Searching Fader Knob

Discussion in 'Pro Audio' started by Silvano, Sep 20, 2004.

  1. Silvano

    Silvano Guest

    We are searching metallic fader knobs for a new mixing console design.
    Do you know some knob manufacturer ?

    Thanks and regards

    Silvano, Sep 20, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  2. Silvano

    Pooh Bear Guest

    There's plenty who make plastic fader knobs.

    Do you mean metal or 'metallic look' ? Neve had to have their own
    extrusion made for *real* metal fader knobs.

    Pooh Bear, Sep 20, 2004
    1. Advertisements

  3. Silvano

    Scott Dorsey Guest

    Kilo International in Provo, Utah do knobs and fader caps from anodized
    aluminum. Reasonably priced, and they will do custom shapes in small
    runs. They do most of the knobs on Collins avionics.
    Scott Dorsey, Sep 20, 2004
  4. Silvano

    Silvano Guest

    We suppose to need metal knob because we need touch sensitive fader.
    We haven't done experiment yet, but I suppose we need a conductive path
    between man finger and the chip that does touch sense.
    If you have some ideas, please let me know.

    Many thanks and regards


    Silvano, Sep 21, 2004
  5. Does it need to respond to touch, or to first movement?

    "Possibly the world's least impressive web site": George Perfect
    Laurence Payne, Sep 21, 2004
  6. Silvano

    Silvano Guest

    The system does automation value punch-in (start overwriting automation
    value) when the technician touch the knob.
    It would be possible to compare the position of the knob with the previously
    recorded value; if they are different, this means that some external force
    (technician one's) is acting on the knob.
    Suppose that the fader is flying; I need to oppose its running with force;
    the system sense a difference between ideal and real position value and stop
    the motor force and enter writing automation value.
    But what about punch out ? How can I sense when the technician release the
    knob to punch-out and glide to previously recorded value ?

    Does somebody have technical experience with touch sense ?


    Silvano, Sep 21, 2004
  7. Silvano

    Scott Dorsey Guest

    I think the cheap "metal look" ones will work too. They are plastic with
    a thin layer of chrome plating, but the plating should be conductive enough
    to work a capacitive touch sense device.
    Scott Dorsey, Sep 21, 2004
  8. Silvano

    Mike Rivers Guest

    Check with a Penny & Giles distributor. Dale Manquen
    ( handles them in the US and would be a good
    place to start if you can't find a distributor closer to you. He's
    mentioned that he carries some metal fader knobs.

    I'm really Mike Rivers ()
    However, until the spam goes away or Hell freezes over,
    lots of IP addresses are blocked from this system. If
    you e-mail me and it bounces, use your secret decoder ring
    and reach me here: double-m-eleven-double-zero at yahoo
    Mike Rivers, Sep 21, 2004
  9. Silvano

    Peter B. Guest

    I think touch sense is based on changing capacitance in some way when
    the knob is touched. To be honest, I can't remember.

    The MXR Pitch Transposer uses this to select between presets. Some of
    the old analog synths had touch keyboards. EMS and Buchla come to

    Electronotes newsletter has some information on building touch
    keyboards... both mechanical and electrical aspects. I think "Getting
    Started in Electronics" book written by Forest Mims for Radio Shack
    might have a circuit for a touch activated lamp.

    Peter B., Sep 21, 2004
  10. Silvano

    Pooh Bear Guest

    OK, I understand - that's why Neve used metal knobs too for Necam etc...
    You could use a metal plated plastic knob. I think there are some maufacturers
    doing this.

    In the UK the obvious suppliers are Re-An and Sifam.

    Pooh Bear, Sep 22, 2004
  11. Silvano

    Pooh Bear Guest

    A little bit - yes. I know the theory and have worked on touch sensitive faders
    but never had to design one from scratch.

    Pooh Bear, Sep 22, 2004
  12. Silvano

    Ben Bradley Guest

    In,, On 21 Sep 2004 11:48:58 -0700,
    There's info and circuit diagrams with descriptions of touch-sense
    circuitry somewhere on In short, it uses standard CMOS 4000
    series circuitry and a few caps, diodes and resistors to make an
    oscillator in the 100kHz range, and sends that through a resistance to
    the touch pad to sense the increase in capacitance when a finger
    connected to a human body (about 100pF) touches it. There are probably
    a couple of variations on how it's done.
    Touch-sense must have been the "in" thing at the time...
    Ben Bradley, Sep 24, 2004
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.