Second hand

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by amir, Jun 15, 2004.

1. amir

amir

Hi guys
    I and my friend went for listenning to a secondhand krell kav 250p/250a.
    system was :
    audiolab cdplayer
    dynaudio audience 82
    monster cable

Sound was under krell standard and it's ability in driving my speaker was bad. we turn up volume but krell could not load my speakers it was like a 70 watt/ch amplifier. I confused and i told to my friend maybe this amplifier have problem but my friend told me maybe this amplifier did not work and it did not spend breakin time. he told me every new amplifier need 100 hrs for giving it's real power and a new 250w/ch amplifier sound like 70w/ch amplifier during first 50 hrs running.

But now i can not undrestand what's correct, secondhand amplifier is safe or it have problem in it's circuit?!

can you help me?

Thanks

amir, Jun 15, 2004
  2. amir

Thom PC

second hand amplifier

I would say it is next to impossible to answer your question. The amplifier you heard may have been OK, but for some reason (setup, partnering equipment) did not live up to its best. On the other hand it may have been damaged somehow or not working properly. There really is no way of telling on the basis of your post.

With regards to the question of 70 W vs. 250 W, of course a 250 W amp should be more powerful than a 70 W amp - but there actually is no guarantee that the more powerful amp will be better - especially if you don't account for system matching and personal preferences.

My advice: You weren't satisfied with what you heard - don't buy.

Best,
    Thom

Thom PC, Jun 15, 2004
  3. amir

amir

Is it possible that an damaged 250w/ch amplifier sound like 60w/ch amp?

I think that amplifier is safe

amir, Jun 15, 2004
  4. amir

Tenson Moderator

I agree with Thom, don't buy it if it didn't sound right.

In general running in on electronics is reasonably subtle compared to something like speakers, so I don't think it would simply be running in if it really did not drive the speakers properly.

There are plenty of other amps on the s/h market. Check out Bryston :cool:

Tenson, Jun 15, 2004
  5. amir

amir

Thanks

amir, Jun 16, 2004
Ask a Question