secret rant....

Discussion in 'General Music' started by julian2002, Oct 15, 2003.

1. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

why do bands insist on being clever and hide music at track 99 or after a track of 20 minutes of silence? is it some sort of 'creative' thing which i don;t get or is it a longing for the days when they could hide devil worship in backwards tracks? perhaps they are contractually obliged to provide 8 tracks on an album but only have 7 decent ones so they hide the last one? whatever it's a crap idea which should be nipped in the bud by dropping offending bands into a tank full of rabid sharks.
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Oct 15, 2003
  2. julian2002

merlin

Julian, I beleive it was introduced to aid Naim owners by giving their ears a chance to recover prior to the delivery of the band's piece de resistance!

When you coming over BTW

merlin, Oct 15, 2003
  3. julian2002

julian2002 Muper Soderator

merlin,
    :ffrc: :ffrc: :ffrc: :ffrc: :ffrc: :ffrc:
    oh look there go my testicles....

you have pm....
    cheers

julian

julian2002, Oct 15, 2003
  4. julian2002

MO! MOnkey`ead!

LMAO!

Not only do they hide them at the end, some also try and be a little MOre clever! One of the Ash :eek: albums used to have a phone number which you had to ring for instructions on finding it. There was a recorded message by a band member telling you how you needed to REWIND beyond the first track to find it. I believe some copies of 2Many Djs does this too (minus phone call).

Some *hidden* tracks aint too bad! Lamb have stuck one on all three albums IIRC!

MO!, Oct 15, 2003
  5. julian2002

domfjbrown live & breathe psy-trance

Blur's "Think Tank" (well, the book version I have) also has a track before track one - back-cueing is the only way to get to it.

domfjbrown, Oct 15, 2003
  6. julian2002

My name is Ron It is, it really is

Yes, and in stark contrast to the rest of the album, it is dreadful. Really, if these songs weren't good enough to make the final cut proper, why bother us with them? Even the one found on PJ Harvey's otherwise magnificent Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea is a sorry waste of space.

And how many times have I listened to the end of a CD, remained sitting to savour the space previously inhabited by the music (or finish reading the newspaper) only to be blasted out of my seat by the sheer shock of the CDP coming across that hidden track. At least with Blur it's an 'opt in' feature.

My name is Ron, Oct 15, 2003
  7. julian2002

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Would you be refering to the hidden tracks on Nevermind and In Utero by any chance? :D

MO!, Oct 16, 2003
  8. julian2002

mr cat Member of the month

yeah, I've noticed them mainly when I've had quite a few tokes and haven't been able to move to change over the CD...otherwise when a cd is supposed to finish I just get up and change it...:MILD:

mr cat, Oct 16, 2003
  9. julian2002

michaelab desafinado

The album "Kerosene Hat" by "Cracker" had a wicked song on it called "Eurotrash Girl" and that was really the only song I wanted when I got the album. It had also had massive airplay on the radio (in the US where I was living at the time) and was basically the only song that anyone knew by the band.

On the album it's not even listed on the cover so if you didn't know you would never have bought it (bad commercial move) - it's at track 69 (ohh err ;) ). The album then has songs on tracks 77,88 and 99 aswell.

Will have to check out that Blur "Think Tank" track, how did you ever find out it existed?

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 16, 2003
  10. julian2002

andy c! Z Cars Rule!

The reason they do this is to try and thwart copying...
    people used to use 74 minute cd-r's but now they use 80 miunte ones...
    One could suggest a hypothetical way of dealing with long lead outs could be to edit the track in soundforge :SCIDB:

andy c!, Oct 17, 2003
  11. julian2002

I honestly can't remember - I read about it somewhere I think. Mind you, if you listen to the player spinning up, you'd theoretically hear it seeking for slightly longer to find track 1 (due to the hidden one being between TOC and 1).

Those hidden tracks on Nevermind and In Utero are fairly pants - did they make it to the Simply Vinyl reissues???

There's a hidden track on (I think) The Music's album on vinyl - certainly on one LP I bought recently and that one would fit the timing of it in my memory.

Also - what's on side F on the Massive Attack 100th Window LP??? I daren't try playing it as I don't want to write off another cartridge, but it appears to have grooves on it...

domfjbrown, Oct 20, 2003
  12. julian2002

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

How many tracks did you say were on Side E? I can't remember. Amazon points to the 3rd LP having Antistar and Hidden Track as the contents of disc 3.

ilockyer, Oct 20, 2003
  13. julian2002

1 track on E I believe - so maybe F is the hidden track - not very well hidden if you ask me.

Now "Pop music" by whoever it was - my old boss has this and the record has 2 seperate grooves on side A, so you get 2 different songs, depending on where the needle drops - I thought that was pretty cool.

The Levellers' Levellers album has a hidden track at the end on CD as well - and as per usual, it's shite. (the hidden track - not the Levellers - I like them!)

domfjbrown, Oct 20, 2003
  14. julian2002

michaelab desafinado

How can you have a "hidden" track on Vinyl? :D

Michael.

michaelab, Oct 20, 2003
  15. julian2002

You can't - unless you're one of these dimebars who doesn't know how to cue up tracks :)

domfjbrown, Oct 21, 2003
  16. julian2002

ilockyer rockin' in the free world

So, was there anything on Side F?

ilockyer, Oct 21, 2003
  17. julian2002

Not had chance to try yet - too busy listening to Nirvana Unplugged in New York on Simply Vinyl = Simply Stunning - blinding dude. HMV still have one copy left :)

Won't be able to tonight either - got to try out Henryt's power cords and go to Mip's house...

domfjbrown, Oct 21, 2003
Ask a Question