Royal Scottish National Orchestra

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by SSlithery, Jun 27, 2005.

1. SSlithery

SSlithery Registered User

Recently bought a mid-priced Chandos compilation of Neeme Jarvi leading this band through various Strauss tone poems. I was not expecting these recordings to yield any interpretive yardsticks (yea!), however, I found myself impressed with the sound of the RSNO. It is bold and robust like a good strong cup of coffee! Does this orchestra have any great recordings out there which I should take note of? TA.

SSlithery, Jun 27, 2005
  2. SSlithery

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

If you like Shostakovich or Prokofiev.... the Jarvi/RSNO recording of Shostakovich 4th Symphony is about the the best one available. Their 10th is one of the best, as is their 7th.

The Prokofiev symphonies with same conductor are very good, the 6th is again about the best available.

The Dvorak symphonies and tone poems they did with Jarvi were also well regarded at the time.

These were all recorded in late 1980's early '90s, since then the orchestra has suffered with top players leaving and unrest, and has been eclipsed somewhat by the BBC Scottish SO especially since Osmo Vanska and Martyn Brabbins got involved there. But hopefully the RSNO will get back on form again, having now appointed a new chief conductor, can't remember his name.

In last few years they have been putting out some recordings on Naxos, Marin Alsop recorded a lot of Samuel Barber with them and quite well received, also Bax symphonies with David Lloyd-Jones and a few Bruckner Symphonies with Georg Tinter. At budget price these are worth investigating.

Overall the Shostakovich 4 and Prokofiev 6 both with Jarvi on Chandos are the best recordings they have done.

alanbeeb, Jun 27, 2005
  3. SSlithery

PeteH Natural Blue

SSlithery, I take it you've seen Gramophone's website, which includes their CD review archive searchable by composer, orchestra, record label or whatever.

I can't think off the top of my head of any recordings I've got with the RSNO, though the odd time I've heard them live I've been impressed.

PeteH, Jun 27, 2005
  4. SSlithery

narabdela

Some of their Sibelius recordings under Sir Alexander Gibson, recorded in the 70's were very highly regarded at the time.

narabdela, Jun 28, 2005
  5. SSlithery

The RSNO Prokofiev symphonies look set to grace my shelves as are some of that Dvorak dessert. Cool.TA.

The 70s Sibelius also look feasible too.

That doesn't look promising! ;)

To those I shall include their reading of Strauss's tone poem on Shakespeare's 'Scottish play', M--B---. I thought Kempe's Dresden version was unsurpassable but the Scots did it. Theirs is breathtaking and has the creepy advantage of being recorded on the work's 100th anniversary. Talk about timing!

SSlithery, Jun 28, 2005
  6. SSlithery

No PeteH, I really haven't. I am rather out of touch with the current classical retail scene much less such resources as the above. But that is useful indeed, TA. Does this mean I need no longer make small discographical enquiries here?

By the way, I am finding the RSNO sound quite rich, thick and rather addictive - like good chocolate. It's far removed from the polished, brilliant tones of the VPO or BPO. Wonder if this has to do with the make of the instruments they use? That plangent brass section rather suggests a bagpipe company was their manufacturer. ;)

SSlithery, Jun 28, 2005
  7. SSlithery

PeteH Natural Blue

Absolutely not - inquire away, and please do contribute to the 'records recently heard' thread too. :)

PeteH, Jun 28, 2005
Ask a Question