Shanling CD/SACD players going cheap!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi and General Audio' started by Matt F, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Matt F

Matt F

Picking up from the other thread - had a quick look on ebay and came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3272&item=3837020060&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

The CDT200 (CD & SACD player) for £899 whereas you're looking at £2150 from a UK dealer.

It looks as though they ship them directly from China but they don't mention anything about voltage issues or import taxes which I guess could be an issue.

Maybe it's a case of "If it looks too good to be true...."

Matt.

Matt F, Sep 2, 2004
  2. Matt F

penance Arrogant Cock

Matt,
    I imagine the voltage may be relativly easy to sort.
    But i would check import etc, although still likely to come in under £2150.

btw, how are you getting on with the bel canto?

penance, Sep 2, 2004
  3. Matt F

analoguekid Planet Rush

Matt there are voltage issues as Andy states but they are easy to sort, the only probs are if you have a problem as UK dealers won't touch them, other than that, they are fine, think del and duty adds about 300-400 gbp.

analoguekid, Sep 2, 2004
  4. Matt F

Matt F

I'm not at the moment as I haven't got the CD player yet. The only slight issue I have with it is how to make the (corner) shelf strong enough to cope with it's substantial weight!

Thanks for the comments from both of you on the Chinese imports - I think, when you take import duty and potential repair issues into account, buying through a UK dealer offering IFC starts to look like the better option. Need to see if there are any Shanling dealers in the South West really.

Matt.

Matt F, Sep 2, 2004
  5. Matt F

analoguekid Planet Rush

analoguekid, Sep 2, 2004
  6. Matt F

Legzr1

Oh,you mean this bit of scare-mongering ; a blatant attempt at protecting massive dealer margins ? :D

"
    Warning for Shanling Customers
    Shanling does not approve of any discount online websites or auction sites offering our products. These units are often of dubious origin and can be second-hand, older models or do not match the local voltage/safety requirements of your country.

By buying a Shanling product from an unauthorized Shanling dealer, retailer, mail-order outlet or Internet site, you will void your warranty and you are likely to receive goods that are not in keeping with Shanling's high standards. Shanling will not service or provide support for any units of these origins or where the serial number has been tampered with.

Shanling is a high-end quality product and is sold only through reputable dealers with the product knowledge and back-up service.
    Safeguard your warranty and peace of mind and buy only from an authorized dealer. By buying Shanling hifi only in your country you will be assured of a product that meets the local safety standards and has service backup. "

I've looked into this and i'm seriosly considering it.
    Voltage issues? - go for a 220v version.Any decent PSU is designed to work within + / - 10%.
    Warranty problems? - There's an Ebay dealer with Sheffield connections.He exports from Hong Kong and offers back-up from a dealer in the Sheffield area,1 year parts + labour.
    Duty + postage? - Looks like around half of all private individuals get stung with duty,which is around 18% of the TOTAL including postage.Postage rates vary.The average price of a SACD Tube player,including all fees,duty + postage comes in around £1300.

Quite a saving I think.

Legzr1, Sep 2, 2004
  7. Matt F

analoguekid Planet Rush

I think you are correct legrz, Shanling prolly don't give a toss where you buy it and this is put on the website to keep dealers/distributors happy, be good if you are one of them that don't get duty, less than half price, WOW, for that money it's a stunning player.

analoguekid, Sep 2, 2004
  8. Matt F

Legzr1

There are a couple of legal-ish ;) ways of avoiding duty.
    One is to ask the sender to mark the box as 'Warranty replacement' - a bit risky as if you're caught this could be deemed as tax Evasion !
    The other,which I have used for motorcycle parts,is to get the sender to value the goods at less than $30 and write 'Happy birthday' on the box - this is even riskier as the insurance is linked to the declared value - worth it on a Dynojet PCIII worth about $300 but i'm not keen when the value is $3000 !
    Even with all duties + legalities sorted,you're talking about a player with very good credentials for the price of a Marantz CD17 KI...gotta be worthwhile (yes,i'm convincing myself here )

Legzr1, Sep 2, 2004
  9. Matt F

analoguekid Planet Rush

Happy Birthday and £300 pound saving. Most of these only really work if you buy s/h as most manufacturers and distributors are unlikely to cheat in such a way, maybe one or two will but most won't i believe, but if you want one then go on treat yourself, assuming you have listened to one, I have and while nice they are not for me, don't go on specs alone.

analoguekid, Sep 2, 2004
  10. Matt F

Legzr1

PM sent :)

Legzr1, Sep 2, 2004
  11. Matt F

analoguekid Planet Rush

analoguekid, Sep 2, 2004
  12. Matt F

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Folks - I bought my SCD-T200C direct from china through an ad on ebay. See my review in the review section. No problems whatsoever with the purchase, got it within 2 weeks. I've now had it for 6 weeks or so, no problems to report, its been on almost constantly since then and I think the voltage issue alluded to earlier is a scare story put about by Uk distributor and dealers. Including customs and VAT I paid £1061 for it..... less than 50% of UK retail.

I am very happy with the player - its probably not the last word on CD replay and there are £1500 CD only players that probably beat it, but on 2-channel SACD its a killer!

I have heard a rumour that the Shanling CDT-100C CD only player is in fact the same machine inside as the Quad 99CD-P, with the tube output stage and headphone amp added, and made in same factory. Not sure if there is any truth in this.

alanbeeb, Sep 2, 2004
Ask a Question