near on 25 years and, I still know very little, (or in my native Yorkshire “still know nowtâ€Â) .

However, one thing I have learned is that unless there is a major discrepancy in quality between components, it is the components that hit you straight away that you get rid of quickest.

Alan, I now find that I can turn down the volume and still retain all of the detail and more importantly retain all of the musical understanding. Conversely I find that I can increase the volume to previously unheard of levels and the music stays musical.

One thing is certain there is no right and wrong between most high level components only differences, one mans meat is another mans jealousy, well you know what I mean.

Ken

Ken, Jun 23, 2004
  15. alanbeeb

My experience is different - each ploughs his own way - I had this dac for a month and after a lot time spent listening and enjoying, and after a lot of thought, I decided to sell it because I simply didn't think it made enough of a difference. That is my own subjective impression. But I am happy it is working for you. Too right about another mans meat etc.... above a certain level the differences are not good & bad, just in the presentation.

Ken & Ted - did you try other equipment i.e. other Dacs or other Cd players before settling on the Trivista DAC? I'd be interested to know what you thought because it may be kit that I'm thinking of auditioning. Another factor is possibly it might be worth looking at other components than the source - although I'm completely happy with my Lavardin IT amplifier it has been suggested that decently powerful valves such as Quad II-40s or EAR 509 might achieve even better things with my speakers.

About an hour after my last post on this thread saying I would like to try the Chord DAC64 but couldn't get a demo, I got a phone call from Glasgow Audio who have brought one round to my house tonight and left it for a few days. The difference with and without it is more than palpable. So far I'm very impressed with it and just maybe this might be what I'm lookin for.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2004
    alanbeeb, Jun 24, 2004
  16. alanbeeb

Ted

Alan - I didn't listen to other DACs, but did try a number of CD players - Copland / Meridian. The overall outlay would have been significantly higher though (I'd have had to sell my existing X-Ray player) than the £1,000 I spent on the MF DAC. In the end I decided to save myself the extra £1,500!

Ted, Jun 24, 2004
  17. alanbeeb

Lt Cdr Data om

how does the xray compare to the tri dac?

Lt Cdr Data, Jun 24, 2004
  18. alanbeeb

Ted

The X-Ray is a good CDP and you can buy the DAC separately in the form of the X-DAC 24K. In terms of how it compares, I've tried to capture that in my previous posts, but to summarise, it seems to draw more out of the recording. You start to notice more of the music, particularly in sparcely orchestrated music such as Britten's Turn of the Screw which I referred to before. My DG recording of Shostakovich's string quartets (Emerson qtet) just comes alive - you feel like the quartet is in front of you - from the intake of breath to virtually smelling the resin!

If you cannot get to audition one, I woudl try and listen to the Tri-Vista player - the sound is not dissimilar.

Ted, Jun 24, 2004
  19. alanbeeb

KAP

DAC Differences

I tried the Tri-Vista DAC at home for a weekend, courtesy of Walrus and found an improvement that varied from CD to CD and with the settings. Preferring the sound of vinyl but not having many of my favourite albums in that medium, I was taken by the warmth added to the previously unlistenable CD's. In fact CD's of Springteen's The River and Tom Waits' Small Change, both having been confined to shelf in favour of worn out vinyl copies are now both back in use.

Other Disc's revealed greater detail the percussion on Where Are You Tonight, on Bob Dylan's Street Legal and previously unheard sound and separation on Radiohead's Kid A.

Needless to say I bought one.

Much of my listening is via Sennheiser 600 and a MF X-Can, and I know that every time I use them I wish I had speakers that sounded like them, so it maybe that speakers of some distinction (cost) are required in order to fully appreciate the differences produced by the DAC.

I also find the DAC sounds best if left on and better still if the CD is left to repeat so that everything is warmed up.

KAP, Jul 31, 2004
  20. alanbeeb

KAP welcome to the forum!

hope to see you in the forum more.

Cheers
    Chris

nb
    If youre a Dylan fan looking for cheap day-to-day vinyl, a lot of his back catalogue is available at www.simplyvinyl.co.uk for about a fiver each (or so!). Theres some bad things said about simply vinyl, but Ive had nothing but great sounds in the 4-5 times Ive bought from them.

bottleneck, Jul 31, 2004
Ask a Question