Running Hi Fi on a Different Mains Voltage

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by Levi_501, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Levi_501

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

I have recently moved to Mexico from England.

In a nut shell, you can buy FA decent Hi Fi out here.

Mexican domestic electricity is set at 127V at 60Hz, the same rating at the USA; many electrical goods are manufactured/imported from USA.

As England is 230V at 50Hz, I was wondering if I could replace the toroidal transformers in some of my equipment and bring them over following our next homeland visit.

As you all well know, the components within amps, players etc do not run on 230V AC, but are stepped down.

I presume (unless someone tells me different) if I check the output of the OEM 230V toroidal transformer and match it to a suitable version that can operate from 127V AC at 60Hz it should be fine.

Whilst I appreciate there may be some comprise to the overall sound quality, it would at least be better than nothing.

Thanks in advance

Levi_501, Jul 17, 2012
  2. Levi_501

Sergeauckland

Much modern equipment has switchable mains voltages or with the smaller stuff, universal 100-240v switch-mode power supllies, or wall-warts which can be replaced locally.

Even if not switchable on the back panel, quite a lot of stuff is internally adjustable by moving a fuse, or moving a couple of soldered links.

If you confine yourself to equipment that offers 120/240 volt working, you will still have a huge range of stuff to chose from.

If you can't get what you want in 120/240 version, small stuff can be operated off a 240-110 volt step-down transformer, but operating large power amps requires a fairly big (and heavy) transformer, so that isn't such a good idea.

Finally, it may pay you to make a trip across to the USA and buy stuff there if there isn't anything available locally. Clearly, it depends where in Mexico you live, but if anywhere near the US border, it might be perfectly possible.

S.

Sergeauckland, Jul 17, 2012
  3. Levi_501

pete693

Mains voltage/frequency

I think if it was me I would approach it differently.
    First I would contact the equipment manufacturer to see if they could supply the necessary transformers,you may be surprised.If they could not then I would get from them the secondary voltage and current specs.
    Then I would source the transformers from the country you are using the equipment in.I can't believe that in this day and age such a supplier/manufacturer doesn't exist within that region.I think that they would have plenty of experience in making transformers for their own mains supply.
    I appreciate that all of that is easy for me to say since I am here but that is the way I think I would start.
    Best of luck with it.
    Pete.

pete693, Jul 17, 2012
  4. Levi_501

RobHolt Moderator

Just to add to the above, all you really need to know is the secondary voltage on the existing transformer (from manufacturer or just measure it), then replace it with 120v primary version offering the same secondary voltage as that measured. You will also need sufficient VA rating.

Just be aware that some equipment uses transformers with multiple windings, and that anything AC motors without an AC regeneration circuit of some kind will likely malfunction if run at 60Hz instead of 50Hz.

RobHolt, Jul 17, 2012
  5. Levi_501

Labarum

You are making the issue too complicated. If the equipment transformers cannot be adjusted externally or internally, buy an auto-transformer to raise the voltage to 240.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autotransformer

If your house has a three phase supply you may find the voltage across two phases is close to 240v. It may be possible, within local regulations, to install a 240v socket or two for running European equipment.

But as Rob says, some equipment needs the right frequency - a turntable running a synchronous motor would run at the wrong speed - replace the motor, or if it has a 110v tap replace the spindle.

Edit:

Look here for wiring between two phases:

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_y...to_your_home_when_the_circuit_breaker_is_120V

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2012
    Labarum, Jul 19, 2012
  6. Levi_501

pete693

Auto Transformer

I've not seen every autotransformer there is but I've never seen one that can turn 120v into 240v.Every one that I have seen will only reduce the input voltage to something between the applied voltage and zero.
    To increase the voltage to 240v from 120v would require a step-up transformer.Or am I just getting old and totally out of touch with my memory?
    Pete.

pete693, Jul 20, 2012
  7. Levi_501

pete693

Just re-read the article(should have done that first).Never thought of using an autotransformer as a step-up device.Live and learn.
    Pete.

pete693, Jul 20, 2012
  8. Levi_501

Levi_501 Its in The Jeans...

Hello again.

After several months of research and obtaining OEM specs, I rewired the dual wound transformers.

Luckily for me, both manufacturers used dual wound transformers, thus I just had to do a bit of desoldering, rewire and resolder.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Levi_501, Jan 9, 2013
  9. Levi_501

RobHolt Moderator

Good new and thanks for reporting back on the outcome.

RobHolt, Jan 9, 2013
Ask a Question