Scottish Hi-fi shops

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Tom Alves, Dec 31, 2004.

1. Tom Alves

Tom Alves

I live near Perth and I need a decent dealer. So where's near, where's good. Aberdeen might be a tad far as are the Borders but otherwise I will travel if it's worth the trip.

Tom Alves, Dec 31, 2004
  2. Tom Alves

julian2002 Muper Soderator

tom,
    most seem to be in either edinburgh or glasgow. perhaps a bit of a weekend trip with a show and shopping thrown in for the missus would be in order?
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Dec 31, 2004
  3. Tom Alves

Tom Alves

Shopping for the Missus? :eek: but maybe a trip to the Burrell or National if I have to go that far.

Tom Alves, Dec 31, 2004
  4. Tom Alves

Sid and Coke

Looking at your equipment list Tom, Load and Clear in Glasgow might be right up your street. It is quite a large shop stocking leading brands, I've only been in there to pick up some genuine Linn oil for my LP12 bearing though. There is also Glasgow Audio on the Great Western Road. Sevenoaks Hi-Fi is also just across the road from GA and anytime i've ever popped in the staff have always been nice and friendly with no hard sell. I once got an Arcam CD player serviced/repaired via Hi-Fi Corner in Glasgow and they also seemed like a nice bunch.
    Another good thing about GA is that there is a rather neat looking Soul/Funk record shop a few hundred yards down the road on the same side, I've never ventured inside myself but it looks to be a small shop piled high with vinyl.

I normally get my LP12 serviced by Robert Richie Hi-Fi in Montrose, Angus. They stock Naim, Rotel, B&W, etc, although are no longer a Linn dealer. It is a 100 mile round trip for me but quite a nice jaunt up the coast road. looks to be quite a treck for you though if you just want to go browsing.

I've not been Hi-Fi hunting for a few years now in Edinburgh, although I have bought stuff from Hi-Fi Corner on Rose Street ( loads of Bars and resteraunts in close proximity). The Fopp shop at the bottom of the Royal Mile Hill from the Castle had a decent selection of new vinyl when i visited last year at this time and I'm planning to show them the colour of my christmas money and record tokens again on this Sunday afternoon.

I think that if i had a pocketfull of spare cash and the intention to buy something, Glasgow would be my first port of call. I think that the recent Scottish Hi-Fi show was organised by mostly Glasgow based dealers but don't quote me.

Sid and Coke, Dec 31, 2004
  5. Tom Alves

Neil

Edinburgh - walk down the road a bit from Playhouse / HiFi corner (Leith way) and try Retro Reproduction - smallish enthusiasts place with lots of new and second hand stuff - valve enthusiasts with good gear on dem and nice range of speakers (ATC to Audio Physic...). Well worth a visit..
    Neil

Neil, Dec 31, 2004
  6. Tom Alves

Gordon

Well seeing as no-one else has mentioned them....don't forget my old chums at StereoStereo in StVincent St, Glasgow. There's also a Sevenoaks opposite GA at St Georges Cross......Give them all a call and see who talks sense....

Gordon

Gordon, Jan 1, 2005
  7. Tom Alves

bottleneck talks a load of rubbish

There used to be a Naim dealership in Edinburgh, but I cant remember its name now. They also stocked Meridian and others. Anyone remember it? - it's near the post office from memory.

For high end stuff, theres Audio Salon in Glasgow. You'll see their adds allover the press, they have a website too http://www.audiosalon.co.uk/

There was also connoisseur audio in Fife, but they changed ownership and the new guy didnt seem quite as keen. The previous owner was top.

bottleneck, Jan 1, 2005
  8. Tom Alves

shrink

theres also an OK wee shop in dundee and another in montrose.. sell some good mid to high end stuff.

forget the name though.. othwerise edinburgh or glasgow both not too far from perth

i like loud and clear in both cities and stereo stereo on st vincent street glasgow.

shrink, Jan 1, 2005
  9. Tom Alves

Tom Alves

I hear a rumour that one is opening in Crieff. Apparently there's an add in Hifi Plus. Anyone know anything about it?

Tom Alves, Jan 2, 2005
  10. Tom Alves

MFSL750

Russ Andrews was the only Naim dealer in Edinburgh for ages, but Loud And Clear in Hamilton Place now stock Naim as well.

Speaking of Russ Andrews has it moved or closed down ? I drove past the other day and the shop had big 'FOR SALE' signs up :eek:

MFSL750, Jan 2, 2005
  11. Tom Alves

dunkyboy

It's a goner. :(

Dunc

dunkyboy, Jan 3, 2005
  12. Tom Alves

oh! in that case I think I might have had a meridian demo by Russ himself about 9 years ago.

How funny!

I think they were passively tri-amped with large quantities of Linn amps. Sounded really good.

bottleneck, Jan 3, 2005
  13. Tom Alves

Gordon

Don't think Russ Andrews ever did Meridian.....and Russ Andrews himself was not involved for over 20years afaik. INHIFI were the Meridian dealer in 80's and early 90's before they went out of business.

Gordon

Gordon, Jan 3, 2005
  14. Tom Alves

leonard smalls GufmeisterGeneral

I bought my pre from Audio Salon in Glasgow - spent many hours on the phone with them and they were most helpful...
    Recommended, and they've got some great deals on Bow gear...

leonard smalls, Jan 3, 2005
  15. Tom Alves

Cheers Gordon. Oh well. I liked the idea of being served by a be-spectacled mr Andrews...

bottleneck, Jan 3, 2005
Ask a Question