Ristrictions

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by garyi, Jun 20, 2003.

1. garyi

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

I would suggest as with groovehandle, to ristrict tha amounts of rooms.

The music room already has four areas. I would suggest one area for music, then people like myself will visit more often. Having to trawl through so much gives two problems. One posts look thin, and two lazy people like myself can't be arsed.

garyi, Jun 20, 2003
  2. garyi

Robbo

I completely agree gary. there were too many rooms on GH.

Robbo, Jun 20, 2003
  3. garyi

michaelab desafinado

I see your point gary but I do think it's worthwhile having Classical and Jazz split out from the rest because otherwise people who only like classical or jazz will just be swamped by a load of stuff they're not interested in, and it means the "introduction to" threads in those forums can be made sticky without people coming into the music room and finding a load of stickies about classical and jazz which by all accounts was a little off-putting in GH and I didn't think that sub-forums as on GH was a way to solve that issue. IMO it's better to have all the available forums visible on the first page.

Some people have suggested killing the Music Reviews forum and instead just making it a sticky thread - allthough that would require one each for classical, jazz and the rest (which wouldn't be a problem though).

I think I'll leave it as is for the time being and maybe revisit in a week or so. After all, the forum structure is just a first stab :MILD:

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 20, 2003
  4. garyi

cookiemonster

IMO - i agree that seperate rooms for Jazz, Classical and 'Popular' is the way to go, so there is little overlap, and for many of those with a particular interest in one of those areas it is easier to get into, and less distracting for those not interested in classical say, to just avoid it easily.

However, it is possible IMO that the reviews section overlaps too much and will reduce the overall quality of the other 3 areas. I feel it may be better to have a single sticky in each area for reviews instead.

All 3 music types are then easily identifiable with their own review sticky.

Hopefully, this would be a good all round compromise and quite tidy. Good to leave it for a short time possibly as you suggested, just to see how things develop, as everything has moved so quickly in 24hrs! - give it time to settle down

cheers

cookiemonster, Jun 20, 2003
  5. garyi

MO! MOnkey`ead!

One alternative is perhaps, one music room and convert the reviews room into a joint reviews/faq/sticky type thingy?

And then perhaps create a room for dom to himself! Surely some of that lads crimes against the ear should be kept well away from the rest of us!

MO :D

MO!, Jun 20, 2003
  6. garyi

garyi Wish I had a Large Member

See the naim forum for a good music room.

For me I probably wouldn't have bought half the stuff I have without it. Thing is I don't Think I like Jazz, I don't Think I like classical.

As such I won't bother to visit them rooms. However if its all in one I will discover new things.

Seperation and distinction might have its advantages, but I believe that a good music forum will be quick moving, and if threads are interesting enough they will remain priority until a better thread comes along.

What will happen here is the classical and jazz rooms will have a few posts the end, and most will gravitate towards the popular room. To that end I would say again, one music room. Its better that way.

In fact I would go so far as to say no more than three or four rooms in total, throughput will be quicker, posts more dense and less moderation from you guys. Its very easy in the beginning of any undertaking to think more is better, in catering this can be devastating, piles of shite on a plate will never beat and well though out plate with no more than three items.

P.S. this is only my ideas, I will frequent here either way, driving home that the only way is naim, you know it, I know it ;)

garyi, Jun 21, 2003
  7. garyi

MO! MOnkey`ead!

here here!

If MF had a forum surely that's how they'd do things!

MO!, Jun 22, 2003
  8. garyi

michaelab desafinado

garyi - I hear what you say but I still think that Classical at least should have it's own room. The classical lovers here are vastly outnumbered by the rest so even a popular classical thread is unlikely to last near the top of the board for long. If there was a thread about Bach Cantatas in a single music room would you look at it? As I like both classical and pop (and jazz) it's hard for me to judge but from a different angle:

I don't have a TT and I know virtually nothing about TTs and they don't particularly interest me. As a result when I see a thread about the latest LP12 PSU mod or fancy cartridge I generally ignore them, the fact they're in the same room as threads I am interested in doesn't make me much more likely to read them. However, I think that, in contrast to what I said about classical lovers, there are more than enough TT heads here to keep interesting TT threads near the top along with stuff about all other gear. Besides, most TT heads have a CDP and necessarily amps and speakers aswell so there's a lot of overlap of interest which I don't think there is so much of in Classical and Pop.

I think however it might be wise to have a Reviews sticky in each music room and bin the Reviews room. I'm also considering merging the Jazz room with the "None of the above" room (and renaming it). I think that Jazz has much more overlap with rock/pop and probably a lot more mutual interest than classical.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 23, 2003
  9. garyi

cookiemonster

I agree, if you are not interested in a particular item, you are no more likely to look at it if it is in the same room or a different one. So might as well have different rooms, within reason, so that those that have more specific interets can 'grow and prosper' together, and have flourishing sub-communities within the master forum :)

cheers

cookiemonster, Jun 23, 2003
  10. garyi

michaelab desafinado

The "Music Reviews" forum is no more :MILD: - it's all been merged into the "Reviews & Recommendations" sticky in the pop/rock forum. As there were no reviews yet for jazz or classical I didn't create review threads in those forums yet.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 23, 2003
  11. garyi

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Looks a bit of a mess :confused: :rolleyes:

I think the reviews and rec's thread should be kept to just that, and users should be encouraged to post a new thread (and perhaps copy and paste the quote/review they're refering to). Then the rev'/rec' thread can stay nice and neat. Got to go tidy my room now and make sure all the edges are neat. EEEK!!! Who didn't use a coaster under their glass!!!!!

MO!, Jun 23, 2003
  12. garyi

michaelab desafinado

Don't hold back with criticism MO! :D You're a hard man to please!

TBH, with all the will in the world I don't think people are going to want or remember to follow that procedure (comment on review by creating new thread with quote) and I don't really want to be trying to enforce it. The thread is as it is becuase it was the best I could do with merging various threads from one forum into a single thread. It should sort itself out now though.

Michael.

michaelab, Jun 23, 2003
  13. garyi

MO! MOnkey`ead!

I believe it's called "constructive" :D

Don't mean to come across as harsh. Sorry if this has been the case :cool:

My thinking is that i've got a few albums I intend to do a write up on. I know from personal experience that i'm MOre likely to take notice of an individual/dedicated thread than keep refering back to the rev/rec's thread. I was thinking MOre along the lines of the poster to post it on both the rev/rec's thread and as a new thread. Thus keeping it neat and also MOre chance of replies and follow up reccomendations. These things do tend to go off on tangents!

Cheers

MO (your annoying public)

:D:D:D

MO!, Jun 23, 2003
  14. garyi

timpy Snake Oil free!!!

Ahhh... so that's why I could never find anything was it. I thought it was operator error.

Well I suppose it was anyway..... :shame:

Cheers

timpy, Jul 2, 2003
  15. garyi

Rodrigo de Sá This club's crushing bore

This is a very busy day, so this will be very short.

I agree with Michael: there must be a separate classical room, otherwise it would be submerged. We actually saw the disadvantages of merginf all in GH: the pop music enthusiasts didn't post as often as they do now, and the classical threads were banned to the Olynmpus, which no one ever visited...

And it virtually never happens that someone will want to answer to a pop thread with classical stuff or vice-versa.

Well, there are lots of reasons, but let me put it this way: it makes plain sense to keep the rooms separated.

Rodrigo de Sá, Jul 2, 2003
  16. garyi

cookiemonster

Seems to be working quite well too RDS - with plenty of traffic in both directions at the moment.

cookiemonster, Jul 2, 2003
Ask a Question