Shed alarms - Not sure what to get or how much to spend

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amazingtrade, Jun 11, 2006.

1. amazingtrade

amazingtrade Mad Madchestoh fan

I am in the long and tedious process of converting this into an office.

I need a little workshop for testing PCs and messing about with different operating systems, I currently have bits of PC all over the house and I want to house them all in the shed.

I also intend to setup a web server in there.

This week I intend to fix the ceiling and put a ring main in there (currently it only has a lighting circuit).

However one big concern is security, I have looked at the cheap shed alarms but they all seem pointless, however getting a proper control box will be expensive by the time you buy the PIR, bell box and backup battery.

Does anybody know how useful those £40 Micromark alarms are from Argos? They seem to come with a bell box, control panal, backup battery and PIR but it seems too cheap?

I was also looking at this but it seems a bit too easy to break?

http://www.fitwears.co.uk/module-outlet-kit/92633.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2007
    amazingtrade, Jun 11, 2006
  2. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

Before you touch that ceiling AT, it looks like it might be asbestos. I can't tell from the picture. If you even think it might be dont.

lordsummit, Jun 12, 2006
  3. amazingtrade

The house was built in 1906, it appears to be the original ceiling and it smells of horse crap, I think they just got lots of pits of crap as it didn't matter in the shed.

When you touch it breaks into lots of tiny pieces which abestos would not do.

I've seen a Response alarm from Ebay for £20, its still basic but it has a proper control panal and backup battery so it will do the job.

Edit you have me a little worried now, did they use asbestos in buildings last 100 years ago? I have already removed a tiny bit of it last night to work out where to bring the mains cable in.

It looks like it is a possibility so I have decided not to touch this ceiling and lower it by using cardboard.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2006
    amazingtrade, Jun 12, 2006
  4. amazingtrade

Tenson Moderator

If you are just going to 'cover it up' it would look a lot nicer to use plasterboard. Just get some 2x1" pine, fix some strips of it across the short way of the ceiling by securing it at the wall at each end (place them every 2ft or 3ft) and screw some plasterboard into that. It looks pretty small, could it be done from one sheet of plasterboard?

Tenson, Jun 12, 2006
  5. amazingtrade

penance Arrogant Cock

Yes it would, if old enough.

penance, Jun 12, 2006
  6. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

That's prime asbestos behaviour. That's how it winds up in your lungs. It's found in old houses. Don't touch it until you've got it checked.

lordsummit, Jun 12, 2006
  7. amazingtrade

I already have a bit of sweeping up to as bits of ceiling fell in as I was putting the wire though. I guess a tiny bit won't do any harm, I mean the people building these houses didn't all drop down dead, although I guess the point that is that these people were touching it all day.

I shall buy one of them masks which should help a bit. There is only really a tiny amount of dust.

8. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

It only takes a little bit. One particle......

Asbestos shouldn't be messed with, I had relatives who worked for Turners who died very nasty deaths

lordsummit, Jun 12, 2006
  9. amazingtrade

mr cat Member of the month

hmmyou come on here asking for advice then ignore some serious advice...sigh...

I can just see it several years down the line - you'll start a thread moaning about had bad you feel.... ;)

mr cat, Jun 12, 2006
  10. amazingtrade

Why I am ignoring advice? I was going to remove it but I am leaving it there now, I am just going to build a frame and cover it all up so I won't be exposed to it.

11. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

Probably about 30 when the mesothelioma kicks in.

Read this site AT, and you'll understand why we counsel such caution.

http://www.mesolink.org/

A girl I used to go out with recently lost both parents to this disease, his contact with it was teaching in a room that had an asbestos ceiling. His wife worked at Turners for a short period one summer.

If you even supect something may be asbestos ring up the council and ask them to look, don't drill, scrape or even touch. Covering it up won't work even with cardboard:confused:

The building inspectors will come and look I'm sure.

I am serious. I've seen too many people suffer because of it and I hate to think someone else could

lordsummit, Jun 12, 2006
  12. amazingtrade

Well if it is is Asbestos its too late now :( And we probably all been exposed to it over the years as the ceiling crumbeled away.

Its sods law you embark on a fairly simple DIY task and end up having to get the inspectors round :).

I am actually worried now becuase its too late if I have had any exposure, but like any cancers the more you are exposed the greater the risk.

I better tell the my parents and phone the council. If it is asbestos how much will the they charge to clear it? I am guessing it will cost a lot of money :(

Which means the shed will just have to closed.

13. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

It's only to make sure, and better safe than sorry. Your pictures unclear, but it looks like a plaster and lathe ceiling, and it's flakey, that rings alarm bells.

lordsummit, Jun 12, 2006
  14. amazingtrade

MO! MOnkey`ead!

MO!, Jun 12, 2006
  15. amazingtrade

MO! MOnkey`ead!

Or, better still! Why not put a sign on the door saying "Asbestos Hazard Zone - Do Not Enter!!!"

That'll should keep any would be thiefs out :)

MO!, Jun 12, 2006
  16. amazingtrade

I just assumed it was a plaster and lathe. I have just tried phoning the council but no answer, I try again later after work.

Is this picture any clearer? I realise its impossible to tell over the internet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2007
  17. amazingtrade

lordsummit moderate mod

Trouble is they mixed it up in the plaster, and you can't tell unless it's checked properly.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

lordsummit, Jun 12, 2006
  18. amazingtrade

19. amazingtrade

la toilette Downright stupid

Was asbestos used in houses as early as 1906? I've not heard of it being mixed up in lathe and plaster before, but maybe it can be?! I don't think you can really tell from it being flakey and crumbly, as old plaster tends to get like that with age anyway, especially if it's suffered from damp at any point in the past. As for crap it it - quite possibly, certainly horse hair and any vaguely appropriate fine aggregate that was to hand.

Anyway, sound advice already, you HAVE to check it out if there's any possibility......

One other thought, would a high visibility alarm on a shed attract more attention from potential thieves? - would you be better ensuring that the structure (esp the door/window frames) are strong, and go for discrete but high quality locks? I would keep things low key to avoid highlighting the fact that you have valuables in there.

la toilette, Jun 12, 2006
  20. amazingtrade

With regard to alarm I have already thought of that, so there will not be a visiable bell box for that reason :)

The link I got from Croydon council said it wasn't used in houses before 1930, and this was built 24 years before then.

I am pretty sure it is just plaster and lathe but its better to be safe than sorry. The council have still not answered the phones :(.

With regards to horse hair when he renovated the bathroom we discovered an awful lot of that mixed with the plaster.

Ask a Question