rotel phonostage on offer.

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Lt Cdr Data, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

Lt Cdr Data, Apr 24, 2005
  2. Lt Cdr Data

Sid and Coke

looks a bit pricey to me, unless it is a NOS, mint Ex-Dem unit with all the Packaging.
    I have owned two of these Phono stages now and reckon that £45 - £65 is about right for a s/h unit in excellent condition with or without box. Expect to pay between £60 - £85 for a minter in a box.

If you do decide to go for it they are very 'tweakable' although the basic design, and quality of components is pretty good to start with. I have modified mine using an article in HFW magazine by Andy Grove as a guide. This modification increased the gain which was quite low, so that it better matched the comparatively low output of my Shure V15VxMR cartridge.

I also made a startling discovery recently whilst using this amp. I have a very Noisy central heating boiler that send loud pops through my mains everytime the boiler switches on, and has plaugued me for a few years now. This problem was only evident whilst my pre amp was selected to Phono (or aux if using an external P Stage) . I( have tried loads of different Cartridges and quite a few different (budget) phono stages, including the Rotel internal MM stage of my RC-1070 pre. Now that i am using the RQ970BX phono stage these loud and very obviuos clicks and pops from my boiler have been completely eradicated altogether, there isn't even a trace of them anymore. Even powering my entire Hi-Fi from a dedicated Hi-FI only mains spur with inbuilt electronic noise filter couldn't acheive this !

If you don't pay over the odds for one of these neat little units there always seems to be a ready s/h market for them, so you won't loose too much money from the experience of trying one out.

Here is mine

HTH.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2005
    Sid and Coke, Apr 24, 2005
  3. Lt Cdr Data

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

i thought that.

150 new, 100 second hand? - not bargain of the century but ok value.

nb data, if you end up going down there for a demo, let me know... this shop is on my housing estate, you'd be welcome to come for a coffee!

bottleneck, Apr 24, 2005
  4. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

that's a kind invite, thanks, but little chance of a demo at that price.Its probably a tad far to go for that. perhaps if I am in the area :)

I am sure they are new at 'blowout' price? obviously no good if they are s/h for 100, ebay like sid says is £50-70

just picked up a bottlehead seduction, and very good it is too, I think it would probably beat the rotel quite easily, it considerably betters most phonostages(inc a very good one I have) I have owned, it really is that good.the rotel looks nice tho and its typical japanese reliability and sound design.can't really go wrong for that.
    I have a full schematic if anyone's interested.

check this, too for about 2/3 of it:

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cach...8+rotel+rq970&hl=en&start=34&client=firefox-a

I've vacillated between diy and the reliablity/ease of commercial stuff, but the bhead is so good I am tempted to build some myself, even if it is a bit homemade.

anyone seen the michi phonostage, it looks really the biz!! excellent quality.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2005
  5. Lt Cdr Data

ListeningEar

Technosound do have a bit of a reputation for not discounting ex-dem and used products enough to reflect the fact that they are 'used'. But then other retail stores follow this pattern too.

They have a Musical Fidelity X series 3 phono stage at £250 which again when you see the unit you feel is not accurately priced. It looks like it has done the rounds in the demo rooms as well as having their standard price sticker stuck the front panel.

I am only about 10 miles from Technosound but to be honest do not go in very often, only had to go in this week to sort out a friends AV system which had to go back under warranty.

ListeningEar, Apr 24, 2005
  6. Lt Cdr Data

Anex Thermionic

They're nice stages :)

Anex, Apr 24, 2005
  7. Lt Cdr Data

Sid and Coke

Is the Schematic of the Rotel RQ970 phono ? , if so I would love to get hold of a copy.

The Michi is one of my permanent e-bay searches and has been for about 3 years now. I've never seen one for sale. I know of one Rotel Michi owner/user ( adb on HFC forum) who even said he'd consider buying a TT if he could find a Michi Phono stage at the right price to match his existing gear.

There where a couple of Michi Pre and Power amps that reared their Heads last month but alas all of my disposable was accounted for ( bloody wives andf kids ! ) .

I know that Rotel isn't very well thought of in certain camps , but i've always kinda liked it...

Sid and Coke, Apr 24, 2005
  8. Lt Cdr Data

Ken

I had the Rotel Michi Power Amp for a couple of years, it would drive anything, including Apogees.

Michi Phono stage was excellent, there would be very little in solid state that would better it at anywhere close to the price.

Now valve Phono's is another matter!

Cant say that I liked the Michi Pre.

I think I could find a .pdf of a HFW review if needed.

Ken

Ken, Apr 24, 2005
  9. Lt Cdr Data

Lt Cdr Data om

Eric Braithwaite, much lamented ex writer for hifi world liked the michi stuff when he reviewed it for the mag, but funnily, didn't take to the active pre either.

aint' that strange?

he was a great writer, shame he finished.

anyone know what he's upto?

Ask a Question