Shostakovich

Discussion in 'Classical Music' started by Coda II, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Coda II

Coda II getting there slowly

Seven Romances On Poems of Alexander Blok, Op 127

Does anyone know anything about these songs? Heard a recital by Susan Gritton on radio a year or so ago. Not what I was expecting (don't really know what I was expecting come to that) very lyrical for Russian I guess, no reason it shouldn't be, but things sometimes take you by surprise.

Coda II, Jan 11, 2005
  2. Coda II

I know, looks a bit sad replying to my own question but...

Found the above on a recording by Galina Vishnevskaya, not much choice in this case but looks like it should be good.

Point of the post is that the BBC Radio 3 website is becoming a very useful resource. The composer biography section includes an extensive discography (with clips) within which I found it much easier to locate these songs than I had at Amazon. Recommended.

Coda II, Jan 13, 2005
  3. Coda II

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

alanbeeb, Jan 17, 2005
  4. Coda II

Thanks for the pointer, site looks useful as I know very little of the rest of his work (coincidentally cello concerto is on R3 at present)

The line that stands out in the review for me is:

"Gerassimova's voice possesses a silvery gloss as compared with Galina Vishnevskaya's brassy timbre" hmm...

Am keeping to the same Amazon order for now partly because I would prefer an all song disc and partly for the Rostropovich connection. Btw, it's not the live recording in your link but this one:

http://www.dschjournal.com/reviews/rvs21op109.htm

which also includes a review of a Magdalena Kozená disc; two threads answered in one!

Coda II, Jan 17, 2005
  5. Coda II

alanbeeb Grumpy young fogey

Well, you'll be missing the 2nd piano trio then.... its a masterpiece which I strongly recommend if you don't already know it.

alanbeeb, Jan 17, 2005
  6. Coda II

No I don't, but - heard the Scherzo on radio last week, and it's not music to drive to; have to admit I couldn't really see myself sitting down to it at home either.

Coda II, Feb 1, 2005
Ask a Question