[Review] Zanash Diy Silver I/c Lead

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by STELLABAGPUSS, Mar 20, 2006.

1. STELLABAGPUSS

STELLABAGPUSS Happy Chappy

Zanash Diy Silver I/c Lead

Having read so much on the forum from Zanash, about his DIY cables, I thought I would try to make up some up myself.

If you don't know already the design is pretty straight forward, All I used was 4 X Gold plated RCA phone connectors,some PTFE Sleeveing, and the vital ingredient 0.5mm Pure Silver Solid Cable. Apart from the RCA Plugs,I purchased the material from Zanash, simply to make things simple. Making the Leads up was pretty easy, as long as you can solder,you are laughing. Just make sure you remember to twist the cables nice and tight.

So the million dollar question, was it worth it, a big YES. I can report like many others,that it's quite a eye opener. Without rambleling on to much, I am now enjoying a cleaner MID/HI Freq's, better soundstage. You seem to be able to pick up Studio Production flaws as well. This could be really heard on Janis Joplin's Pearl CD,Track 3 "Woman Left Lonely", you can hear where Janis's Vocals have been edited. I can also report, that the speed of instruments are now faster. One of My main Concerns,were put to rest,the Bass end is nice and clean,and hasn't lost any weight.

So what was I using before? Van Den Hull D102MKIII, which are pretty highly rated by many.I've always found them a very neutral cable,which they are, but against Zanash' design,you seem loose the speed and soundstage.

The only downside to these I/C's, is that may sound to detailed for some, Personally I love all the detail they capture. I can imagine these cables would really improve the sound of a cheap budget set-up.

I would like to thank Zanash for such a great cable, I would recommend anyone to give them a try. So, now I've got the DIY bug, my next step is Zanash DIY SPEAKER cables,on which I will report on at a later date.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2006
    STELLABAGPUSS, Mar 20, 2006
  2. STELLABAGPUSS

zanash

Do you mean speaker cables in the last line !

Thanks for the nice words.......

I'm still of the opinion that many high end cables are not all they may claim.... The 0.5mm silver provided was only4n [I say only!] I think that some of the cables that claim higher purity silver and copper for that matter are using relatively impure off the shelf stuff. Though it may be down to the overly complexed construction in these cables that are there down fall. None of my design and ideas are earth shatteringly different, but with the use of good materials and the kiss principle ..very good results can be had !

zanash, Mar 21, 2006
  3. STELLABAGPUSS

Chris

Article on DIY i/cs ?

Hi Zanash,
    Did you ever get round to posting the DIY details for i/cs - if so, where ? (Sorry, I'm slow)
    Chris

Chris, Mar 22, 2006
  4. STELLABAGPUSS

zanash

Chris ..pm me

I can't place you and can't find any emails ?

zanash, Mar 22, 2006
  5. STELLABAGPUSS

i.j.russell

I too have a set of Zanash Silver Type 1 interconnects. My other interconnects are Black Rhodium Polar Rhythm which are extremely good at £90 for 0.5m. They were a big improvement over the QED cables that I had before.

My primary system is a modified Arcam Alpha 5+, Audiolab 8000S as a pre, Audiolab 8000P and Arcadys bookshelf speakers. My speaker cables are biwired Zanash Silver. I also have a dual mono LM3875 GainClone that I am currently running in with the intention of selling the Audiolabs.

As always with reviews, these are my impressions in my system against my perceived ideal.

First impressions of the IC are very favourable: There is significantly more detail, the soundstage is wider and deeper and transients are quicker. However, it has two major failings from my perspective. Firstly, it is overly revealing of poor recordings particularly badly mastered 80's CDs. Secondly, it don't boogie like the Rhythm.

The IC has found it's place in my headphone system (Arcam Alpha 5, Rega Ear headphone amp and Grado SR125 headphones). In this environment, listening to ambient and space music, it is fantastic.

Peter (Zanash) has suggested that his Silver/Gold interconnects will give me everything that I want so that will be my next upgrade (along with the mains cables that I am building using cable supplied by Zanash).

i.j.russell, Mar 27, 2006
  6. STELLABAGPUSS

STELLABAGPUSS Happy Chappy

Interesting that your findings are similar to mine. Thankfully my Setup hasn't lost it "Boogie Factor" with this I/C, this is due to some of my compenonts (MF X-PSUV3) adding what was a bit too much low end enegy,and also the fact my room is small. I've since re-wired my 2 MF Units (XDACV3 & X10V3) with the silver cable,which again given me better speed,width etc,...the same but more is one way of putting it....Once I have sorted out all my little mods out , I will have to try out his Gold/Silver I/C Lead.

STELLABAGPUSS, Mar 28, 2006
  7. STELLABAGPUSS

zanash

Just drop me a pm when your ready !

zanash, Mar 28, 2006
Ask a Question