Reviews & recommendations

Discussion in 'General Music' started by michaelab, Jun 20, 2003.

1. michaelab

MO! MOnkey`ead!

MO!, Feb 4, 2007
  2. michaelab

ben556473

Try listening to Julie Ellison, she tours small venues, I heard her at The Square and Compasss pub (Outside of Swanage, Isle Of Purbeck) some time ago and bought her cd. She plays guitar very well indeed and has a strong voice. If you fancy a listen check out www.julieellison.co.uk where you can see and hear her. The sound on the website obviously does not do her justice but if you buy her cd you will be treated to great recordings both using analogue and digital equipment. The music is is that of a strong woman and is very interesting instrumentally, nice to listen to.

ben556473, Mar 6, 2007
  3. michaelab

foxwelljsly

Hmmm, my mate plays flute there.......

On a contemporary folk vibe, Espers, Flook, Tunng and Michael McGoldrick are all very good indeed.

Espers The Weed Tree has the most gorgeous version of 'Black is the Colour' I have ever heard. Flook play folk from across the British Isles with a Jazzy elan that is very engaging Flatfish is a very good pplace to start, Tunng play sort of dark English traditional music with a strong dose of electronica and Michael McGoldrick plays Irish traditional music with a very contemporart edge that sounds right (thing the opposite of Big Country...)

Bom Shanka

Back to lurking..............

foxwelljsly, Mar 6, 2007
  4. michaelab

ben556473

The cider's mind warping up there, good stuff.:D

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2007
    ben556473, Mar 7, 2007
  5. michaelab

banpe2006

just listened tot ony bennet and kd lang ...a wonderful world...great arrangements

banpe2006, May 4, 2007
  6. michaelab

DDay

Does anyone here listen to Bosa Nova? Its a good chillout music.

DDay, May 16, 2007
  7. michaelab

dehavillandrfc Enrico and The Fermions

Other great live albums

Well, now you're asking... My faves are:

• Who - Live at Leeds
    • Johnny Winter And - Live
    • Little Feat - Waiting for Columbus
    • Led Zeppelin - How the West Was Won
    • Joe Cocker - Mad Dogs and Englishmen

These are all great live albums imho - some better known than others. But if you like great rock music played by some of the best musicians to grace the planet then these albums are must buy for your collection.

Enjoy!

dehavillandrfc, May 21, 2007
  8. michaelab

scott_01

scott_01, May 24, 2007
  9. michaelab

scott_01

Live albums?

Try 'Quicksilver Messenger Service' - Great recording and classic blues-rock too.

I hate hippies but if it doesn't make you want to shake your long unkemp hair whilst muttering 'right on' then I will eat my face; almost as good as 'cream' at the Albert Hall IMO.

Laters

Or New Order at Glastonbury 85 (87?) or BBC Sessions (do they count)?

scott_01, May 24, 2007
  10. michaelab

vj101

blues

help bules player trade mark white suit white hat deep voice played banjo late night tv 80s90s name he played under might be red dog thank for any help

vj101, Aug 26, 2007
  11. michaelab

vj101

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

vj101, Aug 26, 2007
  12. michaelab

ADPully

Deep Purple made in Japan has been heralded as one of the best live albums - Kerrrang wrote in 1992 "There are moments on this record that have never been been beaten" for me child in time is one such. The cymbal sound is paticularly good. It really take you into the performance - This really is a special Album.

There is a CD called Deep Purple live in Japan a 3cd set with more of the performances from Osaka(2) and Tokyo(1)

If I had to pick out 3 other special live rock CD's
    They would be;-
    Gentle Giant - King Biscuit
    Genesis - Genesis Live
    Tangerine dream - Live Miles

Great though these these rock performances are IMO they do not quite match many of the best Jazz or folk events I have in my collection from people like Zakir Hussian, Pentangle and Stan Getz
    Andy

ADPully, Aug 27, 2007
  13. michaelab

Nuuk

I've been coming to ZeroGain for quite a while but only just got into reading the music reviews!

Probably the best new album I have heard this year is Gwyneth Herbert and Will Rutter 'First Songs'. Ms Herbert excels with her vocals, there is some great material, and the sound quality will make almost any sytem sound good!

Two of my old favourites which I would recommend to any self-respecting audiophile are 'Dafos' by Hart/Airto/Purim, and Sister Drum by Dadawa.

Both the above albums will test any system to the full. The dynamic range on one or two of the Dadawa tracks is just about as large as you can get on a CD!

And while I'm at it, how about anything by the amazing Eric Bibb. Blues with some great philosophy.

Nuuk, Aug 28, 2007
  14. michaelab

cooky1257

Just picked remastered LA Woman and Morrison Motel on CD.
    Lots of cool sleeve notes.
    The albums are remixed from the original multitracks and previously unused over dubs-with mixed results.
    An overall cleaner clearer-more modern sound.
    An interesting curiosity purchase really with LA Woman edging it over the original and MH not.
    If you like the doors its worth having if only for the bonus outtakes.
    Frank

cooky1257, Sep 6, 2007
  15. michaelab

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

A whole eleven days since anyone's posted a review or a reccomendation in this section.

A shame!

It is up to us all to keep the music section vibrant... come on in!! :D

I am going to talk about 'Tosca' - Souvenirs.

It's a Kruder and Dorfmeister album full of re-mixes.

A mix of all kinds of different dance music, some is chilled, some you'd hear in a club, even some dubby sounding tracks. Really allsorts.

It's the allsorts nature which is the albums greatest charm, and also it's weakness. Whereas its a great album to dip into and play something new - and also, there are some real standout tracks.

Other tracks work less well, the diversity in it is a double edged sword. Such I fear is what happens with a re-mix album.. many chefs giving many different flavours. Like a buffet, you don't like everything you see!

Still, it's got a regular play on my system, so that gets the bottleneck seal of approval :p

Amazon have got it 'new and used' from £3.49, so smash your china piggy bank and take a punt. If you like K&D, I guarantee you'll like a couple of tracks at least.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Souvenirs-R...9317222?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1190231871&sr=8-1

bottleneck, Sep 19, 2007
  16. michaelab

la toilette Downright stupid

I was listening to a CD from the library the other week of stuff by 'the Rev. Gary Davis' I think it was, a variety of blues, gospel, and sermon. Kinda liked the gospel stuff, anyone have any recommendations for some good vintage gospel recordings?

la toilette, Sep 20, 2007
  17. michaelab

kmac

Bob Harris Presents Americana has some great tracks on it.

Also not a great name for a UK band, but across the pond it don't mean nuthin..."The Little Willies" featuring Norah Jones on vocals. Much more upbeat than her usual fare, foot tappingly so.

kmac, Sep 20, 2007
  18. michaelab

squonk

Anyone who likes female singer/songwriters should check out Amanda Marshall. Give "Out of Bounds " a listen, you wont be disappointed.

squonk, Jan 31, 2008
  19. michaelab

kmac

Got a CD I recently saw advertised on TV - Raising Sand with Robert Plant (of Led Zeppelin fame) and Alison Krauss. Reactions of most are similar to MArmite - people either love or hate it. After first listen, there are some good tracks. I can recommend it.

kmac, Feb 22, 2008
  20. michaelab

Czechchris

Took me a little while, but I love it now. On first hearing it left me a little cold.
    Interestingly, as I read your post it was actually playing!

Czechchris, Feb 22, 2008
Ask a Question