Sexy DIY Speakers

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by MO!, Apr 9, 2007.

1. MO!

dean.l

I just had an email, the drivers will be here tomorrow, so I will post my findings, I also took delivery of some beech veneer (on the roll felt backed ) any idea if spray glue will be strong enough to stick it ?
    it is supposedly industrial strength.
    I will post pics of the finished "logs" asap :)

dean.l, Jun 7, 2007
  2. MO!

ShinOBIWAN

Thats good news about the drivers. Not sure on the glue though, personally I'd use contact cement, this one works particularly well creating an extremely strong bond:

http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=2561

Its also a low VOC formula that doesn't soak into veneers or react with finishes.

ShinOBIWAN, Jun 7, 2007
  3. MO!

dean.l

I have received the drivers, and I am impressed, the build quality is excellent.

I thought at first they sounded harsh and very bass light, so I hooked them up to an old aurex transistor amp, and played the prodigy on repeat for about 8 hours as loud as possible :)

they have loosened right up and they can easily reach a decent spl level at about 3/4 volume with my amps, with decent bass, not earth shaking but it is there, and it sounds very controlled and tight, better than most stand mounters I have heard.

they still sounded a bit lacking in the treble department, so I wouldn't use them without a supertweeter, but they pretty much do what they say they do, amazing for the price I think.

I cut the dust caps out after a few hours and added the phase plugs, they make a subtle difference, they add to the imaging and the bass seems tighter, so worth a try if you are thinking of using them.

all in all I am happy with them, but I couldn't recommend them fully as a single driver solution. so unless you are prepared to use a very large cabinet or add a sub then you will loose bass and some treble, but do sound pretty good still.

I recommend using supertweeters with a 1 uf cap to start with.

so no they are not full range but pretty close,(the bass goes pretty low surprisingly) and sounds better than my old speakers, 3way aerogel aurex drivers in a fairly large sealed box.
    there is only a 1uf cap for a crossover, so I have nearly achieved my goal of high sensitivity no crossover, and simplicity.

dean.l, Jun 9, 2007
  4. MO!

Tenson Moderator

Those areogel Auralex drivers should sound pretty good if used correctly.

Glad you are getting on well with the speakers.

Tenson, Jun 9, 2007
  5. MO!

dean.l

they do, but the b200 sounds better, (in my system)
    the box is probably 2.5 times the size mind, so if you look at it like that then I suppose they are not that efficient :)

cheers for all the help and suggestions people.

I will do some proper photo's soon.

dean.l, Jun 9, 2007
  6. MO!

technobear Ursine Audiophile

Give them time. Eight hours is nowhere near enough.

Try 500 hours then see if you want a supertweeter :)

technobear, Jun 13, 2007
  7. MO!

dean.l

right I have had these speakers on every day for approximately 6 hours. (I have no tv or wife) :)
    and yes they do get better with age in fact they are like a different speaker, I have a 12 inch subwoofer with a 300watt amp on it in my car and these things come very close bass wise,
    which I cant really explain as they don't move much, it must just be the size of the box.

I have had to move them away from the wall as they rattle the room
    (and I have an acoustic floor installed) so I don't think it is bouncing.
    and I had the audax 8 inch aerogel speakers in exactly the same room, with less bass?

if anybody is looking for a single driver solution I can recommend the visaton's in the sealed enclosures, (100L) or for that matter o/b (less bass,faster sounding) which I tried too, in short these drivers are amazing, they just need a good run in, as they sound totally different when they are.

I have not got round to finishing them properly yet so they look like mdf logs still, I will post some pics soon. :)

ps I still have the supertweeters.
    I might not need them but they sound better to me. :)

dean.l, Jul 19, 2007
  8. MO!

melorib Lowrider

Great, hurry up with the pictures...

melorib, Jul 20, 2007
Ask a Question