Sexy DIY Speakers

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by MO!, Apr 9, 2007.

1. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Oxymoron or are there any out there?

Just contemplating my future speaker upgrade options and I'm tempted by going DIY, but I'd like something good on the eye and different from a simple box cabinet and in real wood. I'd thought about the possibility of making something using tree trunks. Then realised I've zero wood working skills :)

MO!, Apr 9, 2007
  2. MO!

Tenson Moderator

Have a read of my posts to 4WD in this thread - https://www.audio-forums.com/as-rediect/showthread.php?t=15639

Consider that the baffle material can be almost anything.

I think the idea with a Behringer active xover, Supravox open baffle 12" and the Hi-Vi tweeter would be awesome.

I also have another speaker in the process at the moment that I will share the plans for shortly but it is a box speaker - not completely normal though, very easy to build in terms of both the box and crossover and its coaxial and only costs around £300 in parts.

Tenson, Apr 9, 2007
  3. MO!

sq225917 Exposer of Foo

i fancy making something like the Ascendos, they look nice and sound very nice.

sq225917, Apr 10, 2007
  4. MO!

Tenson Moderator

;)

Tenson, Apr 10, 2007
  5. MO!

ShinOBIWAN

I can't say as I've seen a 'sexy' speaker, DIY or otherwise. Most are either butch, utilitarian or cute.

I'd stick with something easy for my first build so Tenson' suggestions are useful, especially that Seas coaxial. I haven't heard the Ascendo, a commercial design featuring this driver, but looking at the philosophy and attention to detail, I'd expect nothing less than a good sounding speaker.

They also look great with clean lines and non fussy finishes:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

If you want butch and zero WAF then you could always build something like these:

(My apologies to Simon C and Simon A, they've seen more than enough of these but I couldn't resist :D)

[​IMG]

ShinOBIWAN, Apr 11, 2007
  6. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Yummy! Are they something that you're making?

Ok, maybe sexy is a poor choice. How about Shexshy?

Well, it's MOre interesting and something a bit different and unique I'm interested in.

MO!, Apr 11, 2007
  7. MO!

mr cat Member of the month

mr cat, Apr 11, 2007
  8. MO!

Dev Moderator

Good work there ShinOBIWAN.

Dev, Apr 11, 2007
  9. MO!

zanash

stunning !

zanash, Apr 11, 2007
  10. MO!

Andy registered grazer

:eek: legend!
    They make my little subs look pathetic Shin.
    Do you have a background in woodworking or did you teach yourself?

Andy, Apr 11, 2007
  11. MO!

ShinOBIWAN

Thanks fellas.

Andy, I just kept cutting wood until something good happened. I've been messing around with this stuff on and off ever since I got my driving license about 10 years ago. It all started with building car subwoofers and just went from there. I'm not a brilliant woodworker but I don't think you really need to be, the important thing is to very thoroughly plan any project. That includes exactly how things will fit together using skills and tools you know you have.

MO, have you considered looking at commercial designs and just taking bits that appeal to you and them rolling them into something unique that works for you? That's pretty much what I do, its tough to come up with something that's never been done before but its easy to copy and roll design elements from others into your design.

ShinOBIWAN, Apr 11, 2007
  12. MO!

Knightshade

I don't know how relevent this is but to help in the design stages this is a really useful tool. Takes a bit of mastering but it's free and surprisingly powerful.

Knightshade, Apr 12, 2007
  13. MO!

Tenson Moderator

MO you might like to look at my recent thread in here.

Tenson, Apr 13, 2007
  14. MO!

sideshowbob Trisha

15. MO!

Tenson Moderator

Ian,

Having looked through that thread just now, the foam looks like reconstituted sort, and that is usually closed cell. Closed cell does not absorb sound. You might like to just tare a little bit off and see if it absorbs water like a sponge. If it does, thats good. If not, you should try replacing it with proper foam. I know you will probably say you like them how they are but if it is the wrong sort of foam it might be able to sound even better with the right sort!

Tenson, Apr 13, 2007
  16. MO!

sideshowbob Trisha

Simon, you read my mind :)

Did you ever play with the Jordan drivers btw? IIRC you built something with Mangers, be interested in any comparisons.

-- Ian

sideshowbob, Apr 13, 2007
  17. MO!

Tenson Moderator

I haven't tried Jordans. I have used the Mangers and also the 3" Tangband, which is kind of similar to the small Jordan.

My main issue with the Manger is that it didn't have wide enough dispersion in the highs and the rising harmonic distortion below about 800Hz gave a slight colourdness which showed itself after prolonged exposure.

Actually, everything with the Manger was only an issue after long listening with it. It just didn't excite, even though it is pretty dynamic.

I designed a phase plug which improved the off-axis of the Manger at in the highs but never really tried it beyond a few trial tests with measurements. I'm sure it would have helped, just not enough to make me keep them. I posted the design for the phase plug on DIY Audio.

The Manger beams less than most full range drivers so I doubt I would get on at all well with a full range like yours. I think the coaxials I just built are a good halfway house, with a first order Xover and the drivers one inside the other you really can’t hear the Xover very easily but you get low distortion, deep bass and sweet airy highs.

Tenson, Apr 14, 2007
  18. MO!

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Right then, having just spotted the JaMO Ref 909 mentioned elsewhere, they look stunning!

Can anyone point me towards some good general reading about open baffle?

MO!, May 7, 2007
  19. MO!

Tenson Moderator

Tenson, May 7, 2007
  20. MO!

The Shadow

Check these out.
    They use the Hemp Acoustics fr8 driver.
    Built by Lousymusician on the DIYAudio forum.

[​IMG]

Nice
    Steve

The Shadow, May 13, 2007
Ask a Question