Rogers LS4a repair?

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Nels, May 7, 2005.

1. Nels

Nels

Hi,

I have a mint pair of Rogers LS4a's, however I think one of them has a blown base driver. Would anyone know whether or not they are worth repairing? If the answer is "yes" then where can I get a pair of drivers from and how do I go about replacing them, I don't even know how to take the grilles off.
    If the answer is "no", could I sell them or are they destined for the bin? It would be a real waste if they were to be binned.
    Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Nels

Nels, May 7, 2005
    1. Advertisements

2. Nels

Yellow

The grilles should just "pull off".
    The drivers will be screwed into the baffle. Around the LF driver there will be four screws (or more). Undo these carefully, so that the driver doesn't fall out. Place the loudspeaker on its back is a good method.

I have to ask this though - how have you come to the conclusion you have a blown BASS (not base) driver, if you don't even know how to get a grille off?!?!?! It may not be blown - just not connected, or there could be a dry joint in the cross-over. The inductor could have come adrift from the PCB...... or something as basic as the harness spade has fallen off the driver's terminal.

You need to look in the box first before falling to the conclusion the bass unit is blown. If you play your speakers at high levels then this may be the case, but you would have known about it beforehand with poor sound and smoke as the VC fries itself!

Let me know once you get inside the box to determine the problem!

Regards,

Neil.

Yellow, May 7, 2005
    1. Advertisements

3. Nels

Rory satisfied

i also have a pair of LS4as, but in this case the cabinets are in a really poor state of affairs and the drivers are great. The crossover and wiring has been upgraded. I am only in Lincoln. If you do decided not to go ahead with the driver replacement could you let me know please?

Rory, May 7, 2005
  4. Nels

zanash

contact Wilmsow Audio ...
    http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/

there near you Broughton Astley they are really helpful. They will be able to tell you how to check the driver and if it shot.. what to replace it with and how to do it. Remember if you replace one driver you need to replace both

zanash, May 8, 2005
  5. Nels

Nels

Thanks for the replies guys.
    The reason I think one of the drivers has blown is because my daughter turned the volume up to maximum on my amp and turned it on, ever since then it's not been right.
    I'm going to try and take the grilles off and have a look this week so I'll let you know (rory) what condition they're in.
    I have actually replaced these speakers with some Proac Response 1se's (superb) so I will probably sell them anyway to recoup some money.

Regards

Mark

Nels, May 8, 2005
  6. Nels

technobear Ursine Audiophile

The LS4a's are definitely worth preserving. Great little speakers.

Following on from Yellow's advice, once you figure out how to get into them, swap the bass drivers over. If the problem follows the bass driver then the driver is faulty. If the problem stays with the same box, then there is a crossover or wiring fault.

Actually another possibility springs to mind. The amplifier may be damaged. Have you used this amplifier with your ProAcs?

technobear, May 10, 2005
  7. Nels

Nels

Yes Chris, I have used my trusty little rotel with the Proacs with no problems. However, it is time to upgrade my amp so I think a used Sugden A21A is on the cards.

Thanks for the advice.

Mark

Nels, May 11, 2005
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question