Sexy DIY Speakers

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by MO!, Apr 9, 2007.

1. MO!

dean.l

I know I am going against everyones better judgment and I am fully expecting to have to mess about with it a lot, but it is only a bit of fun really, I like the look of the monsters I have built, and I like the idea of simplicity, (having no crossover)
    I have read a few blogs online about people preferring a sealed enclosure to a horn loaded one with the fostex, but they nearly all use a sub woofer and super tweeters, I have the latter, and I live in a flat, so bass is not really welcomed by the neighbors :) I just want it louder than it is now and better imaging, hence the massive baffle and the big box to hopefully get some spl.
    so really there is some sense to the design, flawed on purpose if you like, I knew the bass would be poor (compared to most) but thats the way it has to be, there is more than enough for me now
    with an AP 210 Z0 audax in there, (my amp hardly moves it at all) so with the fostex in there it should move around a bit more freely
    and sound more natural, it sounds similar to my old esl 57's at the moment, if I close my eyes I can't hear where the sound is coming from directional wise, and the imaging is really good, also there is no boxiness at all due to the curves and sound deadening mat, I tried filling the box with mineral wool and it killed the sound, I think the box is pretty dead anyway due to it being nearly 40mm thick in most places, I made a box then made another one round it, all glued and screwed and pinned, I used a 4 ins paint brush for the litre of pva I slapped on it, so it should be sealed very well :)

cheers for everybody's advise, I will get back to you when the drivers arrive.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2007
    dean.l, May 19, 2007
  2. MO!

zanash

hope your right ...but sealed cabinets with the fostex would not be my first choice....

I would also take issue with the box or horn quote.....is that why there are many hi end horn designs ?

but as you say ..a bit of fun ....hope it works out !

zanash, May 19, 2007
  3. MO!

dean.l

dean.l, May 19, 2007
  4. MO!

ShinOBIWAN

Never used them but I've heard that they can be made to sound pretty good considering the price of them.

I'm still waiting for someone to try these:

http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/thiel_en.htm

Not exactly cheap at £1k a pair though.

Apparently its very good in these:

http://www.lautsprechershop.de/hifi/cumulus_horn_en.htm

ShinOBIWAN, May 19, 2007
  5. MO!

dean.l

I would consider them but they are not efficient enough for me.

how much are the b200's ? I can't seem to find anything on them price wise.

dean.l, May 19, 2007
  6. MO!

ShinOBIWAN

ShinOBIWAN, May 19, 2007
  7. MO!

Jimbo

You are in the same boat as me dean.I as i have looked at all the drivers and speakers you have mentioned. If i could listen to them all then great. There's so many designs and configerations its baffling, excuse the pun. Jim.

Jimbo, May 19, 2007
  8. MO!

ShinOBIWAN

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ShinOBIWAN, May 20, 2007
  9. MO!

zanash

zanash, May 20, 2007
  10. MO!

dean.l

I think I will actually go for the b200 to start with as it looks more forgiving for box size etc which I worked out to actually be nearer 107 litres :)

what design of box are you using ?

I will hopefully be getting the drivers by the end of the week I will keep you all updated. :)

ps this is now a final decision, :) I think the fostex units have too many things that just don't fit, for what I am doing, which will ruin my original plan of keeping things simple.

dean.l, May 20, 2007
  11. MO!

dean.l

they are really starting to look nice now, :cool: how long till completion?

have you heard them yet?

dean.l, May 20, 2007
  12. MO!

ShinOBIWAN

A couple of months to finish them, this one isn't far off but the other is in pretty early state.

Haven't heard them yet, well that's not strictly true. I've heard the drivers working in open baffles evaluating but not in the final configuration.

ShinOBIWAN, May 20, 2007
  13. MO!

Tenson Moderator

Dean, in the vein of keeping things simple, but less compromised you might like to consider the Jordan JXR6 nearly full range 2" driver pair to a nice woofer that suits your cabinet and then a 1st order crossover at something like 800Hz.

I'm just not a fan of most full range drivers due to their high distortion and complete lack of air.

Tenson, May 21, 2007
  14. MO!

melorib Lowrider

I dont think all full-range drivers are as you say... :confused:

Not DIY, but easy to do something similar...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

melorib, May 21, 2007
  15. MO!

dean.l

I like those :)

the baffle has given me an idea for mine, well i'm going to blatantly copy it :)

I have now ordered the b200's and some wooden phase plugs, has anybody got any idea how to fit them :)
    I think they just have screws in them so they stick to the magnets, do you have to seal the vent or will removing the dust caps be ok ?

or is it better to just leave them in there? and not bother with the plugs?

apparently it helps with the distortion in the mids.

dean.l, May 21, 2007
  16. MO!

Jimbo

Have you tried the diy audio forums? A lot of knowledgable builders on there and will help with the phase plugs. Sorry if its mentioned in this thread i have not read it all. Jim.

Jimbo, May 21, 2007
  17. MO!

Tenson Moderator

Tenson, May 23, 2007
  18. MO!

Jimbo

Looks interesting. Is that each or the pair? All thats needed now is a cab design, and i take it no cross-over needed. Is this Volts first fullrange or have they done them before?

Jimbo, May 23, 2007
  19. MO!

Jimbo

Jimbo, May 23, 2007
  20. MO!

Tenson Moderator

Price will be each driver. It has a built-in Xover so you just need a cabinet. Volt have made coaxial PA drivers before but usually with a compression driver for tweeter.

Tenson, May 23, 2007
Ask a Question