Shielded cable

Discussion in 'DIY Discussion' started by GAZZ, Aug 3, 2003.

1. GAZZ

GAZZ

Having made all the twisted snake main leads i need, and having tried the rest of the left over cable as speaker cable which i found poor. I was wondering if there is anything else i can try with this cable? I have about 15m in total

GAZZ

GAZZ, Aug 3, 2003
  2. GAZZ

zanash

I've made extension blocks, single length of cable to double plug [3 pin] faces and back boxes, wiring the internals with stripped three core.

How did you find the sound of the TTS and what gauge did you use ?[I know what they sound like in my system it was for the others!]

zanash, Aug 3, 2003
  3. GAZZ

GAZZ

I have a Lynwood mains cleaner/ power supply, do you think i should put a TTS as its main cable?

I wrote a review on the TTS on the Groovehandle site, i'll try and find it on my computer.

I used 1.5mm shielded with Mk tough plug.

The first one i made the braid wasn't tight enough, which is where i think most people go wrong.

As i said i'll try and find the review and post it tomorrow Zanash.

GAZZ

GAZZ, Aug 3, 2003
  4. GAZZ

zanash

I've a lynwood too.

No don't put the cable before the lynwood, I use them to feed an extension block and then to feed each indvidual piece of gear.

I noticed the increase in dynamics and depth of soundstage as the greatest improvments, but I think there are gains throughout the audio chain.

zanash, Aug 4, 2003
  5. GAZZ

GAZZ

TTS mains cable

The Twisted snake mains cable

21/0/03

Parts

3m SY control cable 1mm (kindly donated by THEMADHIPPY)
    1 Plug
    1IEC socket
    Insulation tape

Tools

Wire cutters
    2 screwdrivers flat + Philips

Having read about the good results of the tts mains cable. I thought I would have a go at making one. The first problem was getting hold of some cable. As I rang + searched on the Internet I realised I would have to buy at least 50m of cable costing from £40 up. (to much for a diy job I wasn't sure about). I was just about to give up when themadhippy came to the rescue.

Assembly

Reading all the reports on Groovehandle I was expecting a struggle to put the tts together, that was not the case. I realise that I was only using 1mm cable so the job was a lot easier. Using 2.5mm cable could be a nightmare, so we won't go there. The job took me about 1 ½ hours in total (having all the parts off cause). The only problem I had was connecting the IEC socket, which I have never done before. I didn't use a solder-iron. I would think soldering the terminals in the IEC socket would be easier than screwing the wires in (if this is so let me know).

The Results

Hifi

CD Player :- Arcam 7se used as transport
    Tag DAC20

Amp :- Nad 340

Speakers :- B&W 601s2

I also have a Lynwood Power supply/filter, note I use this because the house has a dirty mains supply. Even so I find it does increases the performance of the HIFI.

Now I have not tried it on the amp as the mains lead goes into the unit, thus making it hard to change + make comparisons.

So it is down to the Transport and dac. First off I tried it on the transport. I found the sound clearer, with more depth. There is an improvement in the separation of instruments (As my wife said the guitars sound better and the notes seem longer).

Now for the dac. I was not expecting much here but I was surprised at the improvement. The sound was faster, however not in a negative way, meaning the notes are sharper with more detail. I was hearing sounds and notes not heard before.

Conclusion

I Have ordered some cable 1.5mm and will make up the TTS as soon as possible.
    The TNT Twisted Snake Mains Cable has made a big improvement to my HIFI, I will be ordering some cable and making one for the dac. I will make one for the amp when I take a look into the nad 340, to see where the mains cable is connected.

GAZZ

GAZZ, Aug 4, 2003
  6. GAZZ

GAZZ

THE TNT TTS DIY FOLLOW UP

09/04/03

Following the completion of the twisted snake to my Nad 340 amp, I can now add to my first report.

Having had very positive results with the Twisted Snake mains cables, on my cd player and dac. I made a cable for my amp; the problem with the amp was that there was no female IEC connection. So I had to connect the TTS straight into the amp.

The Results

The first result was plainly obvious; the volume was louder when the volume was set at the same position. So I sat down and listened. After a few seconds, I noticed the bass had more depth and punch, there was an increase in sound staging with greater separation of instruments.

I sat back, closed my eyes. The timing was better, I found myself tapping my foot to tracks that I haven't before.

Conclusion

The TNT TTS, diy project was worth the time and the money. Anybody who has a limited amount of electrical knowledge can make this mains cable (if I can anyone can). The cost is cheap compared to pre-assembled cables, and in my opinion a lot better than the ones I have tried in the past (Russ Andrews and Black Rhodium). The cost per cable was as follows.

Cable £0.94 M (6 needed) Newey & Eyre XR036050
    MK Tough plug £3.50 Newey & Eyre
    MK IEC MALE £1.99 Maplins
    Insulation Tape (b) £1.00 Maplins

Total £7.43

(Note Newey & Eyre need 24hrs to order cable)

GAZZ

GAZZ, Aug 4, 2003
  7. GAZZ

zanash

Now you can see what I've been going on about !!
    The effort verse cost is pretty good, now you'll have to try some of the other bits, like the L'argent and the isotrans.

zanash, Aug 5, 2003
  8. GAZZ

GAZZ

How hard are they to make and do i need a to solder.
    I take it they are interconnects Zanash ?

GAZZ

GAZZ, Aug 5, 2003
  9. GAZZ

zanash

sorry for the wait broadband was down.

PM with you email addressand I'll send you the recipe card and other bits.

zanash, Aug 7, 2003
  10. GAZZ

GAZZ

zanash, is your Lynwood the mega version with 3 plugs? IMO it was worth every penny, it cost me £225 new from the Manchesre Airport show last year.

GAZZ

GAZZ, Aug 7, 2003
  11. GAZZ

zanash

No mine has two, I've had mine about ten years.

I always miss it when its not in the loop.

The TTS who did you get all the core into the plugs ? I had to devise a method to reduce the overal dia. without reducing the performance.

zanash, Aug 8, 2003
  12. GAZZ

GAZZ

Yes, But i only used 1.5mm cable it was still a struggle in the iec end. On the plug side it was tricky to get the earth cable in. What size cable did you use?

Have you thought about making a power supply similar to the Lynwood?

GAZZ

GAZZ, Aug 9, 2003
  13. GAZZ

zanash

I reduced the number of wires as they approched the plug [the last 5cm]. This was not easy and took several attempts before I achieved the right finish. Basically take two brown wires and splice into one, which then continues and the next brown wire is spliced in. This is repeated for the blue and the ground. Remember that insulation to high standard is essential.

zanash, Aug 11, 2003
  14. GAZZ

GAZZ

What size cable did you use Zanash? I had to reduce the amount of shielding going to the earth down to 7-10 threads per cable.

GAZZ

GAZZ, Aug 11, 2003
  15. GAZZ

zanash

At the IEC end No shielding was connected, at the 3 pin end about the same ammount as the earth.

zanash, Aug 11, 2003
Ask a Question